Author Topic: Mk 8 Golf  (Read 170660 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: Mk 8 Golf
« Reply #80 on: 11 February 2019, 12:02 »
You can only order a new gti now in 245hp so it's a decrease.

That's a technicality. The entry level GTI is/was 227. Just because it's no longer available doesn't mean it didn't exist!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #81 on: 11 February 2019, 12:28 »
It did but it doesn't now. The standard GTi was discontinued and the only engine available to order was the 245hp. If that's the only engine available now then anything with less hp is a decrease. It's a step backwards in my eyes and with vw passing on any tariffs from Brexit (if any arise) it's going to be an expensive car with less power than the outgoing model. The R looks like it's getting a modest increase but not everyone will want the cup edition so seems strange the GTi is having the power cut back. The article could be complete nonsense mind  :grin: :grin:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #82 on: 11 February 2019, 14:21 »
These stories.... try comparing a load of them over time.... no 3 door, keeping three door, special gti version, no special gti version, R has a bit more power, R has 9,000,000bhp...

And then the funny photoshops...

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #83 on: 11 February 2019, 14:37 »
 :grin: :grin:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #84 on: 11 February 2019, 19:05 »
These stories.... try comparing a load of them over time.... no 3 door, keeping three door, special gti version, no special gti version, R has a bit more power, R has 9,000,000bhp...

And then the funny photoshops...

Couldn’t agree more Fred. None of this will probably be true. Just a few. In the ago the usual ‘gti to receive a huge power boost’ stories were all the rage.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Beezer

• Not said much yet
« Reply #85 on: 13 February 2019, 08:19 »
Found this supposedly leaked image last night. Not sure how real it is but thought I’d share...

Offline evo1986

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #86 on: 13 February 2019, 08:47 »
That’s it although can’t see the new bonnet line
Sales Manager
Select Car Leasing West Midlands
Leeevans@selectcarleasing.co.uk
WhatsApp: 07389107119

Former General sales manager at Volkswagen for over 13 years.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #87 on: 13 February 2019, 08:50 »
Found this supposedly leaked image last night. Not sure how real it is but thought I’d share...

That picture was doing the rounds a couple of weeks ago on various forums and the general consensus was that it wasn’t real.

The one in this video though............. looks like it might be the genuine article; posted a couple of days ago on golfmk7.com. Apparently, the video was filmed of the mk8 Golf road testing in South Africa.

Headlights in this car (seen at the end of the video clip) look very similar to the current Polo headlamps and not like the ones on the black car at the drive through. The slightly concave shape of the wheel arches is also similar to the Polo. The waist high crease line through the doors and into the rear quarter panel harks back to the mk6 Golf and is higher than on the current Golf. The bonnet line of the silver car in the video clip looks flatter and less rounded than the bonnet on the black car at the McDonald’s drive through. Door mirrors are attached to the door panels as evo1986 mentioned in an earlier post.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/files-702/1549895738_VID-20190211-WA0004.mp4

So, if it is genuine, quite similar but subtly different to the mk7/mk7.5, and not surprisingly it follows VW’s evolutionary design approach for the Golf. IMO VW weren’t ever going to produce a radically different design for their core model that might alienate existing and prospective owners.

« Last Edit: 13 February 2019, 09:44 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #88 on: 13 February 2019, 10:08 »

That picture was doing the rounds a couple of weeks ago on various forums and the general consensus was that it wasn’t real.

The one in this video though............. looks like it might be the genuine article; posted a couple of days ago on golfmk7.com. Apparently, the video was filmed of the mk8 Golf road testing in South Africa.

Headlights in this car (seen at the end of the video clip) look very similar to the current Polo headlamps and not like the ones on the black car at the drive through. The slightly concave shape of the wheel arches is also similar to the Polo. The waist high crease line through the doors and into the rear quarter panel harks back to the mk6 Golf and is higher than on the current Golf. The bonnet line of the silver car in the video clip looks flatter and less rounded than the bonnet on the black car at the McDonald’s drive through. Door mirrors are attached to the door panels as evo1986 mentioned in an earlier post.

So, if it is genuine, quite similar but subtly different to the mk7/mk7.5, and not surprisingly it follows VW’s evolutionary design approach for the Golf. IMO VW weren’t ever going to produce a radically different design for their core model that might alienate existing and prospective owners.

Seriously, are you for real? Those pics from the drive through look exactly like the potential finished car including mirrors on the door skins. And confirmed the guy above who's seen it who works for VW.

That video is more fake than the Veyron driving into the lake! A finished GTI in bright red nearly 2 years early taken on a phone with the image of quality of an old Nokia. Yes, that must be real  :grin:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #89 on: 13 February 2019, 11:07 »

Seriously, are you for real? Those pics from the drive through look exactly like the potential finished car including mirrors on the door skins. And confirmed the guy above who's seen it who works for VW.

That video is more fake than the Veyron driving into the lake! A finished GTI in bright red nearly 2 years early taken on a phone with the image of quality of an old Nokia. Yes, that must be real  :grin:

I said the general consensus on other forums was that the black car wasn’t the real thing - merely conveying what others had said on other forums, so not my words. I didn’t say that the silver car was an actual mk8 either - I said in might be.

If you look at the silver car in the video clip and compare it to the black car in the pictures, there are features that are common to both; door mirror positioning, waist line crease. It’s not unknown for manufacturers to still mask up light clusters on uncamoflaged vehicles in the final stages of testing to hide some of the finer details - the rear light clusters on current Polo were disguised with tape to look like the previous generation.

We’ll just have to wait and see the launch pictures when VW officially reveal it in the metal.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl