Author Topic: Advice for my 2nd golf mk3  (Read 5278 times)

Offline Walshy155

• Not said much yet
Advice for my 2nd golf mk3
« on: 12 November 2016, 18:25 »
Hello there gtiforum, I have signed up to request some knowledge of the experts. I've recently bought anot her golf mk3, my first mk3 was a flash red 1995 golf rolling stones edition with the 1.6 AEA engine, after reluctantly selling that and going to Peugeot 206 GTI 180 which was a decent car but not a golf so now I have a golf 1.8 with the ADZ engine which is 1996 and has no rust and is pretty much unscathed with 90k miles, I'm very happy with the car and for the price £170. Anyway to ask my question I was wondering after styling the car to my taste and also sorting the handling out, what engine mods could I do as I have no idea with these engines being single point injected so the experts here must know. Cams, forced induction, exhaust, intake, engine swaps? What can I do guys which isn't a massive amount of money how hard is it to get the car a little nipper maybe 100-140 at the wheels, not sure how hard it is to swap the VR6 or ABF into this car I've read the drop in and they don't. Or shall I keep the engine and maybe go down the route of cams or carbs. Please advise me, thanks very much

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: Advice for my 2nd golf mk3
« Reply #1 on: 13 November 2016, 08:49 »
Abf or vr will drop straight in.
If you want to mod that engine. 4 branch manifold of a mk2 will go on. Gti 8v cam. Port and polished
Put some bike carbs on it or throttle bodies so that the rubish single point injections gone.
Dont think itll go 140 whp but itll be fairly fun to drive

Offline Walshy155

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 13 November 2016, 17:35 »
Thanks for the advice mate, so if I want to run a VR6 or ABF will I need the donor engines wiring loom and ecu or anything else, also the gearbox i currently have will not fit and will be too weak I assume and will only be a 5 speed
« Last Edit: 13 November 2016, 17:40 by Walshy155 »

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #3 on: 13 November 2016, 17:49 »
Vr is only 5 speed anyway.
To put a vr into yours you will want. Engine, gearbox loom exhaust etc and some 280mm front brakes.
Or a full written off vr to get all of it, dependent on if you want the seats and such.
You and a couple of mates who are handy with a spanner should be able to smash it all out in a weekend.
I once built a mk2 (one shell to another) in 9 hours with a mate. Mk3 is practically the same

Offline Walshy155

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 13 November 2016, 18:01 »
Okay cheers mate, just looking for a cheap vr6 and box or ABF and box, I've got access to a full garage for free and a mate who will do say job for a few cans so I could pull it off, I'm not after a fast mk3 just a tidy one so I don't mind between the ABF or VR which is better do you think mate, I've read that the gearing on the ABF is better than the VR but the VR does have that amazing v6 sound, I've done some research when I had my old mk3 AEA and the carbs sounded a good idea, I could fabricate any intake's needed  but are carbs reliable, I'm trying to keep this on a budget as I sadly bought an Asia rocsta which needs to go to make money for the golf
« Last Edit: 13 November 2016, 18:03 by Walshy155 »

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #5 on: 13 November 2016, 18:19 »
Ummm carbs are alright... They needs balancing and setting up by someone who knows what there doing.
I had a mate with a 1.3gt on bike carbs that quite easilly kept up with my 1.6.

And ide personally go abf... But thats only because i have a a4 v6 so wouldnt need the vr sound aswell. Both are priced the same.

If your on a budget, ide do it in stages. Brakes, handleing and then the engine last

Offline Walshy155

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 13 November 2016, 18:45 »
Thanks for the advice mate, I think I'll do it in stages and go down the mk2 exhaust, 8v gti cams and other engine mods first and Ill also do the handling. In the end I may go for carbe or if I find a good low milage engine and box I may grab it. Just out of curiosity also how much can the fueling be adjusted on the SPI, as far as I know they are electronically fuel controlled so would that help with a turbo fitment or is it complete pants to supply any extra fuel? You've been a star mate, a lot of foggy details around the net and you've been helpful cheers4

Also another question when you said 8v cam is that the mk3 or mk2? 
« Last Edit: 13 November 2016, 19:30 by Walshy155 »

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #7 on: 13 November 2016, 21:31 »
Either id suppose. Mk2 gti will go straight in.
A mate did it and informed me when i had a spi engine. Never enquired further as was fitti g a different engine.

As far as supplying fuel i had a mkr pump in mine and it put more fuel through it i think but its 1 injector and for anysort of power increase id personally say is as good as a chocolate fireguard. Haha

Offline Walshy155

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 14 November 2016, 20:25 »
Okay mate so as far as I know I'm going to order the mk2 gti 8v cam and 4branch manifold, any other bits I can bolt on?

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #9 on: 14 November 2016, 22:00 »
Exhaust. Infact i have a never fitted 4 branch. But will need a decat pipe making up.
Exhaust would be pretty pointless long term if. Your changing engine as the bore will be wrong for it