Author Topic: Where to go now...  (Read 884 times)

Offline peaky83

• Here all the time
Where to go now...
« on: 21 November 2007, 10:19 »
Ok i have a JL w3 D2 running on an alpine 240rms Vpower amp, with  phoenix gold tantrum series 5" front component speakers running from the HU on HPF setting 50Hz the sub has 50hz and below, I cant decide whether to bump the fronts up to 80hz and the sub....

Also any reccommendations to make it louder or clearer welcome....

Dan

Offline Heyho

• Here all the time
Re: Where to go now...
« Reply #1 on: 21 November 2007, 20:38 »
It's all down to how it sounds best to you really, but for a basic setting, most people use 80hz as a starting point - then just experiment from there.

Some people overlap the settings, some run the front speakers full range - ie with no filtering or "flat" - provided you're not boosting the bass too much, or using the loudness feature, this can work well.  Others underlap the settings - ie sub LPF @ 80hz, front speakers HPF @ 100hz.

The settings on the amp aren't a total cut-off point, but a point on a diminishing curve - the steepness of the curve depends upon the "slope" of the crossover.  This means that front speakers set with an HPF @ 100hz will still be getting some frequencies lower than this, just at a reduced level, and the lower you go, the more the level is reduced.

Offline peaky83

• Here all the time
Re: Where to go now...
« Reply #2 on: 22 November 2007, 11:16 »
I was thinking about getting some 3way components, 8" bass/mid drivers, 5.25" mid drivers and 1.5" tweeters but amp them up...

3 problems, what amp, which speakers (max £250) and i will need to build some floor pods for the 8"drivers where and how?