Author Topic: Timing Chain tensioner Failure List (timing issue)- Please Update with Your Info  (Read 362549 times)

Offline C3PO

• GTI forum regular
VW Crosshills (near Skipton, North Yorkshire) :huh: why? Because its were I purchased the car from new, and their customer service is the best around. Well worth the 130 mile drive.

what final cost did you have to pay? Ben @ Crosshills should be calling me tomorrow for updates. Thinking mine should be done by Tuesday

Final costs for a 50000 service, new alloy wheel, new camshaft, tensioner, chain, spark plugs etc was £150.

Like I said very happy with what they have done, great care taken with my car.

Ben mentioned they found something else, has he said what it was? I saw yours on the ramp when I collected mine yesterday.
Mk6 GTI, 18" monza shadows, Leather, Bluetooth Phone - gone

Mark 7 R, 19" wheels, lapiz blue, 5 door, leather, reversing camera - gone

2018 Audi S5 Sportback, pano roof, LED Headlights  B&O sound system - gone

Current 2020 Golf GTI TCR, pure grey, pano roof , 90% tints and Akrapovic exhaust.

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
VW Crosshills (near Skipton, North Yorkshire) :huh: why? Because its were I purchased the car from new, and their customer service is the best around. Well worth the 130 mile drive.

what final cost did you have to pay? Ben @ Crosshills should be calling me tomorrow for updates. Thinking mine should be done by Tuesday

Final costs for a 50000 service, new alloy wheel, new camshaft, tensioner, chain, spark plugs etc was £150.

Like I said very happy with what they have done, great care taken with my car.

Ben mentioned they found something else, has he said what it was? I saw yours on the ramp when I collected mine yesterday.

yeah something about a rubber plug, wasnt 100% which part he meant, said the part should be in Monday so might be ready for evening collection  :smiley:
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline C3PO

• GTI forum regular
That's good then, nothing serious.
Mk6 GTI, 18" monza shadows, Leather, Bluetooth Phone - gone

Mark 7 R, 19" wheels, lapiz blue, 5 door, leather, reversing camera - gone

2018 Audi S5 Sportback, pano roof, LED Headlights  B&O sound system - gone

Current 2020 Golf GTI TCR, pure grey, pano roof , 90% tints and Akrapovic exhaust.

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
That's good then, nothing serious.

Got it back today...Yeah !!!!

Ultra quiet on start up and it feels great overall with it just having major service.

Man it make you feel so lucky to be in a GTI when you have been in a bog standard Polo for 10 days.

MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
Ross can we have a video to compare please. Just remember neutral  :wink:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
Ross can we have a video to compare please. Just remember neutral  :wink:

Lol, yeah ill get one in next few days  :smiley:

Offline Obbzi

• I live here
Just a quick note, I took my car to VW Bolton today for a service (even though I've only done 400 miles with my brand new engine  :rolleyes:) and when I booked it in told the bloke it had a brand new engine, he asked why and when I said chain tensioner he laughed and said they had one in at the moment and done lots recently! VW are very much aware of the problem and some dealers seem to be in denial for some strange reason :whistle:
2008 R32 DBP gone. 2008 GT TDI going 2009 GTI coming soon!

Offline hms

• Just got here
Hi all,

I am having a lot of trouble getting a good resolution to this problem. Full info on my post:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=263151.0

In brief they say fault is timing chain slipped cause unclear but tensioner is not at fault. VWCS will not contribute, dealership have offered to do for £3,500. I am somewhat outraged but this is better than £6400.

I am still waiting for them to get back after I said that was unacceptable.

My main question is this - the dealership who had not really heard of or experienced the tensioner failure have said it was working. They stripped it out and showed me that when they squeezed it down with a finger it sprang back. I have no idea what the faulty one looks like and how much tension should it offer? Should you be able to press it down with your fingers or should it require a lot more force?

Thanks very much in advance.

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
£3500 is a disgrace !!!! - The tensioner doesn't actually have to fully fail to cause this problem. Its the chain which is the problem. If the chain over time gets too slack it will come off, the tensioner should pull it tight, if for some reason the the ratchet doesn't spring back / pull tight the chain will jump.

So keep fighting and push really hard, There is nothing else that can cause it.

Is it still under warranty or less than 60,000 miles ( engine and transmission warranty).

Offline hms

• Just got here
No warranty sadly - I think that the 60,000 mile 'Powertrain warranty' is a VW USA warranty, which again is a shame. I hope if I get nowhere pushing VWCS that I would have grounds to take action that the car is not fit for purpose - a £35000 vehicle (after finance etc) outlay should realistically be expected to last more than 4.5 years or 47,000 miles. I asked the service manager if he was in my shoes would he be satisfied with that offer - he just looked sheepish as he knew it's a disgrace.