Author Topic: Key security  (Read 7349 times)

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
Key security
« on: 09 January 2021, 12:30 »
So I’m having my new GTI delivered next month and I have been warned by about thieves in the area scanning for car keys. As the GTI key is keyless entry sort should I get a faraday pouch? Thoughts?

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
Re: Key security
« Reply #1 on: 09 January 2021, 12:36 »
Why would you not?
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 09 January 2021, 12:37 »
They are like £2 on eBay why wouldnt you?

MK7 GTi

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 09 January 2021, 12:47 »
Absolutely get one.
7.5 GTD

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 09 January 2021, 13:07 »
No brainer as everyone says. Think I got 2 for £4. I presume you can disable keyless too like you can on the Mk7.That’s what I always  do.

Also bought myself a disclock which has been on an S3 and now the R.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 09 January 2021, 13:45 »
Thanks all, I never had keyless entry before, I seems a stupid idea to me, may as well hang the spare key on the door.

Offline skippy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 09 January 2021, 14:15 »
Yes 2 pouches, one for the spare key too!
MK7.5 2020, Isaac Blue, standard spec

Gone but certainly not forgotten Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TSI

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 09 January 2021, 14:22 »
No brainer as everyone says. Think I got 2 for £4. I presume you can disable keyless too like you can on the Mk7.That’s what I always  do.

I’d be surprised if you can’t. I always do this with my Polo GTI+ which has keyless as standard (given the choice I wouldn’t have specc’d it - using the buttons on the key fob to lock / unlock the car and key to start the car is no hardship!)

If using Faraday pouches, we aware that the metallic lining in these pouches can fail over time, so it’s always advisable to check them periodically to ensure they’re still blocking the signal - easy to check; just put the key in the pouch and with the key+pouch on your person, try opening your locked car. If the door opens, time to get a replacement pouch.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 09 January 2021, 14:37 »

I’d be surprised if you can’t. I always do this with my Polo GTI+ which has keyless as standard (given the choice I wouldn’t have specc’d it - using the buttons on the key fob to lock / unlock the car and key to start the car is no hardship!)

If using Faraday pouches, we aware that the metallic lining in these pouches can fail over time, so it’s always advisable to check them periodically to ensure they’re still blocking the signal - easy to check; just put the key in the pouch and with the key+pouch on your person, try opening your locked car. If the door opens, time to get a replacement pouch.

Totally agree. Good point about checking that the pouches are still working as they should. I always forget to check.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #9 on: 09 January 2021, 17:15 »
Does the mk8 key really not have a motion sensor in it that shuts down the signal if its not moving after a few seconds?

Most other keyless systems have that after keyless theft has been around for a long time.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC