Author Topic: XL Tyres for GTD  (Read 3922 times)

Offline Pinky1959

• GTI forum regular
XL Tyres for GTD
« on: 03 August 2018, 08:18 »
I have ordered new tyres for the GTD but I clicked on the ones with the extra load symbol by mistake , The garage say the tyres will last longer as they will be better as the GTD is a heavy car and I wont notice any difference .
I am not sure , does anyone know if they are right or should I get them changed .
Thanks in advance

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: XL Tyres for GTD
« Reply #1 on: 03 August 2018, 16:56 »
Not sure about them lasting longer (I think that’s the garage giving you the usual sales patter to try and get you to buy them!). They may give a firmer ride though than your current tyres, as compared to non-XL tyres, XL tyres tend to have stiffer reinforced sidewalls to support the heavier weight they’re designed to take.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 04 August 2018, 09:49 »
The GTD isn't that heavy a car. It's a family hatchback, other heavier cars are available. That said, a quick look on Black Circles website, nearly all the tyres that come up for 18/225/40 are XL rated.

7.5 GTD

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 04 August 2018, 10:09 »
Heavy!
I was told it is 1/5 lighter than my 06 Mk5 2litre TDI.
I certaily has a narrower and shorter boot and more plastic (everywhere).

Dont accept the tyres, the numpty is simply trying to avoid reordering/restocking with that statement imo.

Offline Pinky1959

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 04 August 2018, 22:20 »
I am thinking of asking them to change them for Michelin PS4 s but am thinking ! !  will this make the car different as the PS4s  will be more grippy and on the front but the bridgestones Reo05 on the back, or other way round ?.

Offline JHWP

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 04 August 2018, 22:25 »
The GTD comes with XL rated tyres from the factory (at least my MY14 MK7 GTD did). Volkswagen spec XL rated tyres with the car from new so if you are replacing them I'd recommend sticking with XL rated tyres. If you ordered XL rated tyres you ordered the correct ones, as opposed to non XL rated tyres. What rating do your tyres that you are replacing have?

Offline Pinky1959

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 05 August 2018, 15:24 »
I was just out washing the wheels and the tyres that are on are XL , They are soo1 rather than REO05 but I don't think that makes any difference hopefully .

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 05 August 2018, 15:51 »
Unfortunately neither of those Bridgestone's are great tyres.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4, Good Year Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 or Continental Sport Contact 5 would all have been a better bet.

But if you've been happy enough with them up to now then I suppose they'll be fine.
7.5 GTD

Offline JHWP

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 05 August 2018, 18:48 »
I've just fitted a full set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 225/40 R18 (92Y) XL TL to my GTD. Brilliant tyres.

Offline Pinky1959

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 07 August 2018, 21:43 »
I went in yesterday but the Bridgestones are on back order so I went with Michelin PS4 s , when the others wear out I can get them at Costco if they end up cheaper than here .
Thanks for all the help.