Author Topic: Key security  (Read 7379 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: Key security
« Reply #20 on: 20 February 2021, 11:44 »
Just turn it off. Such poor, unnecessary tech that leads to needing a sad little pouch to hold your keys  :rolleyes:
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #21 on: 20 February 2021, 16:18 »
you don't need to spend a load of money on a pouch. eBay and Amazon ones for a few quid will suffice.
Yeah, I have seen them.  Problem is that they're all too big, as I said in my OP.  I'm just looking for a smart little one that fits just the fob, nice and snug with RFID protection.  It's not actually all about the RFID thing and I may just end up turning it off, as folks have suggested.  I want to be able to chuck it in my pocket and protect it from the other contents and vice-versa.  The one in the video I posted would have been perfect but it's out of stock.  If you know of a similar, small one, then I would appreciate a link.

Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 20 February 2021, 17:03 »
I seem to remember someone said they kept their key in an empty Quavers packet.  :undecided:

Cheesy does it  :wink:
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #23 on: 20 February 2021, 17:55 »
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 22 February 2021, 09:47 »
Just turn it off. Such poor, unnecessary tech that leads to needing a sad little pouch to hold your keys  :rolleyes:

One of better features introduced to the MK 7.5 was ability to disable the KESSY, which do every time, press the fob to lock and brush the handle and on hearing a second click the KESSY is disabled, with only way to open being by the fob, ala days before such foolery. 
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 22 February 2021, 09:53 »

One of better features introduced to the MK 7.5 was ability to disable the KESSY, which do every time, press the fob to lock and brush the handle and on hearing a second click the KESSY is disabled, with only way to open being by the fob, ala days before such foolery.

I do this each time I lock my car. Keyless isn’t something I would choose to have, but it was part of the standard spec on my car.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #26 on: 22 February 2021, 10:05 »
One of the best features of the Mk8 is being able to turn off keyless in the menus, permanently :)

Thats assuming that you've got it fixed to start with, so far on most cars it doesn't actually work most of the time even when switched on!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline M6TT F

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 22 February 2021, 11:27 »
I must be in the minority, as I love the keyless entry functionality. Never have to worry about looking for your key, which is a godsend for me

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 22 February 2021, 11:40 »
It’s a great option- until you look out on your driveway and your car is missing 😂

A triumph of marketing over engineering.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 22 February 2021, 12:43 »
If it's easier for you to get in, then chances are it's easier for someone else to get in too. As long as there are undesirables around i'll prioritise the security of having a key over the very minor inconvenience of having to lift a key out of my pocket.
« Last Edit: 22 February 2021, 12:47 by Guzzle »
7.5 GTD