Author Topic: Black vinyl trim  (Read 57348 times)

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
Re: Black vinyl trim
« Reply #30 on: 16 September 2008, 12:22 »
I got in touch with Meguiar's direct and asked about the streaking of their Trim Detailer product. Here's what they said:

This product is and has to be a water based product, any silicones may degrade the plastic trim. As such, after application, should there be heavy rain, the product will wash away.

To help with this, we would suggest that the plastic bumper (i.e. Meguiar's Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner) be fully prepped prior to application to ensure there is no contamination restricting the product from being fully absorbed.

All of our products have a full money back or exchange guarantee should you remain unhappy with the product.

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #31 on: 16 September 2008, 13:41 »
I did a bit of blacking up yesterday, using Black WOW.  Only the first hit, so it'll get better over time.

good start... i found it took a while to get used to it... the less you use the better and buff off excess with a non-important MF

i found the best thing to do was apply, go over with a wet kitchen towel, buff with a MF. The bumpers should be very clean and dry and black when you have finished and not 'silicony' at all.

I got in touch with Meguiar's direct and asked about the streaking of their Trim Detailer product. Here's what they said:

This product is and has to be a water based product, any silicones may degrade the plastic trim. As such, after application, should there be heavy rain, the product will wash away.

To help with this, we would suggest that the plastic bumper (i.e. Meguiar's Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner) be fully prepped prior to application to ensure there is no contamination restricting the product from being fully absorbed.

All of our products have a full money back or exchange guarantee should you remain unhappy with the product.

was that from Tom at Meguiars... I must say that whatever their products, they have excellent customer service

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
« Reply #32 on: 16 September 2008, 14:15 »
was that from Tom at Meguiars... I must say that whatever their products, they have excellent customer service

Yep, it sure was - I've been in touch with them before, ages ago, and they we're really good then - I do like it when companies are a) great at customer service and b) offer a full money back guarantee

NewGolf

« Reply #33 on: 16 September 2008, 20:24 »
I'd have to agree, Megs have great customer service, and as a fan I have a shed full of their bulk products and many of their enthusiast range.
However, I do choose another product as yes, their trim detailer washes off after rain, hence the fact that after a soapy wash its gone.

Thats the reason I choose Z16, it stays on and doesn't streak, in fact has lasted 4 weeks & weekly washes and still looks good. I tried BW but not a fan. Cant remember why I gave it away now, I think it was too shiny for me even after paper towelling.

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
« Reply #34 on: 16 September 2008, 22:28 »
I'd have to agree, Megs have great customer service, and as a fan I have a shed full of their bulk products and many of their enthusiast range.
However, I do choose another product as yes, their trim detailer washes off after rain, hence the fact that after a soapy wash its gone.

Thats the reason I choose Z16, it stays on and doesn't streak, in fact has lasted 4 weeks & weekly washes and still looks good. I tried BW but not a fan. Cant remember why I gave it away now, I think it was too shiny for me even after paper towelling.

After your glowiing reviews of the Z-16 I think I might have to get myself some of that and get my money back for the Meguiar's.

NewGolf

« Reply #35 on: 17 September 2008, 07:36 »
I'm sure you'll like it, and give some of their other products a go, Z2, ZFX and Z8. Awesome, I now use it in place of Zym0l as its a far better product IMO.  :smug:

Offline azzrobz

• Here all the time
  • Mk3 GTi 16v Anni
« Reply #36 on: 25 September 2008, 12:35 »
Yep i got some black wow today, an applied it to the car, an WOW, this stuff is the dogs, best i've ever used and i've tried many!!!! bit on the expensive side but the bottle you get will last a year maybe even two!! as i'm told it keeps the plastics black for 2 months, i'll have to w8 an see   :smiley:

sharpie

« Reply #37 on: 25 September 2008, 12:40 »
why not just paint it black with matt black out a rattle can?

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
« Reply #38 on: 25 September 2008, 12:43 »
why not just paint it black with matt black out a rattle can?

Urmmm, are you mad?!

Offline VR6_ROB

• I live here
  • Mk2 VR6 / Corrado G60
bumper blacking
« Reply #39 on: 25 January 2009, 14:18 »
this is proberly i repost

but what is the best stuff for getting my mk2 bumpers jet black again i bought some used ones that need alot of work
to get back to they former glory send me links if possible to suppliers of the best stuff

thanks
rob