Author Topic: Full Service with VW parts  (Read 3493 times)

Offline Gaz2559

• Not said much yet
Re: Full Service with VW parts
« Reply #10 on: 26 December 2013, 10:05 »
I will check out YouTube vids for changing brake discs and pads and see about giving it a shot!

Swift motor engineering is based in Westerhope and website is http://www.swiftmotorengineering.co.uk. Not used before but saw a post with someone recommending them.  I'm sure they will be able to assist on the tensioner.

I got a quote elsewhere for a full service of £180 but that wasn't with VW parts and did not include a health check, so for the sake of etc £40 probs worth it. I think I'm more suited to Lifelong service and I guess if my driving style/ regime differs then the sensors will detect that and reduce the mileage between services.

Cheers.

Offline Mattyj

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 26 December 2013, 10:36 »
Just make sure you clean discs first with brake cleaner as they come with a protctive grease on

Offline Poached

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 26 December 2013, 11:00 »
I would keep a service history with a decent garage. Some of these jobs are easy enough to do but when selling, a trader or private buyer will be able to knock the price down when they see service gaps and it might put people off.

There's no guarantee or traceability with DIY work. This isn't a £1000 shed is it?
« Last Edit: 26 December 2013, 19:39 by Poached »

Offline Mattyj

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 26 December 2013, 11:14 »
Disagree never had greif aboiut service history

Offline Gaz2559

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 26 December 2013, 12:22 »
Will report back about the garage, but confident it's spot on.

When I have sold previous cars people didn't seem totally fussed about what service it had (dealer v local garage), so long as it had been properly maintained. Just want it to be given a good check over and make sure something isn't wrong with it that I wouldn't pick up on. Need it to be spot on for the arrival of bambino!

So £220 doesn't seem too bad given it would cost me say £60 for all parts and x time doing full service and then needing someone to reset system etc etc, nor would I be able to do diagnostic check. Car is 2009 GT Tdi 140 with 63k on it. Timing belt and water pump changed at 54k miles.

Out of interest what do other people pay for a full service?

Wish I had enough time learn how to be confident enough around a car and do most mechanical jobs!

Gaz

Offline Mattyj

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 26 December 2013, 12:30 »
I paid £63 for parts service car in under an hour but i am an engineer the service light reset is in the handbook you don't need to plug it in via obd to reset it however a code read mite be handy to spot any issues tbf i had a £400 polo that never went wrong so that would be fine for a little one

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #16 on: 26 December 2013, 13:03 »
Just fyi: There are Plenty of members in the newcastle area with vagcom vcds who could scan it in the future if you ever needed.

Must admit ive never bothered with full main dealer history as I keep my cars at least 8 years were its less important.
Most my cars get serviced by myself or family or friends most of them work in the motor trade, I just keep all receipts to show whats been fitted when. That way I know its been done correctly..
« Last Edit: 26 December 2013, 13:12 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Mattyj

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 26 December 2013, 13:12 »
As above keep receipts!