Author Topic: grungeisdead - "project muppet another mk1 joins the flock"  (Read 56482 times)

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
Re: grungeisdead - "project muppet another mk1 joins the flock"
« Reply #60 on: 06 August 2008, 23:15 »
Me and walsh started on the floor today, got a fair bit done, also s iifted thru a few more of the spare parts

couple of pics after a hoover

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #61 on: 08 August 2008, 00:20 »
somre more done on the floor pan and transmission tunnel, made a bit of a start on the firewall

wire brushed the seam welds to get rif of some of the surface rust

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #62 on: 19 August 2008, 00:32 »
Well been quiet on the car front for the past week, as I've been chilling with the family and covered most of the UK doing the rounds hahaha

Still managed to aquire some goodies in the time

Brand New Remus Exhaust with Lifetime warranty woo, ebay nos bargain

Had a trial fit of it today and it looks like itll be reet, will strap it up with the hanger tomorrow to check for certain but looks like it will sit okay in the valance

Been stripping back the underseal in the engine bay and scuttle panel and wirebrushing some rust.

my por15 and huge bottle of metal ready arrived aswell so can get cracking on that at some point in the week.

hoppy turned up as well in the cadwana. mmm

and ive bought another car :-D, getting collected tomorrow hopefully

Taxed and Tested which means i can bring this to edition 38 and give my sister her clio back. yay!

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #63 on: 20 August 2008, 00:42 »
finished the last of the wire brushing of all the surface rust, although i managed to uncover a hole in the bulkhead so thats another wee job for when i can get someone who can weld round.

holy moly

doused in metal ready

starting sifting thru the box with the mounts in, bit confused so have taken a picture of evertyhign laid out and will have to get in touch with dave (trooper25) and find out what everythings for

And hoppys mini adventure collecting my new car, danke dude

[quote name='HoppyGTi' post='1130312' date='Tuesday 19th August 2008 - 9:56pm']Right, the task was simple..........go to a local town 25 miles away, collect a car & drive it home................How hard could it be?????

The ride Mk1 Polo, T reg with 895cc's of fury under the bonnet, full MOT & Tax.

I was on time to collect the motor, made another Dub friend as we discussed the details of the deal, handed over some dollar for the car & drove away.

I added £10 worth of Shell's finest petroleum distilate and ..............................................

This is where it all went wrong.

Seems as though the old girl wanted to suck up it's own faecal matter through the fuel line, causing much jumpyness & lack of power.

After getting one tow from a friendly MK2 Golf Driver (with a full leather interior I add) and being towed to a garage I though every thing was fine.

But another 2 miles on & things were serious.  The lack of power & sudden engine dying made it impossible to be safe on the road without some one pile driving me up the ass  :oops: So i took the decision it was too dangerous to continue, so pulled on over.

So it was down to this;

(Check out the AA man's face  :lol: )

Whilst broken down, a friendly group of passing aircooled people stopped to offer a hand, which was nice.  The result of this little meeting has found me another 3 local friends & another local meet!!!!

THIS IS WHY I LOVE DUBS!!!!!

Anyways.  Journey should have taken about 40 mins, in the end too me 2.75 hours!!!

Oh well..................still smiling

Finally at home!!!

[/quote]

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #64 on: 20 August 2008, 23:46 »

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #65 on: 23 August 2008, 00:20 »
wooo, busy wee day.

beenas finally met its new owner, soon to be 20vt'd

housemate finally got himself a car, turns out its a sweet dub, sorted :)

another piccie of the exhaust

got the rear panel in primer

engine bays done in por15 now

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #66 on: 24 August 2008, 19:00 »
yesterday we went down t hoppys go to pick up the wee polo, armed with some spare leads, a new fuel filter and some odd tools we were all set.

got there and the old fuel filter was pure jank man so whipped that off and the rubber gasket that sits inbetween the airbox and the carb was slightly perished so we just bodged it back in place as best as we could.

the wee beasty fired up after that, took it for a wee spin adn bar a knocking from a cv joint all was absolutely sweet. couldnt help but do my first bit of modding and ripped all the badges off the front.

so off we went daaan to la pub, got there 5 mins before the uber food deal was  ending, score XD

got back to manchester safe and sound, so today i swapped over the wheels for the lorbers and changed teh driveshaft while i was at it for a spare i had, the outer cv boot on the passenger side has split which caused the knocking

pikey'd earth strap, on the job list to sort out, the jump lead is connected to the battery earth :lol:

couple of engine bay shots

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #67 on: 25 August 2008, 22:31 »
woke up well late today and couldnt really be arsed but after tommy made me a killer steak sammich i was ready to roll

painted the hood satin black, and underside with por15

painted the front panel in por15 and decided to poke at some holes... bad idea!

holy moly

gearbox mount

or this way

and there are two types of clutch operations for the lupo engines i assume, cable and hydraulic.

is this setup the cable

and this the hydraulic?

(which connects to another cylinder operated by the clutch pedal
if so ill stick with the cable as it minimises the amount of plumbing, pedal box and bulkhead modifications, it just means i cant use the regular lupo gearbox mount in conjunction with this one unless i get one off a 1.4s that fits differently to the gti one it seems (after examining the one on charlies to the mounts i got with this engine)

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #68 on: 26 August 2008, 21:06 »

Well today i managed to angle grind away alot of rust and a stupid amount of filler on the rear bootlid, etch primed it then just slapped on 2 cans of satin black after keying it all.

Could do with another couple of cans, so i will finish that at some point this week.

The 4x4 look is comical but bar the tracking being out it still handles sweet as fook, however

when the left front wheel hits a bump, rut or pothole the steering goes all over the shop so i suspect a worn balljoint, and i think the arb rubbers could do with replacing, ive not checked it but there is no doubt some excess play in it. If i can get some g-ladersiete bushes cheap ill do it. The steering rack on the other hand is tighter than a [ insert gary glitter joke here ] so thats schawibbady, just need to get rid of the wafer thin steering wheel.

and a couple of shots of lupolo in the light

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #69 on: 19 September 2008, 16:19 »
wooo, well not much has happened on lupolo in the time being, we painted up the rear panel in silver, and the front wings, going to paint the rear number plate surround in satin black ala derby cls style and i need to top coat the por 15'd front panel with primer and some satin black or diamond silver as the por15 is UV reactive so wont be too good for a long period of time!

got all the engine mounts i need now so happy days, just need to get up to the unit and get it stuck in there :)

As for the crashbot thats changed a fair bit since the last time it was pictured.

had Charlie on the go working her magic doing some graffiti on the sides of his daily  ..  8-)
Took a good shot of mine and his and got a few of Charlies superb artwork ..

The car went form this ...

To this in two and a half hours  :lol:

Courtsy of

some piccies from edition 38

anyway we had some carb troubles and in the process of trying to fix it i got bored and stuck from 40mm springs on the front and bodged a GTI front splitter on to it and took a wet flat to the bonnet and left it to rust.

and then i spotted a lonely looking GT lying in the corner of the unit so off out with the engine which is now sitting in the crashbots engine bay.

got a few jobs left to do on it, well a few more than i expected anyway

put running gear back on
jubilee clip the new fuel lines
fit new camshaft pulley and woodruff key
set static timing
recheck and tighten head bolts
bolt up water pump
bolt up thermo housing
connect lower rad hose
finish connecting up and splicing gts engine wiring and fusebox loom to the cars interior loom

muchos appriciation to giorgio and char for thier help getting it in, fingers crossed we may have it running for the end of the weekend :)

also managed to swap the early rear bumper for a brand new chrome late bumper and i know a friend who has a nos rear trim and end caps which i shall be having woop