Author Topic: I thought parking on a driveway would keep my car safe!  (Read 7820 times)

Offline AmbushReality

• Not said much yet
Some absolute weapon decided to speed down the road then swerve for a small animal, plowing through 2 walls, hitting my neighbours car which has then shunted it in to my car which has then hit the other car on my driveway. Calls to insurers tomorrow morning which will be fun...

Anyone know a good bodyshop near Cheltenham?

Not sure how to post pics so here are some links to some photos.
https://imgur.com/AKiSkR9
https://imgur.com/UIaZE8T
https://imgur.com/aepX3l0

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: I thought parking on a driveway would keep my car safe!
« Reply #1 on: 15 November 2020, 00:24 »
Ouch!! Looks a bad 'un. :shocked:

Sorry, not in the Cheltenham area but all the best getting things sorted. Hopefully the culprit is brought to book

Here is a list of VW approved bodyshops

https://volkswagenapprovedrepair.co.uk/approved-crash-repair-centre-list
« Last Edit: 15 November 2020, 00:32 by Guzzle »
7.5 GTD

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 15 November 2020, 09:03 »
Really feel for you. Looks terrible. That person must have been absolutely flying to cause that much damage. The main thing though is that hopefully nobody was hurt. Easy to say I know, but a car can be repaired or replaced.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline AmbushReality

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 15 November 2020, 12:34 »
Thanks Guzzle, I think I'll just ask my insurer to use a VW approved bodyshop and hope for the best.

Thanks king monkey, I'm really thankful no-one was outside when it happened, and I often work nights on the weekend leaving around that sort of time so could have ended up trapped between two cars.

Today my neighbour's Audi Q3 has been taken away so I finally got a good look at the damage, actually worse than I initially thought. Enough that I sort of hope it is written off as I'd be concerned about getting rear-ended on the road. I tried to see what the boot well looked like from the inside but the adjustable boot floor has been jammed so far forward I can't get it off to see. It's such a shame as I've come to really love the car the past year and don't fancy the new GTI at all so not sure where I go from here.

https://imgur.com/MhJvd9W

The guy who did it stuck about, and is insured thankfully. Witnesses saw him speeding down the road but apart from that no other evidence so the police don't think they'll make their charge of driving without due care and attention stick. So apart from a hefty insurance bill he's gotten away with it. It's a 30mph speed limit, I think he was probably around the 50mph mark maybe more, but there aren't even any signs he was braking before hitting the wall so I imagine he was on his phone.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 15 November 2020, 12:58 »
Definitely a lucky boy if he doesn't get charged with anything for causing that much damage  :angry:
7.5 GTD

Offline Al1040

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 15 November 2020, 19:06 »
Wow that really sucks, good luck with the insurance and you get your wish that it written off, not sure but there might be come very late 7.5's around with very low mileage.

2019 GTI 121 miles on the clock 28k.... not sure how old yours was / budget.
https://www.cargurus.co.uk/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?zip=pr41ax&showNegotiable=true&sortDir=ASC&sourceContext=cargurus&distance=660&sortType=DEAL_SCORE&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=c59492#listing=145002880
67 Plate Mk 7.5 GTD DSG

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 15 November 2020, 20:05 »
I don’t think I’d want the car back after a repair with that level of damage. I’d have less confidence in it. Good luck. Hope you get it sorted as soon as possible.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #7 on: 15 November 2020, 20:06 »
Definitely a lucky boy if he doesn't get charged with anything for causing that much damage  :angry:

I'd say little chance of being charged with anything. If he had insurance and mot and licence and nobody was hurt the cps won't be interested in pursuing any charges.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline AmbushReality

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 15 November 2020, 21:35 »
Yep, sad reality is it will take a bit of effort to prove he was speeding so they won't bother even though it is blatantly obvious he was massively speeding. But oh well, no one was hurt was the main thing.

My car had 26k miles on it, and absolutely flawless apart from the standard stone chips. If it is written off i'm not sure what i'll do yet with regards to what I replace it with. My car is in the last 4 months of finance and I have GAP insurance to invoice value so financially I'm OK. I definitely would prefer it was written off, as desperately sad as I am to see it go, it has been an outstanding car.

Offline AmbushReality

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 17 November 2020, 17:45 »
Heard back from the VW approved bodyshop today and they've said it is repairable. Because the damage was higher up it hasn't affected the chassis, and they will get VW to check the gearbox as it's an auto and was in park when it was moved about 2 metres. Price has gone to insurers now so waiting on their decision.