Author Topic: Rust - Seems Snoopy's Waxoyl may be a good idea?  (Read 4925 times)

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
Rust - Seems Snoopy's Waxoyl may be a good idea?
« on: 17 June 2010, 07:22 »
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=158289.20

So... We can expect the MK6 arches to start rusting in what?

Looking at the pics Snoopy posted and quality on MK6 vs MK5....

Say 4 to 5 years?

:undecided:
« Last Edit: 18 June 2010, 12:31 by 08micsta »

The Ultimate Club for Mini Fanatics

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline adw555

• Here all the time
Re: Rust - Seems Snoopy isnt wrong for being OCD
« Reply #1 on: 17 June 2010, 07:40 »
my mk 5 was still spotless after 5 years...I'm hoping that car in the link has had work done on the wings to cause that...shocking  :sad:

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #2 on: 17 June 2010, 07:48 »
Ours is still spotless too. No issues or qualms.

That said... Ours is waxed monthly and sleeps in a garage. Barely gets used when its wet and is looked after by an OCD car detailer.

So I would expect ours to still be perfect.

But compare the insulation and even paint quality of the Mk5 to Mk6 and Im very concerned.

Hopefully the rust on this Mk5 is something a body shop did and not a factory issue.

The Ultimate Club for Mini Fanatics

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline Davstylee

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 17 June 2010, 16:24 »
Hey people, the car in that post is mine :cry: :cry: :cry: I only brought it at the end of November from a main VW dealer none the less, no wonder they call them stealers.

I absolutely love the car, but by god it’s had some bugs, the rust being the worst of them though.

My local VW dealer doesn't have a body shop so I'm waiting for the VW dealer in Sevenoaks to contact me to arrange a date for an inspection and stuff. In the mean time the salesman at Abridge VW where I brought the car has just received a very blunt and harsh letter explaining the problem and demanding an explanation and some compensation. If I don’t get ether legal action here I come as I am really ticked off at the moment.

Will keep you all updated. Keep your fingers crossed for the issue to get fixed quickly please.
Mrk V, GTI, 3dr, DSG, heated seats, winter pack, cruise control, rear parking sensors and now thanks to GizzyWizzy and SteveP in the MK6 section a RCD 510. Awesome!

Offline Hartside

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 17 June 2010, 17:57 »
Jeez, that's terrible. Can you see any signs of repair or overspray? Good luck with the dealer as presumably it had none showing when you bought it, so he should put it right (fingers crossed)
Carbon Grey 5dr GTI

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 17 June 2010, 18:44 »
Jeez, that's terrible. Can you see any signs of repair or overspray? Good luck with the dealer as presumably it had none showing when you bought it, so he should put it right (fingers crossed)

I say bye bye to Wolfgang in March 2013 or maybe slightly earlier. So, by that time time his novelty value would have been depleted. So if rust appears, he can rot to drop! :lipsrsealed:

However, Snoops is a GTi collector and I fully appreciate his care and attention. It's not OCD but sense and sensibility. :smiley:
« Last Edit: 17 June 2010, 18:46 by am1w »
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline Hartside

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 17 June 2010, 18:51 »

I say bye bye to Wolfgang in March 2013 or maybe slightly earlier. So, by that time time his novelty value would have been depleted. So if rust appears, he can rot to drop! :lipsrsealed:

However, Snoops is a GTi collector and I fully appreciate his care and attention. It's not OCD but sense and sensibility. :smiley:

Same here, mine will be traded somewhere between 2 - 3 years from now, so rust will probably be the next owners look out. But I am a bit obsessive with my cars and look after them. Davsylee's car shouldn't be like that though around the arches, smacks of a botched repair that should be put right. Hopefully the dealer will do the honourable thing by him
Carbon Grey 5dr GTI

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 17 June 2010, 19:14 »
Davsylee's car shouldn't be like that though around the arches, smacks of a botched repair that should be put right. Hopefully the dealer will do the honourable thing by him

It has to be a botched repair as you rightly point out. No car of that age should rust in that fashion.
The dealer, if he is worth his salt, should put it right. Otherwise, it's name and shame.
« Last Edit: 17 June 2010, 19:17 by am1w »
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 17 June 2010, 21:00 »

It has to be a botched repair as you rightly point out. No car of that age should rust in that fashion.
The dealer, if he is worth his salt, should put it right. Otherwise, it's name and shame.

Your right no car of that age should rust however my 2 year old Mazda 6 was rusting on all 4 wings before I traded it in and it hadn't been involved in any repairs.  I posted the story on the original link.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Keithuk

• I live here
Re: Rust - Seems Snoopy's Waxoyl may be a good idea?
« Reply #9 on: 18 June 2010, 12:52 »
Well I've always been a firm believer in oil sprays. There are alot of insulation covers under the floor and they aren't easy to take off. I did waxoyl under all the wings and I must do inside the doors as it appears that Golfs hold alot of water in the doors and the drain holes aren't enough or very big and it doesn't drain out properly until you open the door because of the extra sill seals they fitted because users complained of wind noise from the door.  :wink:
2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.