Author Topic: Another Timing Chain!!  (Read 10255 times)

Offline hms

• Just got here
Another Timing Chain!!
« on: 31 December 2013, 16:54 »
Hi, stumbled on the forum by chance googling my problem and see I am not alone.

09 plate MK 6 GTI 48,000 ex demo owned from 6 months old and fully VWSH at same dealer.

Has been absolutely fine until I drove home on 23rd Dec - it started really rough and stopped again immediately. RAC towed it to VW dealer where I bought it from. Have had to authorise a few hours of diagnostic work. Dealership have said timing chain failure but state they think tensioner is ok (not sure they have stripped it down that much yet). They do not want to know - they have called VWCS on my behalf they got back and said no goodwill as out of warranty.

I have reported it to VW but have to wait till after NY for response, quoted £6400 for new engine and labour.  Been reading others experiences - as mine is out of warranty did it take quite a bit of persistance / threats of legal action etc before they come around?. I am panicking as no way can I find 6k right now. No manufacturer should consider it acceptable for an engine to fail at this point in a car's life. My mates Golf from his 17th birthday 15 years ago is still going strong at 150,000k - I thought I was paying a premium for something dependable.

Any advice (or shoulder to cry on!!) Appreciated.

Howard

Offline andygo

• GTI forum regular
Re: Another Timing Chain!!
« Reply #1 on: 31 December 2013, 17:32 »
Do a good google on timing chain tensioner failure, esprecially on here.

VW do know about it, despite what they initially say.

Good luck!

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 31 December 2013, 17:33 »
is the drivetrain warranty not 60k sure someone will know but I am sure it is  :smiley:

http://www.vw.com/en/owners/parts-and-accessories/protection/limited-warranty.html
« Last Edit: 31 December 2013, 17:38 by barrym381 »

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #3 on: 31 December 2013, 17:46 »
If you get no joy threaten to goto bbc watchdog and autoexpress with the details from the sticky thread.
Also google search for tensioner failure mk6 gti .
Theres a few threads running on the golfmk6.com forum in american and also one running on an Australian forum. Theres probably more but im hittting language barriers.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Poached

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 31 December 2013, 17:54 »
There's a dedicated thread on Briskoda for the same problem:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/266114-18tsi-and-20tsi-engine-failures/page-11

Offline andygo

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 31 December 2013, 19:04 »
Thats pretty interesting about the 5 year powertrain warranty..

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #6 on: 31 December 2013, 19:23 »
There's a dedicated thread on Briskoda for the same problem:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/266114-18tsi-and-20tsi-engine-failures/page-11
Thanks for that been over and had a read.  :smiley:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Mattyj

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 31 December 2013, 19:38 »
Just a quick one i've heard there will be no recall on this as its not a "safety" issue apparently as it happens from cold anybody heard any diff?

Offline hms

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 14 January 2014, 10:49 »
Well, a bit of an update here!! Unfortunately the resolution is not going so well :angry: Managed to finally get a courtesy car yesterday after several letters to dealership, and VWCS. Engine has been stripped down 'timing chain has slipped but the tensioner is not responsible' I do not care what has failed - my GTi should not have engine failure at this point in its life (4.5 years, 47,000 miles). I have been told no 'factory goodwill' spoken with VWCS who said they will sort something out - 1 week later the deal on the table is No contribution from VW, dealership will subsidise the repair to a final cost to me £3500. I was furious (but did not go ballistic - I want these guys to help me) told them that was not acceptable car sold to me was not fit for purpose etc etc. Waiting for further call. 

Not sure how to play things - anyone have any experience of the law or should I walk away £3500 worse off and learn a very valuable lesson re: VAG group. Its all a bit disappointing given some people's outcomes with VWCS.

Thanks for the advice and I would urge other 09/59/10 GTi owners to think hard about their future!!

Offline charlie

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 14 January 2014, 11:54 »
Well, a bit of an update here!! Unfortunately the resolution is not going so well :angry: Managed to finally get a courtesy car yesterday after several letters to dealership, and VWCS. Engine has been stripped down 'timing chain has slipped but the tensioner is not responsible' I do not care what has failed - my GTi should not have engine failure at this point in its life (4.5 years, 47,000 miles). I have been told no 'factory goodwill' spoken with VWCS who said they will sort something out - 1 week later the deal on the table is No contribution from VW, dealership will subsidise the repair to a final cost to me £3500. I was furious (but did not go ballistic - I want these guys to help me) told them that was not acceptable car sold to me was not fit for purpose etc etc. Waiting for further call. 

Not sure how to play things - anyone have any experience of the law or should I walk away £3500 worse off and learn a very valuable lesson re: VAG group. Its all a bit disappointing given some people's outcomes with VWCS.

Thanks for the advice and I would urge other 09/59/10 GTi owners to think hard about their future!!
not good at all my question would be why has the timing chain slipped if it has full service history don't they check the chain and tensioner has it stretched was there a lack of oil pressure problem I'm no mechanic but I sometimes think vw don't employ any either I hope you get some resolution soon all the best Charlie  :smiley:
2012 black pearl Golf gti mark 6 5 door leather cruise 510rns bluetooth acc dab sunroof park assist rear camera parking sensors storage pack and the luxury pack :-) sold :/( now aiming a 2013 passat alltrack