Author Topic: Mk 8 Golf  (Read 169151 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Mk 8 Golf
« Reply #220 on: 17 May 2019, 13:19 »
I was looking at the new BMW 1 series spy shots earlier - that actually looks more Golf like than the Mk8 does so far... coincidence?

But I hated the old 1 series and the new one is based on the FWD platform of the utterly rubbish 2 series.

I think I might not even both to go look!

I've still got just under a year to chose the next Fredmobile :D
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #221 on: 17 May 2019, 14:01 »
I've just been to look at the A35 this morning. Feels very premium inside which I suppose it should be considering how much it is  :whistle:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #222 on: 17 May 2019, 15:39 »
The A35 can be picked up with similar discounts to a Golf R. I think the spec isn’t as good as far as gadgets go but probably has leather interior to offset the lack of other toys. The A35 is more of an S3 rival than Golf R, chasing the badge image.
The interior of the A35 is really stylish. I reckon the next S3 will be very similar inside and looking at those Golf 8 interior shots, once the screens have been integrated more and they’ve stuck on a huge plastic fascia like on the Polo across the passenger side (the shape of the dash looks like that was the design brief) it’ll look less dowdy and Passat like.

As for the exterior, well Honda have shoved loads of computer game styled bits of plastic all over the Civic to disguise a very blobby body and Ford have made a plain but ok looking previous model look horrid so VW don’t have a lot to worry about. If BMW can sell/lease zillions of hideously ugly current 1 series cars easily enough then obviously looks don’t matter, just image and toys.

As said here often enough, the new MQB Polo, A1 and Ibiza are damn near Golf sized now and drive really well plus all look really good (maybe the Polo the worst of the bunch except in GTI trim with Brescias). These models do offer slightly more affordable prices if you choose spec level wisely and consider what you actually need rather than just ticking boxes. Plus they still offer a bit of driver involvement which might be becoming unfashionable but is important to people that actually still enjoy driving.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
« Reply #224 on: 18 May 2019, 08:17 »
http://dailyqout.com/volkswagen-golf-8-r-to-be-unveiled-in-2020-with-245-kw-2/

That rear-end render looks sorted to me. I like. The R model will probably drop the G  O   L  F  badge though. That will make the rear look even cleaner and less cluttered - typography wise. I really like the separated quad pipes, even though quad pipes on a 2 litre 4 pot is OTT. Still prefer the GTI set up.

245kW / 328 bhp sounds plausible too.

What troubles me most is the new Mk8 front end. The light clusters make the whole car look cheery, droopy and non aggressive. I hope they find a way to resolve this on the performance models.
« Last Edit: 18 May 2019, 08:25 by Hawaii-Five-O »
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #225 on: 18 May 2019, 14:37 »
All models will have GOLF on the back, it's the new style. The R won't be any different I wouldn't have thought. Probably a cost option to remove too.

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #226 on: 19 May 2019, 17:45 »
I doubt the standard R will have that quad exhaust set up, it's too much like the aftermarket Akrapovic set up at £2+K. G O L F is a def a no no.
Also, the grill/headlight top bonnet/wing line is too straight!! With no deviation at headlights.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2019, 18:00 by CHB100 »
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #227 on: 20 May 2019, 09:15 »
http://dailyqout.com/volkswagen-golf-8-r-to-be-unveiled-in-2020-with-245-kw-2/

That rear-end render looks sorted to me. I like. The R model will probably drop the G  O   L  F  badge though. That will make the rear look even cleaner and less cluttered - typography wise. I really like the separated quad pipes, even though quad pipes on a 2 litre 4 pot is OTT. Still prefer the GTI set up.

245kW / 328 bhp sounds plausible too.

What troubles me most is the new Mk8 front end. The light clusters make the whole car look cheery, droopy and non aggressive. I hope they find a way to resolve this on the performance models.

It's a render based on a current Golf R with the Akra exhaust. It's not real!

I also doubt the performance models with have the massive GOLF logo either but then PORSCHE has done it the massive badge overload on the 991 generations car so anything is possible.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #228 on: 20 May 2019, 09:49 »
I've just been to look at the A35 this morning. Feels very premium inside which I suppose it should be considering how much it is  :whistle:

I seriously looked at the A35 AMG when was selecting my changeover from the R and there is a lot to like

Really like the styling myself, but the Aerodynamic Pack is a must as it looks very plain without it and the packs in general are a problem, as to have some of the items you would wish, you have to option them (such as the twin 10" screens) and its minimum the middle premium pack to bring car to a level likely seeking and even then you are likely forsaking the media pack

Have been on the AMG forum for a few months now, long before the first one landed and now they are arriving the consensus is that the adaptive suspension is an absolute must as the standard set up is just too firm.

The main feedback at the moment seems to be build quality in terms of creeks and squeaks, and a variety of random ghost error messages that come and go.

Seems that its a good drivers car though and seemingly very comparable to the R - Its 300 BHP AWD so no surprise there really and all more than enough for a satisfying real world drive, along with some nice, but not over the top exhaust notes.

I went to see the one in the local dealer many times, in monsoon grey and with the Aerodynamic Pack and always walked away liking it, but not loving it and think that was because that despite the wow factor of the interior on first look it did start to go all PS 4 and Formula 1 2019 on me, and also, I was not overly impressed with some of the switches, they had a plastic coated chrome cheap feel.

The interior is a huge lift over the outgoing A series which hated

Think its more than a decent stab by Mercedes to hit a market that the A45 AMG was too rich for and sure the facelift version would be a great car to select as some of the early issues are ironed out and some of the options that like maybe become standard.

The main blocker for me was not the actual car, think I would have been very happy with it despite some of the early feedback it was the price, as even being quite careful and sticking to what I felt was must have to make car attractive to me, I easily broke £41,000

At the time, my choice had narrowed to A35 AMG vs staying with a Golf R and had already decided the Golf R on this time around had won, with the feeling that it was a car at the top of the curve - However the GTI TCR then surfaced and though its not really a direct competition to either due to the lack of AWD, the heritage pull won me over as if did not scratch that itch now it would likely be never.

In summary, the A35 AMG is a genuine choice, Mercedes have pitched it well

Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #229 on: 20 May 2019, 11:28 »
I think £40k+ is likely to be the price point of the Mk8 R (if it ever happens!)

Which instantly makes it expensive to own because of enhanced VED.

There's no escalator in the 40k threshold seemingly either. I guess the idea is that eventually even modest cars are charged it...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC