Author Topic: Error Code P1296  (Read 20804 times)

Offline dubdean

• Just got here
Re: Error Code P1296
« Reply #10 on: 15 February 2012, 15:17 »
hi guys.

all had been well for about a week, but the error code appears to have returned. any other ideas?

Si
i have the same issue mate ive replaced my temp sensor with a genuine one fro vw and still got problems mine are to do with the engine tempreture fluctuating between 60-90 so i have read through a few forums and i have found it can be a thermostat problem so am trying that aswell you might want to give that a try

Offline simonparsons

• GTI forum regular
Re: Error Code P1296
« Reply #11 on: 15 February 2012, 15:45 »
hi guys.

all had been well for about a week, but the error code appears to have returned. any other ideas?

Si
i have the same issue mate ive replaced my temp sensor with a genuine one fro vw and still got problems mine are to do with the engine tempreture fluctuating between 60-90 so i have read through a few forums and i have found it can be a thermostat problem so am trying that aswell you might want to give that a try

thanks for that. it was indeed the thermostat which was replaced about 6 months ago and has been pretty good since. the temp sender was also replaced at the same time.

the thermostat often fails open so it never really gets up to temperature (but better that way than failing closed and overheating) - although i think its a fail safe to fail open

cheers

Simon