Author Topic: Am I the next victim?  (Read 29069 times)

Offline Jimmgc51

• Here all the time
Re: Am I the next victim?
« Reply #60 on: 11 December 2013, 17:43 »
Here is the upload of my engine over the past few weeks and as you can tell its getting worse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF4hyTLVCOQ

The 3rd start is the money clip!

You can hear the rattle changing from a chain slap to an idle.

+1 also that mine sounded like that also!
Golf GTI 09, CW, Bi-Xenon, DCC, 18" Monza's, Jakarta, RNS510, Dynaudio, F&R parking sensors, Winter pack...

Ibiza Deep House mix for DL - https://soundcloud.com/jimmgc51/getting-deep-with-house

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
« Reply #61 on: 11 December 2013, 18:35 »
Damm that is bad!!! Thanks for the reference, at least the rest of us know what to listen out for.

Really hope VW look after you!

Just out of interest Ross, what's your mileage and age of vehicle?

59 plate - 53,000 miles  :undecided:
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
« Reply #62 on: 11 December 2013, 18:36 »
Here is the upload of my engine over the past few weeks and as you can tell its getting worse:

Sounds similar to how mine used to be.

Have you quoted the TPI numbers I put in my thread regarding your current issue?

sorry, what TPI numbers mate?
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

Offline burn-gti

• Just got here
« Reply #63 on: 11 December 2013, 18:44 »
I've just bought my 09 Gti a week and a half ago from Evans Halshaw with 45,000 miles on it. I'm getting increasingly worried about this although I did take out a years warranty. I can see them trying to get out of covering the issue if it happens to mine :(

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #64 on: 11 December 2013, 18:51 »

Thanks
The one at 22s and 33s I would put money on been the chain . The others could be injectors and tappets. You need to put your ear on the chain cover and listen to rule out it coming from other sources.
I have a noisy injector that sounds similar to yoyr quieter ones and it scares the crap out of me some mornings.
« Last Edit: 11 December 2013, 18:55 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
« Reply #65 on: 11 December 2013, 19:03 »

Thanks
The one at 22s and 33s I would put money on been the chain . The others could be injectors and tappets. You need to put your ear on the chain cover and listen to rule out it coming from other sources.
I have a noisy injector that sounds similar to yoyr quieter ones and it scares the crap out of me some mornings.

I have put them in order of time, so 1st and 2nd clips was about 4-6 weeks ago and the last two were from a the end of November.

As its in for a check at VW on monday, Im going to write a letter and leave it on the driver seat explaining what i think the problem is and im also going to burn an audio CD with the last two audio clips on it and put it in the CD player and make them listen to it before they do a cold start up. (leaving it over night, so they can start in the morning)

When they listen to the CD there is NO WAY they can say mine is normal. I will demand to listen to a 12 plate on the forecourt and show them the difference.

I have put my ear on the cover and it sounds really bad, but hard to tell where it come from, sound like mid to left of the engine.

Offline Poached

• I live here
« Reply #66 on: 11 December 2013, 20:08 »

Sounds similar to how mine used to be.

Have you quoted the TPI numbers I put in my thread regarding your current issue?

sorry, what TPI numbers mate?

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=260743.msg2397907#msg2397907

Technical Product Information - This is what VW releases for common issues or problems. You could quote TPI 2025206/6 which should help with being specific about what the problem could end up being.

Mine lasted just under 60000 miles (59 plate) and the deterioration was apparent in the noise the week before total failure. All I could describe it as is a slack chain. For me the noise is distinct from the other engine noises.

Offline Poached

• I live here
« Reply #67 on: 11 December 2013, 20:10 »
I've just bought my 09 Gti a week and a half ago from Evans Halshaw with 45,000 miles on it. I'm getting increasingly worried about this although I did take out a years warranty. I can see them trying to get out of covering the issue if it happens to mine :(

Unlikely with a warranty, but it's still a PITA.

Offline Obbzi

• I live here
« Reply #68 on: 12 December 2013, 20:15 »
Just listened to your clips rocketross and that sounds shocking!

At first it sounds like a diesel!

I would point them in the way of this forum and insist on the tensioner being changed to save you a load of mither and the VW garage a load of money  :shocked:
2008 R32 DBP gone. 2008 GT TDI going 2009 GTI coming soon!

Offline Obbzi

• I live here
« Reply #69 on: 12 December 2013, 20:21 »
Another quick update:

Call off VW on Tuesday saying the car 100% needs a new engine!

But they said there was an issue with the service history. They said my service book last shows the car being serviced at 18000 miles. I bought the car from VW with 45000 miles on the car and it was sold with full VW service history!

So they are now taking up the issue with the VW garage I bought my car from.

This has already gone on for 7 days and I haven't even been offered a courtesy car so really struggling at the moment!
2008 R32 DBP gone. 2008 GT TDI going 2009 GTI coming soon!