Author Topic: (Rich) Peoples Car?  (Read 8270 times)

Offline aixlad

• Just got here
(Rich) Peoples Car?
« on: 11 August 2004, 22:31 »
Well I'm looking at replacing my 6 year old GTi 1.8T and received a price list today for the new MkV.  That was several hours ago, I've just regained consciousness!

In front of me I have Skoda and VW price lists, check this out -

CD Autochanger - Skoda=?275  VW=?395  (+30%)
Cruise Control -    Skoda=?125  VW=?270  (+53%)
Parking Sensors -  Skoda=?200  VW=?295  (+32%)
Xenon Headlamps Skoda=?500  VW=?725  (+31%)

OK, OK, OK, it's a Skoda, but remember the various components are raided from the VW/Audi Parts Bins!  So the quality should represent what I'm used to.

I checked out a Fabia vRS (?12,000 otr) and was amazed at just how many parts are the same as my Golf.  Here are a few, Steering Wheel, Interior light, Mirrors (+the silly break off rotary switch), Indicator/light steering column stalks, etc, etc, etc.  And it has the 130TDi engine!

What do you reckon to this?  Are we being ripped off?  If I buy a new MkV Golf now, will I be upset when the prices are reduced in several months time?  Interesting approach VW........... ::)

Maybe I should just buy a Fabia vRS for ?12k, and use the "spare" ?8k+ for something else.

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
Re:(Rich) Peoples Car?
« Reply #1 on: 12 August 2004, 14:21 »
I think the general consensus of opinion is that the MKV is well and truly over priced. If I had the coin and I was looking to buy new or nearly new I think I would be going for the Seat Leon Cupra R, really nice car and still in the VW stable.  :) I know VWs in general hold their values but you can't help thinking that the residual values on the new MKVs are going to drop really quickly.  :(
......now officially dubless.

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
Re: (Rich) Peoples Car?
« Reply #2 on: 29 August 2004, 23:31 »
LCR's have brembos too ;D
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Online jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 31 August 2004, 13:32 »
just been looking at the skoda site, that Fabia vRS is a bargain! buy one of those, a rallye, a mk1 and have some change!
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline aixlad

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 31 August 2004, 22:50 »
The new GTi is just too expensive, and the optional extras are so obviously a rip off when you compare them across the other VAG brands.  I've owned various Mk1, Mk2, Mk3 and Mk4 Golfs over the last 20 years, but really can't see myself parting with ?20k to buy a very bland looking Mk5.  I would also question the quality of the interior trim and hard plastics, they are nowhere as good as in the Mk4.

Consider this, a Skoda Fabia vRS is ?12k as opposed to ?20k for the Golf, we're talking considerable amounts of cash here.  Over 3 years, that ?8k difference would buy enough diesel to take you 100,000 miles!  Maybe I'm just barking up the wrong tree, and showing my age!   :'(

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
« Reply #5 on: 01 September 2004, 14:29 »
Not at all, I was all for going for a Mk5 GTi, but when I saw how much a non-GTi costs, I knew the GTi would be very expensive.

So I went Jap (sorry everyone) because the value is too hard to ignore, and no matter how good they've improved the driving dynamics over the Mk4, the MK5 GTi is never going to be as quick as where my ?20k has just gone.

(PS, me, JV and rich have a couple of project cars on the go, so I can still be genuine VW boy)  ;D

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

dub_addicted

« Reply #6 on: 01 September 2004, 19:29 »
wot jap car did u get?

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
« Reply #7 on: 02 September 2004, 07:57 »
Impreza WRX, gets here tomorrow (hopefully)

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

Offline aixlad

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 05 September 2004, 15:15 »
S11EPS, nice one, enjoy your Scooby!  I too have abandoned the Mk5 GTi, and instead ordered a Skoda Fabia vRS.  Admittedly not as much street cred as a GTi, but I'm left with ?9,500 change in my pocket which gives me a HUGE grin!

My new Skoda will be the first car I have owned in 25 years that will not have the VW roundel on the bonnet!
« Last Edit: 05 September 2004, 15:21 by aixlad »

dub_addicted

« Reply #9 on: 05 September 2004, 19:32 »
wots a skoda?  ;D