Author Topic: DIY or Pro?  (Read 6450 times)

Offline Jeff Wood

• GTI forum regular
Re: DIY or Pro?
« Reply #20 on: 18 June 2018, 13:55 »
arrr OK, thanks again,
2018 Golf GTI. 3 Door. DSG. Tornado Red.
Eibach Pro Kit. OZ Hyper GT HLT Wheels. (18x8, ET50).
Forge 11mm spacers on rear wheels. 5mm on fronts.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 18 June 2018, 14:05 »
If I were you Jeff I'd keep it simple, as low contact as possible and not rush into anything. I'd use this as a good opportunity to assess the condition of the paint as it may need a machine polish should you be wanting it at it's best. I'd wash, decontaminate, wash and dry. Then check all over to see if it needs claying and for any swirls. Then I'd wax and think about what I need to do next (clay and polish, hand or machine) and plan to do it in the autumn when the weather cools. I'd add that I am very much a novice to all this too which is why I suggest caution, should you feel confident in your abilities then do go ahead at your own pace! Also, despite meaning to for the last 2+ years I haven't yet polished mine :embarrassed: :whistle: :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 18 June 2018, 15:01 »
Good advice there Watts. :smiley:
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Jeff Wood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #23 on: 18 June 2018, 15:13 »
agreed, thats what I'll do, thanks all..

I'll post some pics when I've done it :)
2018 Golf GTI. 3 Door. DSG. Tornado Red.
Eibach Pro Kit. OZ Hyper GT HLT Wheels. (18x8, ET50).
Forge 11mm spacers on rear wheels. 5mm on fronts.

Offline spills

• Just got here
« Reply #24 on: 18 June 2018, 20:08 »
Thanks for all the info guys.
I'm going to get the Pro to do the initial.
Hopefully I can book him as soon as I know when I can collect the car. If I can't make an appointment for quite a few days due to needing to get to work in the car I will decontaminate it with as little contact as possible just so it's clean. Then let the pro clean and polish it when I can get an appointment.
I still need to buy shed loads of cleaning products for the future  :huh:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 18 June 2018, 21:23 »
Thanks for all the info guys.
I'm going to get the Pro to do the initial.
Hopefully I can book him as soon as I know when I can collect the car. If I can't make an appointment for quite a few days due to needing to get to work in the car I will decontaminate it with as little contact as possible just so it's clean. Then let the pro clean and polish it when I can get an appointment.
I still need to buy shed loads of cleaning products for the future  :huh:

If you’re getting a pro detail, there’s little point in you decontaminating it yourself. The pro will do it as part of a new car detail. Leave it him.

You don’t need shed loads of gear.  Start with good quality basics and build from there. 

Couple of buckets and grit guards
Decent wash mitt
Wheel mitt
Decent shampoo
Good microfibre drying towels
A few microfibre cloths.
Some sacrificial protection to top up your pro applied protection - be guided by your pro detailed to choose something compatible with your pro detailed applied protection. If nano coating, stick with stuff with same chemical base.  If wax, choose compatible organic based top up protection. 
Wheel sealant - though what you choose for bodywork could do the job.
That’s the basics.

Other stuff, like tyre dressing, glass cleaner, interior cleaner, tailpipe polish can be added as you desire. 
« Last Edit: 18 June 2018, 21:29 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline ne0star

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 19 June 2018, 10:37 »
I think if I was doing things over I would have probably gone for the pro detail asap after picking my car up.  Just to give it that solid foundation.  This is definitely one of the best detailing sections of any forum I have been on.  I have always taken care when washing any of my cars, but I have learned loads of cool tips and product recommendations on here.

I watched my neighbour the other day give his brand new Audi A6 Black Edition its first wash.  It took him about 30 minutes and consisted of a jet wash rinse, a single bucket of water and a 99p sponge.

Just shows having a nice car, doesn't guarantee people care about such things.
2018 Golf GTI DSG in Deep Pearl Black

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 03 July 2018, 09:58 »
Spills
Your in my county.
We have one or two superb detailers around, one if which I have used since my car was PDI'd.

If you find a company that is detailing manufacturers unregistered cars worth upwards of £1/2m for exhibitions the  then you know your onto a good company.

My advice;
TELL your dealer if they touch the paintwork you will refuse the car!
They are only allowed to clean the windows required for the PDI, everything else stays as it rolled off the transporter.
Second don't have your number plates screwed on, one dealer still screwed the plates on despite the owner insisting they were stuck on (there are some real dummies out there)!
Liase with your choosen detailer on everything!
It will take two days to complete the work so don't be in a hurry.

See my post about my new car, the dealer I used and importantly who detailed it (and who still cleans it).