Author Topic: Mark 8. Gtd info  (Read 12432 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Mark 8. Gtd info
« Reply #20 on: 05 October 2020, 20:05 »
Low emissions? Cheap fuel?

Assuming you use it and not just drive half a mile to waitrose once a week.

Neither of those things have changed despite what some lunatics want to say.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 05 October 2020, 20:14 »
Fred is spot on. Most of the anti-diesel rhetoric is sentiment rather than science.

No reason not to keep one beyond 2 to 3 years; that's when the depreciation will flatten out.
7.5 GTD

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 06 October 2020, 07:00 »
Low emissions? Cheap fuel?

Assuming you use it and not just drive half a mile to waitrose once a week.

Neither of those things have changed despite what some lunatics want to say.
cheap fuel? Diesel is more than petrol and has been for years so it's hardly a draw any more like it was years ago.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #23 on: 06 October 2020, 08:45 »
My long term average mpg is over fifty... That's about 20% improvement over a similar sized petrol engine.

20% is a fair bit, perhaps not if your annual mileage is not four figures, but for me, yes.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #24 on: 06 October 2020, 10:46 »
I do (or well did) 18k a year and am looking at petrol rather than diesel. Assuming I go back to the office a couple of days a week, 10 miles each way at 30/50 mph wouldn't be any good for a diesel and neither would be my 2 mile round trip to Waitrose (well Aldi....). Even with reduced commuting, I'll still be doing 14-15k a year. Concerned that over time, I'll get banned from some city centres - though remains to be seen if councils have the power to do that as goes against government guidelines. 

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 06 October 2020, 11:55 »
Choosing a petrol car over a diesel car is no guarantee that you won't be banned from driving in a city centre;-

https://www.autocar.co.uk/carnews/industry/oxford-set-introduce-city-centre-zero-emission-zone-2020

In any case, driving in busy city centres these days can be more trouble than it's worth. I avoid it wherever possible. They're full of bus lanes, pedestrianised areas, mind boggling one way systems, double yellow lines and expensive car parks.

That said, after 15+ years of driving diesel cars, unless my annual mileage increases unexpectedly and significantly, this one is likely to be my last. Unless VWFS do some special PCH deals on GTD's or Octavia vRS TDi's. Otherwise I'll probably be keeping the 7.5 GTD for a while yet though.
« Last Edit: 06 October 2020, 11:57 by Guzzle »
7.5 GTD

Offline Al1040

• Here all the time
« Reply #26 on: 06 October 2020, 12:03 »
Same here, looks like I shall be keeping the GTD for many years to come esp with it being Euro 6 and no Adblue.
I do not do the miles that I did but with well over 50mpg and diesel at worst being a couple of pence more expensive it still makes economical sense and is bloody quick when you want it to be :smiley:
67 Plate Mk 7.5 GTD DSG

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 06 October 2020, 19:25 »
It’s a sign of the times that the GTE has been given the same power output as a GTI and the GTD the same as an ID.3
The new kids caught up with and soon to overtake the old stagers.

A 200PS Diesel sports hatch might no longer be the darling of the company car driver and TDI’s in general have been fallen out of love with, but there will still be a market for them albeit much reduced, possibly more country specific than ever depending on local tax rules.
If the mk8 GTD wasn’t so visually unappealing to my eyes I’d certainly have considered one.
A few of us on here have lamented the fact VW never produced a 240PS twin turbo 4wd Golf since the mk6 days. Fat chance of that ever happening nowadays which is a shame now that Diesel sport hatches are even more niche than ever once again.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 06 October 2020, 20:00 »
No twin-turbo TDi Golf, it's a shame that never happened. Although you can now have an Audi S4 or S5 in diesel flavour. Bit rich for my budget though  :sad:
7.5 GTD

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 06 October 2020, 20:58 »
Stratospherically out of my budget! I don’t like big saloons or estates anyway. Smallish and lightish only for me.
From what I’ve read the TDI S4 suffers a fair bit of lag which is totally what you don’t want in a fast Diesel on top of the low rev ceiling.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner