Author Topic: Cracked sunroof surround  (Read 55677 times)

Offline DaveT46

• Just got here
Re: Cracked sunroof surround
« Reply #150 on: 21 February 2021, 21:42 »
Can't help with that but I do hope you get it sorted okay :smiley:

Cheers!

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #151 on: 21 February 2021, 23:03 »
Hi all,

I've unfortunately got the same issue of a cracked sunroof surround, both sides, on my 2020 GTI - I'm naturally not impressed that this has happened, and the inconsistencies of warranty claims.

I was wondering if anybody that had been successful with getting this repaired was based in the North West, and could advise which dealer they used? (or any unfriendly NW dealers I should stay away from!).

Any help appreciated.

I would take it back to the supplying dealer- who will have incentive to push through a warranty claim.
The supplying dealer would know that they’re at risk of a claim against them if the warranty claim is rejected.

I can’t see that you’d have a problem- if you make it clear you won’t go away until they sort it out.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline C3PO

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #152 on: 26 February 2021, 16:11 »
Hi all, So thought I would take the liberty of washing my Mark 7.5 GTI TCR, and yes I found the dreaded crack on the passenger side, so disappointed as the car is brilliant. Now I await getting the car repaired without any further issues. :angry:
Mk6 GTI, 18" monza shadows, Leather, Bluetooth Phone - gone

Mark 7 R, 19" wheels, lapiz blue, 5 door, leather, reversing camera - gone

2018 Audi S5 Sportback, pano roof, LED Headlights  B&O sound system - gone

Current 2020 Golf GTI TCR, pure grey, pano roof , 90% tints and Akrapovic exhaust.

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
« Reply #153 on: 26 February 2021, 16:17 »
Hi all, So thought I would take the liberty of washing my Mark 7.5 GTI TCR, and yes I found the dreaded crack on the passenger side, so disappointed as the car is brilliant. Now I await getting the car repaired without any further issues. :angry:
Crikey, not another one. :angry:  Good luck in getting it sorted, hopefully all will go smoothly and the dealer and VW will sort it without any trauma.

Offline Dave3515

• Just got here
« Reply #154 on: 07 March 2021, 07:54 »
Hi all, thought I would add my own experience in relation to the cracked sunroof panel.

I have a 2019 Golf GTi and the panel cracked on the drivers side in the corner after 11 months. I had no issues with the dealer but my problems started with the BMW dealer who were the approved body shop to fit the panel. Initially they broke the windscreen and after three panels were fitted, each one just not lining up correctly it was decided the entire carrier frame would be fitted which has the panel already bonded in place by the factory. Naturally this involved a major strip down of the vehicle and I was really concerned the car would never be the same. I eventually got the car back after four months, granted COVID had a lot to do with that and all has been well until last week when it has cracked again in exactly the same place.

The car is now only 23 months old and the dealer are more than happy to start the warranty process again. They are this time involving VW Tech although I can’t see what magical solution they will come up with, but I suppose you have to go through the process.

I have a friend at work who also has a GTi and his has cracked twice, the first time after three months and the second after only a month or so of having the new panel fitted. He has now got rid of the car for a Mk8. I really don’t want to get rid of the car but I can’t help but think this will only crack for a third time and once the car is out of warranty at three years old, I will have a fight on my hands with VW!

My experience up to now, for those who have had the panel replaced once probably doesn’t inspire confidence in relation to the issue being resolved. It would be good to hear from those who have maybe had a similar experience and the panel cracking more than once and what if anything VW did about it.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #155 on: 07 March 2021, 08:34 »
Hi all, thought I would add my own experience in relation to the cracked sunroof panel.

I have a 2019 Golf GTi and the panel cracked on the drivers side in the corner after 11 months. I had no issues with the dealer but my problems started with the BMW dealer who were the approved body shop to fit the panel. Initially they broke the windscreen and after three panels were fitted, each one just not lining up correctly it was decided the entire carrier frame would be fitted which has the panel already bonded in place by the factory. Naturally this involved a major strip down of the vehicle and I was really concerned the car would never be the same. I eventually got the car back after four months, granted COVID had a lot to do with that and all has been well until last week when it has cracked again in exactly the same place.

The car is now only 23 months old and the dealer are more than happy to start the warranty process again. They are this time involving VW Tech although I can’t see what magical solution they will come up with, but I suppose you have to go through the process.

I have a friend at work who also has a GTi and his has cracked twice, the first time after three months and the second after only a month or so of having the new panel fitted. He has now got rid of the car for a Mk8. I really don’t want to get rid of the car but I can’t help but think this will only crack for a third time and once the car is out of warranty at three years old, I will have a fight on my hands with VW!

My experience up to now, for those who have had the panel replaced once probably doesn’t inspire confidence in relation to the issue being resolved. It would be good to hear from those who have maybe had a similar experience and the panel cracking more than once and what if anything VW did about it.

Should your new pan roof component not be covered by the 2 years warranty on parts? So based off the last time replaced not the cars main warranty? I'd ask out of curiosity.
« Last Edit: 07 March 2021, 13:04 by willni »
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #156 on: 07 March 2021, 09:30 »
My understanding of vw warranty terms is that the part is covered only until the end of the warranty period.
For a problem like this, that would be unsatisfactory- and I would be having that conversation with the dealer now.

Again, my view is you should go to the supplying dealer. Forget the warranty.
I would say “ you sold me this car. It’s very expensive. It’s shouldn’t develop major faults so soon, and if it does, you should rectify the problem permanently”
I’d put this in writing actually as evidence that you won’t accept a “ temporary fix”.

Have to say I’d also be tempted to sell the car as I’d be pretty worried that, at some point, it’ll cause more grief
« Last Edit: 07 March 2021, 09:38 by Yusee »
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #157 on: 08 March 2021, 10:05 »
When I spoke to VW they said there was no special fix, just like for like replacement on the affected parts effectively.

Does provide much hope, especially when you hear of it failing for people a second time!

I would expect it to be covered by basic consumer rights (fit for purpose) post 3 years warranty period to some degree, but of course there would be no guarantee on that.

I am also interested to hear if anyone knows anything special being done as part of the fix to stop it happening again?

*Mine is currently awaiting repair.
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #158 on: 08 March 2021, 11:18 »
When I spoke to VW they said there was no special fix, just like for like replacement on the affected parts effectively.

Does provide much hope, especially when you hear of it failing for people a second time!

I would expect it to be covered by basic consumer rights (fit for purpose) post 3 years warranty period to some degree, but of course there would be no guarantee on that.

I am also interested to hear if anyone knows anything special being done as part of the fix to stop it happening again?

*Mine is currently awaiting repair.

Have a look at my post number 114 on page 12, that may help.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #159 on: 08 March 2021, 11:22 »
This issue won't go away with replacement of like for like parts. Needs a new metal pressed part - rigid plastic trying to expand/contract with changes in ambient temp when affixed to a metal suffrage that won't expand/contract with it is going to cause this to keep happening.

Unless the crack is a point of moisture ingress, VW won't consider it a major defect, more of an unsightly cosmetic one.If I had one of these out of warranty, I'd be having the offending part wrapped to hide the crack.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.