Author Topic: Key security  (Read 7378 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Key security
« Reply #40 on: 01 March 2021, 22:46 »
One of the best features of the Mk8 is being able to turn off keyless in the menus, permanently :)

Thats assuming that you've got it fixed to start with, so far on most cars it doesn't actually work most of the time even when switched on!

You might just have got VW another sale with that info.

So, on Mk8 there is a menu option to switch off ...Cool

On the Mk 7.5 is there not a menu option ? So you need to make do with pressing button on door handle when you’ve locked the car each time.

Thanks

Correct.

Which is fine on the mk7.5 if you can remember to do it. I'd forget.

This is my issue too. I don't want keyless entry at all, I don't want to have to keep remembering to touch the handle every time.

Touching the handle just becomes part of the normal locking process, in the same way that switching off stop start has become part of my normal engine starting procedure.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #41 on: 02 March 2021, 00:57 »
Keyless disabled today!

I used it once, to open the door on the dealer's forecourt.

That's it.

(when you disable it, its still keyless start, just not keyless entry.... you can't however push the start button without having unlocked the car!)
This makes me happy.  I will definitely be disabling keyless entry now then.  Thanks, Fred!
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline G3neralBanter

• Not said much yet
« Reply #42 on: 04 March 2021, 15:54 »
According to the dealer, the Mk8 key and car has some clever tech that omits a number of conflicting signals which makes it very difficult (but i doubt impossible) to replicate. Not saying thats a reason not to be safe, but sounds like the tech is advancing

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #43 on: 04 March 2021, 16:33 »
According to the dealer, the Mk8 key and car has some clever tech that omits a number of conflicting signals which makes it very difficult (but i doubt impossible) to replicate. Not saying thats a reason not to be safe, but sounds like the tech is advancing

I've read nothing about that.... the only "clever" solutuion is a key with a motion sensor.

You can also make the timings tighter but that can cause problems too.

The motion sensing keyfob is great for home, not great in other environments. They can also steal your car in a car park as you walk away...

I've read dozens of security evaluations on keyless entry security....
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC