Author Topic: BCS "Powervalve" Exhaust from BCS in St Helens  (Read 9708 times)

Offline Tamiyoman

• Just got here
BCS "Powervalve" Exhaust from BCS in St Helens
« on: 10 May 2012, 10:50 »
This is a review I made of the new BCS "Powervalve" exhaust that was fitted last saturday to my GTI Edition 30 by BCS.

Mods if this is in the wrong place please move it for me

Ok guys n gals, my first full written review.

Disclaimer:- I paid the full price for this exhaust system (and have the receipt to prove it!), there are no financial incentives/gifts or otherwise for me to write this review and I am in no way affiliated to BCS nor sell or manufacture any parts for cars, it was written solely for the purposes that others may be as happy with their own system as I am with mine. Now thats cleared up let's get on with my 1st review:-

Why did I choose BCS over its main competitors? (Milltek, APR RSC, Scorpion, Blueflame, Jetex etc)?.

I chose to buy the BCS 3" Powervalve TBE after considering many things (Quality/Price/Availability/Service/Options available/Sound/Looks/and Individuality).

As someone who generally tries to swerve away from the mass market products and support smaller companies I had lots of decisions to make before selecting an exhaust company to go with as the first of my planned mods (after all its a large slice of money to spend on a car!).

Price wise it costs less than both the APR RSC and the Milltek systems (Was not 100% sure on putting pricing up and comparisons?, is this allowed?)

The service I received was excellent, I felt like a part of it, and was provided with coffee regularly (The 2 toilet stops on the way home will attest to that!  ), I was also allowed to ask any questions and was allowed to take all the pics I wanted to and watch it being fitted and ask questions along the way, great so far!.

There are several options available, they do 3 different types for the TFSI or TSI cars, the first is the "Sports" system which I would compare with a Milltek Non resonated system, the second called "Prestige" with larger silencers for those who want nice and quiet all the time and compares well to the resonated Milltek Apparently being very similar to both the std system and milltek resonated in noise levels, the third option is the "Epic" system which I have had fitted   

After considering all the above options and also considering that most folks on here seem to have Milltek TBE with a few APR and Blueflame systems dotted around and as I usually prefer something different to the masses it was an easy choice and the fact that the system fitted to my car is the very FIRST TBE 'Powervalve'  system fitted really is the icing on the cake, I was told that my 'Powervalve' system was only finished 16hrs before I turned up for fitting   finding out that did make me feel involved in something new which was great, I wish them the best of luck with it.

Sourcing:-

Available from BCS currently in St. Helens (They are moving to larger premises soon) Nige is a member on here "nige bcs"

Fitting:-

With removal of the Old system and running the feed for the 'Powervalve' (Taken from the turbo via a "T" piece and run down the car under the undertray) and fitting of the new system including me taking pics here and there and asking questions was approx 2.5 to 3hrs, being the first one lots of pictures were taken by me and the BCS guys so fitting may be less time for others 

Other versions/options available;-

Milltek Non-Res and Milltek Res, APR RSC, Blueflame, Scorpion, Jetex etc.

Plus Points:-

Price, Quality, Service, 3 different options to choose from (something for everyone!) and that NO ONE else does a valved system (Which BSC have named 'Powervalve' and own the copyright to!), they are serious about making the best products and also putting customers needs first along with bringing new tech to the market.

Minus Points.

None so far! 

Summary

While the system was being fitted I was asking questions (and drinking coffee) and found out that they have spent nearly a year developing this new valved system, they told me that some car manufacturers use Valves to control sound and db limits but via a vacuum operated system, whereas BCS have developed theirs to use Turbo pressure to operate the valve.

When the exhaust was laid out on the floor for me to see, it was immediately apparent to me that it was very shiny (Magpie time!) and the guy who did the welding was clearly VERY good gifted with a welder, One of my mates is a welder and he was the first person to see it after I had got home and when he looked under the car it was the first thing he commented on, saying that the welding was excellent (i was chuffed!), I actually got to meet the guy who did the welding (Paul) who was a top chap as it was he who was fitting the exhaust rather than Dave who was going to be doing it, but due to a mountain biking accident (which involved plates and titanium screws, ouch  ) he could only watch as it was done, hope you heal soon Dave!.

From personal experience (having now covered 400+ miles since fitting) the system is nice and quiet when pootling around, no louder I would say than the std system, where it differs vastly is when the car hits around 3500rpm you hear the exhaust note start to change as the valve starts to open then by approx 4000rpm its sounding very nice and fruity indeed  , this is done via a section of 3" straight through when the valve is open (you can see it in the pictures below). It also has a lovely "Whump" on the DSG gear changes and from high revs backing off gives some lovely over-run burble 

Added benefits are the valve being closed helps to keep low down torque but when valve is open helps allow max power possible, best of both worlds IMO.

Anyone considering a new System (Cat Back or Turbo Back) should consider the BCS 'Powervalve' system, cannot recommend the guys highly enough.

Pictures for you:-

Sorry but the down Pipe with 200 cell cat was fitted before I got my camera out!

The all important Valve which does the magic, when the valve is closed at low rpm the gasses are forced through the smaller front pipe through the silncer, when the valve opens it allows the gasses to escape through the 3" straight through pipe , some will call it witchcraft, others will call it engineering 

Most of the system shown.

close up of the valve fitted

Rear section

Tailpipes underneath

Close up of the 80mm Rolled in trims.

How others see it

« Last Edit: 10 May 2012, 10:54 by Tamiyoman »

Offline Ginge 35Edition

• I live here
Re: BCS "Powervalve" Exhaust from BCS in St Helens
« Reply #1 on: 01 July 2012, 21:01 »
Looks really nice, have these guys got a showroom? Do you mind me asking how much they charged?

Offline Nige BCS

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 12 October 2012, 14:38 »
Hey there
We have a showroom and demo cars to sample the products
Cheers
Nige

Offline Ginge 35Edition

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 12 October 2012, 15:29 »
Thanks Nige, my in laws live in Newton le willows so next time we're up I'll look you up.

Offline Nige BCS

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 15 November 2012, 10:16 »
New Web site  :grin:
www.powervalve.co.uk