Author Topic: GTi's 5th Birthday - should I now move onto an R?  (Read 11763 times)

Offline david25

• I live here
Re: GTi's 5th Birthday - should I now move onto an R?
« Reply #30 on: 09 January 2019, 19:01 »
Have emailed the dealer with a few questions on the Tumeric Yellow R in question. The VW dealer is in Bury St Edmunds, part of the Marriott group. Google Reviews are a real mixed bag - bit off putting especially when buying long distance. A few reviews say they are liars when it comes to vehicle histories :shocked:. Anyone had any dealings with them?

I rate them average, had a couple of test drives and sold a car to them.

Its a big purchase, so I would invest an a hotel night, one day to view, one night to think etc
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #31 on: 09 January 2019, 20:13 »
Have emailed the dealer with a few questions on the Tumeric Yellow R in question. The VW dealer is in Bury St Edmunds, part of the Marriott group. Google Reviews are a real mixed bag - bit off putting especially when buying long distance. A few reviews say they are liars when it comes to vehicle histories :shocked:. Anyone had any dealings with them?

Most dealers will lie to sell a car, especially regarding trying to avoid things like who the previous owner is. We had it with a 1 year old Mazda 3, bought via Mazda approved and when asked to see V5 they purposely said they'd already posted it off despite us only having put a deposit on the car and not even agreed a sale! Turns out previous owner was ERAC - Enterprise rent a car.

Worth bearing in mind though - cars at that age (top end prestige and supercars aside) are almost never 1 private owner so tend to be lease companies, rentals, business, or ex vw fleet or demos.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 09 January 2019, 22:57 »
For £30k have you considered a Clubsport S? They'll hold their value so much more than a Golf R and they're ultra rare, I've never seen one on the road whereas you see more Golf Rs than you do GTIs.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 10 January 2019, 09:51 »
For £30k have you considered a Clubsport S? They'll hold their value so much more than a Golf R and they're ultra rare, I've never seen one on the road whereas you see more Golf Rs than you do GTIs.

Perhaps lack of normal Golf practically for most people is why you don't seem them being used? Plus would be hard to tell from a glance between CS and CS40 if it was a 3dr 40.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Ginagee

• Here all the time
« Reply #34 on: 10 January 2019, 10:50 »
Feeling quite torn now.
The other half is attempting to persuade me to put a tune box, air cooler, new exhaust and new wheels on the GTi.
Meanwhile the R dealer has sent a video of the car & answered all my questions satisfactorily.
Guess the best thing to do is go to the nearest dealer and test drive a DSG R and make damn sure I'd be happy with it. They can also give me a guide on what the GTi would be as a part ex.
Notice that the R is no longer available on the VW configurator website.... is this due to VW preparing to bring out the MK8 do you think?
2014 GTi Mk7 5dr Manual, Reflex Silver, PP, DNS, Dynaudio, Pano Roof.

Offline DTX3

• Not said much yet
« Reply #35 on: 10 January 2019, 12:11 »
Notice that the R is no longer available on the VW configurator website.... is this due to VW preparing to bring out the MK8 do you think?

R has also been removed from Carwow. Says the model has been discontinued  :huh:
« Last Edit: 10 January 2019, 12:15 by DTX3 »

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #36 on: 10 January 2019, 12:16 »
Gg, get one while you can... soon they will be trading at a premium and way over list like a GT2 RS? :)

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #37 on: 10 January 2019, 14:59 »
I think R is off until it gets WLTP approval, so it MIGHT re-appear yet.
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline Moro

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #38 on: 10 January 2019, 17:32 »
Ginagee,

It is a dilemma I had last year as my own car approached its 5th birthday too.

I have never owned a car for 5 years before, but in the end I could not justify the cost of changing to a 7.5 Golf just for more power and the digital dashboard.

Mine has yet to reach 20k miles and is now mainly garaged and only used for fun or longer trips.

If you decide to change for an R I am sure it will not disappoint!
GTi Reflex Silver 5 door DSG: Sat Nav Pro; Dynaudio; Panoramic Roof; ACC; Keyless; Winter Pack; Reversing Camera

Offline Ginagee

• Here all the time
« Reply #39 on: 10 January 2019, 18:42 »
Thanks Moro. Good to know I'm not own my own with this one.
Well, had a test drive of a 2017 7.5 DSG R at the local dealers today. Not the colour or spec I'm after, but gave me a good idea of the drive & the difference from my GTi.
Well, OF COURSE it's going to be better, and it was. Felt heavier, more planted. Wasn't the animal I thought it might be. Felt good and sensible at 30mph. And accelerated beautifully on the motorway. From a standing start, even on damp roads, as you'd expect, it launched perfectly. If not careful on damp/wet roads the GTi's ABS kicks in.
It was so nice not having to change gears, a much more relaxed drive. I loved the dashboard screen. So it's ticking all the boxes over the GTi.
Even the MPG was better than I expected. 40mins drive - 15mins of which was at 30mph and a bit of stop/start traffic, the rest on the motorway: 36.8mpg for the trip.
The only bad thing was the Part Ex price they gave on mine: £12.5K  :shocked: Dealer explained that because it had been not always serviced by VW, they can't retail it. If it had always been VW serviced it would have been £13K.
My GTi is in pretty good knick, 32850 miles, FSH and all. Only the Austins need attention. If I'm going to go ahead, it's going to have to be a private sale.
What's your thoughts folks?
2014 GTi Mk7 5dr Manual, Reflex Silver, PP, DNS, Dynaudio, Pano Roof.