Author Topic: *Opinions needed* Passat GTI 20V Engine on a 1986 Cab...  (Read 1603 times)

Offline 83GTI-DS

• Not said much yet
Thank you & short message to Gibby at the end of the message :)

Now on to my request for help? :grin:

I found an 86 imported GTI Cabrio, red paint, black top, 2 doors, 3rd owner, 180,000 KMs (around 115,000 miles), original rims, rear windshield defroster (the thingy that makes the humidity go away - sorry, but no idea how that's called exactly? :laugh: ), and my question is:

This car was fitted with a Passat 1.8 GTI? 20V engine, from around 91-92 or something along these lines. The engine is relatively new as far as its mileage, according to the owner. Can anyone provide me with specs regarding this engine, or the general idea of placing such an engine in this car? It doesn't sound too natural, but then again they're both VWs, so who knows... I'm pretty new at this. What are your thoughts guys? Could it be a good match for this car? Also - can anyone show me some specs for a Passat GTI engine of this sort, just so I know a bit more about it?

Also - Excuse me for my ignorance, but how does a 5V per Cylinder engine actually work? What's the extra valve for - a 3rd exhaust valve for each cylinder, or what?

Thank you VERY much for all your help again!? :wink:? :smiley:? :smiley: :smiley:

Adi.

Gibby,

By far you didn't bother me to death - on the contrary! You've been of great help. The 1992 Karmann GTI was just out of my budget unfortunately, and I had to focus on a different one that was much closer to my financial abilities.

Golf GTI is not a common car around here. I've just heard from one of the club manager of the VAG club in Israel that some people spend a full year or more before finding a Golf GTI for a major project, and they're willing to shed some serious dollars (or NIS - New Israeli Shekels? :grin: ). I must have been lucky, and also spent countless hours scouring ads to find these few cars I have.

This is also why I ask questions about an MK-1 Cab, and then go on to the MK-2 forums to ask about a totally different car - so far I was able to locate 5 cars, of which only 3 were worth taking a look at. That's in about a month or more of scouring the net as well as the local papers, and non-local papers (and also some motor magazines around here).

Of those three, one was unfortunately too expensive for me (the 1992 Karmann Cab I was talking about), since the owner wanted $8K USD for it. In Israel that's lower than the acceptable price for this car, but still too high for me.

I did locate two other cars that are of interest. One is an MK-2 GTI, which I have yet to see since it's very far in the north and I'll have to plan that sometime, possibly next week.
« Last Edit: 13 February 2005, 05:09 by 83GTI-DS »

Offline 83GTI-DS

• Not said much yet
Re: *Opinions needed* Passat GTI 20V Engine on a 1986 Cab...
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2005, 05:11 »
Changed my subject - I don't think the first subject was right for this message  :laugh:

Thanks for all your help guys, can't wait to get some specs / opinions on that engine (and find out what on earth the 5th valve in each Cylinder does... I thought it's possible the engine is a V5 engine... but then again I was specifically told V4, and it's a 1.8 engine - so it all fits.

Clueless  :cry:

Offline mk1

• I live here
  • 2ltr16v turbo (now with programmable EFI)
« Reply #2 on: 13 February 2005, 10:16 »
Hi Adi.
Can you get the engine code?, this will make it easier to identify the engine. 5 valve per cylinder engines have two exhaust valves and three inlets to help the engine to "breath" better for better performance.
Steve.

Offline 83GTI-DS

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 13 February 2005, 17:41 »
Getting the engine code is something I might be able to do in a couple of days. Thanks for the info on the 5th valve in each Cylinder.

Isn't there some general information available regarding a Passat GTI engine from these years (91-92)? Mainly looking to find out the following:

1) Is it a good "match" with a Golf Cab, or is it an oddity that is best avoided as it hasn't been done a lot before?

2) Does it have the overall same properties as an i16V Golf GTI engine from around the same year? or is it totally different? Is it weaker, stronger etc.

Thanks again for the help!

Offline mk1

• I live here
  • 2ltr16v turbo (now with programmable EFI)
« Reply #4 on: 13 February 2005, 18:02 »
I may be wrong but Passat GTI engines from 91-92 were 16v (in the UK anyway). If it is a 2ltr 16v it is a good match and is similar to a 1800cc 16v used in the mk2 golfs but with a bit more low down power.
Steve.

Offline 83GTI-DS

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 13 February 2005, 19:13 »
Steve,

Thanksagain  . So, in essence...  :evil: I would be getting an engine that is a good match to the Cab, and is slightly better than a golf GTI engine when it comes to low down power - that's good news.

I'll check on the year of the engine again (possibly I was wrong and he mentioned a different year), but he specifically explained that it is a 20V engine.

Let me know if you find out anything else about this engine - it might be of a slightly later year, I'll look into that.

Adi.