Author Topic: Finally Fred Drives a Mk8 GTI  (Read 7347 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: Finally Fred Drives a Mk8 GTI
« Reply #20 on: 15 December 2020, 11:01 »
A good write up Fred.

Think you could live with those steering wheels buttons and the general user interface of the Mk8?
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #21 on: 15 December 2020, 11:15 »
A good write up Fred.

Think you could live with those steering wheels buttons and the general user interface of the Mk8?

I think I probably could - I just think its going to take more time to get used to than the mechanical buttons of the Mk7 though.

Which seems daft. It was a leap too far and its going to cost them dearly because most people won't see it as progress or something they could get used to.

I've managed to get my hands on a user guide for the Mk8 now - quick google image search for a UK mk8, stick the reg plate into the VW online user manual.

It's interesting. There are even more clever bits of tech buried in it than meets the eye. All sorts of safety systems that work in conjuction with the car. I don't think I've seen any car with as much advanced electronics actually. Much like the Mk7 was technically far more advanced than the competition, the Mk8 still is - its just that a lot of it isn't headline grabbing.

For example, it has a system that can detect oncoming traffic when you overtake and swerve you back into your lane. Seen that before? Nope, nobody has written about that. I tell you why, its because none of the reviewers have bothered to read the manual! It's not the only system either, there are dozens of new clever bits.

No reviews talk about the ACC with roundabout and bend detection either - not a sausage. I've only seen that written about by an article on a "new" Passat maybe 18 months ago. Nothing since.

Car2X? Nobody else apart from VAG has that yet. Where are you BMW?

However, all of this has gone to waste because everything said about the Mk8 is about the sub-optimal user interface that is not familiar enough. They do need a slap for that.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 15 December 2020, 12:44 »
I know what you mean. Even Audi hasn't gone this far and the new Skodas and Seats/Cupras are still using button on the wheel and the dash. I think they have tried to be too clever and it will definitely backfire. They also failed to make it look fantastic from the outside as well. Not a great combination.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 15 December 2020, 14:20 »
I know what you mean. Even Audi hasn't gone this far and the new Skodas and Seats/Cupras are still using button on the wheel and the dash. I think they have tried to be too clever and it will definitely backfire. They also failed to make it look fantastic from the outside as well. Not a great combination.
I've just ordered a new large family car, and for me the physical HAVC buttons were a big factor in decision. I can just about live with buttonless infotainment (because most of what I do is on Carplay/Siri), but the thought of being fully loaded and having to look down at screens (especially in the dark) when all I want to do is adjust the temperature, left me cold towards Audi Q7 and my money went elsewhere.

:)
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 15 December 2020, 15:01 »
My 128 test drive is next week

Or not as it would seem.... some sort of BMW related problem with getting demonstrators registered this year  :cry:

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #25 on: 15 December 2020, 15:17 »
Had a test drive as well. There is a definite exhaust/road noise drone on the motorway. Around town, the exhaust is quite noisy too - tried eco and comfort modes but didn't seem that different.

Steering wheel buttons - oh dear..... I didn't manage to put the steering wheel heating on but then I didn't manage to do anything else with them either :laugh:.  They feel cheap and nasty - like something from a budget car.

Nice environment to sit in - was pleasantly surprised as thought it might be too minimalist. Felt 'cocooned' and comfortable in the seat and nice driving position. Didn't get to play with the touch screen too much as didn't have a long test drive. The temperature control and volume buttons were a bit of a faff. Not that many cubby holes - only really the one under the arm rest.

Ride comfort was a bit harsh for me on rougher roads - was on 18s and standard suspension with comfort setting.

I guess I could get used to the buttons/interface issues (but should we have to on a car such as this? :angry:)

The 2 issues for me are ride comfort and noise. I guess DCC would take care of the ride so that just leaves the exhaust. For hardened hot hatch owners (most of you) that is unlikely to be an issue, probably a positive. For me, who is really only after a 'petrol GTD', I'm not sure I could live with it.
« Last Edit: 15 December 2020, 15:23 by ar899 »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 15 December 2020, 15:25 »
Ride comfort was a bit harsh for me on rougher roads - was on 18s and standard suspension with comfort setting.

What are you currently driving? GTD with 18's and DCC?

The 2 issues for me are ride comfort and noise. I guess DCC would take care of the ride so that just leaves the exhaust. For hardened hot hatch owners (most of you) that is unlikely to be an issue, probably a positive. For me, who is really only after a 'petrol GTD', I'm not sure I could live with it.

Its funny, a lot of talk is always about making a Golf exhaust louder.... I don't know, is a Mk7.5 GTI as noisy??

My Mk7 and Mk7.5 GTD's were both noisy at the back, but not exhaust noisy, just road noise.

You don't think the "exhaust" noise is actually a fake internal sound effect? I didn't try setting an individual profile with the fake noise turned down to eco.... just wondering now if it was that? On my GTD I've got it set like that.
« Last Edit: 15 December 2020, 15:35 by fredgroves »

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #27 on: 15 December 2020, 15:36 »

What are you currently driving? GTD with 18's and DCC?

Its funny, a lot of talk is always about making a Golf exhaust louder.... I don't know, is a Mk7.5 GTI as noisy??

My Mk7 and Mk7.5 GTD's were both noisy at the back, but not exhaust noisy, just road noise.

Currently driving a Fiesta ST Line. Fully expect a performance Golf to be a lot harsher (have test driven 7.5 GTD & GTI) and it sounds like the latest DCC will make it compliant enough for me. I live in a city and lots of poor roads.

I wasn't expecting the exhaust, though. From what I had read, I thought it had been toned down a bit, but it seemed at least as loud, if not louder, than a 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 15 December 2020, 15:44 »
You don't think the "exhaust" noise is actually a fake internal sound effect? I didn't try setting an individual profile with the fake noise turned down to eco.... just wondering now if it was that? On my GTD I've got it set like that.

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #29 on: 15 December 2020, 15:49 »
Could be, but I tried both ECO and comfort modes and couldn't really tell any difference. It felt like more of a real exhaust note coming from the rear rather than something 'piped in'.

I'm not complaining - it's a performance car after all. It just means it might not be for me.