Author Topic: Looking for a GTI or PP  (Read 2816 times)

Offline Refurbished.

• Not said much yet
Looking for a GTI or PP
« on: 20 February 2021, 22:15 »
Hi, I’ve just sold my JCW Mini. Great little car. I put 13k on it and it never missed a beat. I’d like a GTI as my next car. Recently bought a Boxster and got a great car from a forum member. I’m hoping to do the same here.
I’d like a facelift 5 door GTI with DSG and high spec. First choice would be a blue or grey. Happy to consider other colours as well. However, car must have under 10k miles and I’d prefer to buy from the original owner.
I’ll pay a little more for a PP car as well.
Please let me know if you have something you are willing to sell. I’m ready to buy now.

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
Re: Looking for a GTI or PP
« Reply #1 on: 20 February 2021, 22:20 »
Under 10k miles ? That’s surely going to make your list very small
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline Refurbished.

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 20 February 2021, 22:30 »
It does narrow the pool down a bit on Auto Trader! I’d rather buy privately than from a dealer. Owners who use forums tend to be particularly discerning so I was hoping someone here would be looking to sell. I’ve posted some questions, but like an Olympic level numb nut, I’ve posted in the for sale section...doh!

Offline Refurbished.

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 20 February 2021, 22:34 »
These were my questions if anyone wants to contribute-

I’d be grateful for some advice from
Current owners. In no particular order-
Is the Dynaudio a good system?
Is DCC particularly worth seeking out?
I viewed a car earlier and the owner told me it had a heated front screen. I couldn’t see the filaments in the windscreen (could see them on my just sold Mini) does the Golf use a similar system as is the screen cleared by some other mystical means?
Finally, I think I’m ready to embrace an auto. Is the PP particularly worth seeking out over a standard car?

Thanks for sharing your experience

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 20 February 2021, 22:39 »
Yes the vw heated screen has really fine wires. Hard to see. Not like the old Ford ones or even the mini ones.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Refurbished.

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 20 February 2021, 22:47 »
That’s useful. I thought the seller mistaken!

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 20 February 2021, 23:03 »
The climate screens have no wires, they use a thin foil layer between inner and outer layers of glass. I have this in my car and if you find a car with it then it's certainly worth having. But the blowers whacked on full for a few minutes will still do a reasonable job of clearing the screen in moderately cold conditions.

The non-performance version of the GTi was discontinued by VW late 2018, i'd therefore expect most cars with less than 10k miles on will be the Performance version by default.

Can't really comment on the other options as I don't have them, but they will further reduce the pool of cars available if having them is a deal breaker.

I have 18 inch wheels on my car, and in my opinion DCC isn't necessary. But comfort is something that is subjective so others will say it's a must.
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #7 on: 20 February 2021, 23:11 »
Ah OK, that's why I've never seen the wires! I do know you can't see them like Ford or mini.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 20 February 2021, 23:24 »
These were my questions if anyone wants to contribute-

I’d be grateful for some advice from
Current owners. In no particular order-
Is the Dynaudio a good system?
Is DCC particularly worth seeking out?
I viewed a car earlier and the owner told me it had a heated front screen. I couldn’t see the filaments in the windscreen (could see them on my just sold Mini) does the Golf use a similar system as is the screen cleared by some other mystical means?
Finally, I think I’m ready to embrace an auto. Is the PP particularly worth seeking out over a standard car?

Thanks for sharing your experience

Welcome.
Whether to seek out options depends on the buyer- in particular how is the buyer going to use the car and what does he/she expect- rather than the quality of the option being considered

From what I’ve read on this forum and elsewhere, all the options you mention are good.

I have dynaudio. It is excellent.

My car is garaged overnight. I don’t need a heated screen.

I have 18 inch wheels, I don’t use the car on track nor on really poor roads- so I don’t need the versatility that DCC offers.

2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline jf111

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 21 February 2021, 00:16 »
Dynaudio is... dissappointing. But quite a lot better than the standard system. That said, I'm quite into car audio and always upgraded my speakers, headunit (when you still could) and added at least one subwoofer, and listen to very bass heavy music (dnb/jungle, hip hop, techno, house, etc). The Dynaudio stuff has ok sound quality but massively lacks bass.