Author Topic: Actions arrising from first track day  (Read 10756 times)

VeeDubGTI16v

Re: Actions arrising from first track day
« Reply #30 on: 31 December 2009, 14:25 »
they would only be a guideline. i got the shapes of someone else and remember having to do a bit of trimming. the gap for the oil is a bit rubbish as well and i cut mine differently

ill do a quick drawing and get it scanned next week  :afro:

Offline gazpowells

• I live here
« Reply #31 on: 31 December 2009, 16:35 »
I think there's a windage tray available off the shelf, from something random like a TDI motor.

Sump baffles - I think Veegrumpgti16v has templates for them.

thanks mate  :smiley:

Have found windage tray on VAG-CAT your right it comes from a TDI motor

part number 037115220B

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 31 December 2009, 17:45 »
I think there's a windage tray available off the shelf, from something random like a TDI motor.

Sump baffles - I think Veegrumpgti16v has templates for them.

thanks mate  :smiley:

Have found windage tray on VAG-CAT your right it comes from a TDI motor

part number 037115220B

You can get the windage tray from GSF for about £25 to £30 or cheaper from veedubmachine

http://www.veedubmachine.co.uk/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=baffle

Paul

Offline JonLeeper

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #33 on: 04 January 2010, 17:15 »
Right this has come to a surprising head, but to a head it has come!   :rolleyes:

I was talking to a very good friend of mine, over a couple of bottles of red wine I admit, who was on R&R from Afghanistan and am now looking at organising a 5 day boys trip to the Ring and Spa in May this year!  :laugh: It is initially only the two of us but there may be another by the time we go, dependant on actually going and expense etcetera.  Thus I need to plan the trip and get the car in a state that it will not disgrace itself, or me, for the duration.  I plan to borrow a trailer and tow it across, that far in a stripped out Mk2 does not appeal at all.  Budget is limited but probably about another £500 to spend on the car itself, so some prioritising may have to be done.

So jobs that must be done, jobs that should be done and jobs that it would be nice to do but I will probably run out of time for………

Brakes: 

These worked fine, apart from the locking the rear issue.   Now this should be rectified by tweaking that rear bias adjuster so nothing to worry about here.

Suspension:

Overall the suspension is not too bad, the springs have lowered the car about 50mm and seem good, the shocks are a bit tired but still serviceable, I think!  I have got hold of, as soon as they arrive, a full set of poly-bushes for the car so will have to fit these.  I will also finish cleaning up the wide track pieces and fit those at the same time.  Now I can fit most of the bushes for the front to the new components off the car and this should speed up the process.  The rear beam will need to come off the car and I will try and get it cleaned and painted before it gets replaced.

Steering:

No real problems here, the wheel could do with being a bit smaller but I am not that bothered.  If I find an e-bay bargain then this could be done otherwise it will be no change.

Interior:

The buckets and 6 point harnesses worked well so no problem there.  There was a minor issue with the front screen misting up so I will need to fix something to prevent this.  There is absolutely nothing left of the original heater so I was thinking that a small electric heater/de-mister fitted to the bulkhead would provide everything that I need.  They can be bought for not that much and should be easily fitted into one, of the many, redundant positions in the fuse box.  Talking about the wiring can I chop out any wires that are not attached to anything without compromising the ECU?  I think that I ought to be able to but I have heard of people having problems with odd faults after cutting any wires in a loom, admittedly not with a 20 year old VW!  I have a set of polycarbonate windows in the garage so these may well be fitted before we go.

Exterior:

Nothing really to worry about here.  I need some new spigot rings for the 15” wheels but that should not be a problem, I hope!

Engine:

I am not at all convinced about this area, the smoking under high revs or prolonged cornering, still not being resolved.  I have a new oil pump to fit and will baffle the sump, as soon as plans are posted, and fit a windage tray before I go but I am still concerned that there may be a fundamental problem with the engine.  I am also thinking about overhalling the gear selection mechanism, new bushes and a weighted rod.

So there is some scope for a single large(ish) purchase for the car.  There are three possibilities that immediately spring to mind.  The first is a full cage, currently in the classifieds, a new engine, a slightly modified 2l 8v is on Pistonheads, or new suspension.  What is the consensus, am I being totally optimistic, am I trolley mad, will I succeed??   :undecided:
« Last Edit: 04 January 2010, 17:29 by JonLeeper »

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #34 on: 04 January 2010, 23:15 »
Get the bushes done.  The 'ring eats bushes for sure.

Get the brakes checked over VERY thoroughly to make sure they're operating properly.  The 'ring isn't hard on brakes, as it's a lot more open than most circuits, so your brakes will have time to cool between heavy applications.  I would still recommend 280mms on the front - they are SO effective.

Get a standard heater fan and matrix in there.  It rains at the 'ring a LOT and you want to have an effective ventilation and heating system.  Why people remove heaters from their Golfs is utterly beyond me.

Have you replaced the radiator?  If not, do so.  Kesselchen is a BIG hill and you'll be going balls out repeatedly.  You'll also wind up sitting in basically heavy traffic waiting to get on and off the track.  On the track shouldn't be too much of a challenge, but coming off you'll be carrying a lot of heat in the motor and you need to be able to dissipate that effectively.  Unless you know when the pump was done I'd do that, too.

A free-breathing head would be nice to be sure, but I would put money into making sure all the wearing parts are sound first before replacing a well-bedded-in motor with a new one, however hot it's supposed to be.  The biggest thing you need out there is reliability.

Have fun, take care.  Choose your insurer wisely.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #35 on: 10 January 2010, 20:47 »
« Last Edit: 13 January 2010, 10:37 by veedubgti16v »

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #36 on: 16 January 2010, 09:16 »
I've never trusted you and that underlines it.

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #37 on: 16 January 2010, 09:25 »
what have you ever had to trust me over?

scale on pics was wrong, i need to do it properly. plus no-one replied so i guessed it wasn't that important

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #38 on: 16 January 2010, 09:28 »
Didn't realise you'd removed the pics, I just thought you were posting a full stop.  That's something not to be trusted.