Author Topic: The noisy people’s car…  (Read 9832 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: The noisy people’s car…
« Reply #10 on: 04 August 2020, 14:39 »
I think that's the point, I am not sure why I should be going through all these things on a 14 months old car having done less than 9000 miles...!!! To my thinking, they should not be there... especially the ones supposedly once fixed and now coming back...

If it were just one or two, and they were fixed, I would not be too miffed... But to be chasing more after already chasing some for 14 months...!!!

I can't disagree with that! Problem is the sort of car that is put together better and rattle free is normally rather boring :laugh:. You'll get there and it will be worth the effort. So much happier with mine now.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline DaveA

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 04 August 2020, 14:51 »
I think that's the point, I am not sure why I should be going through all these things on a 14 months old car having done less than 9000 miles...!!! To my thinking, they should not be there... especially the ones supposedly once fixed and now coming back...

If it were just one or two, and they were fixed, I would not be too miffed... But to be chasing more after already chasing some for 14 months...!!!

I’d personally rather try and find and fix them myself go rather than entrust the dealer to try and do it.

The prospect of the dealer ripping the interior of my car apart, with the risk of them breaking trim clips, damaging pieces of trim and creating more creaks and rattles in the process would fill me with dread.

Sorry, I was not very clear, the point I was trying to make is that the rattles should not be there in the first place... So I am really focussing on whether or not there is an issue of poor/reduced quality design/build over the quality of remedy...

I am of an age now where, to be honest, I am not all that into extensive DIY on my cars... and chasing/fixing rattles and noises from trim, doors, roofs, seat latches is not something I feel I should have to be doing to have a car that I should have from delivery...

... and, yes, I'm with you... I'm not letting the dealer loose on my car for those sorts of reasons... I am happy they tackle issues we can specifically localise... and they have been pretty careful fixing those, to be fair... But, no, not interested in them doing a strip and rebuild... I mean, why should we have to do that anyway...

Offline DaveA

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 04 August 2020, 14:58 »

I can't disagree with that! Problem is the sort of car that is put together better and rattle free is normally rather boring :laugh:. You'll get there and it will be worth the effort. So much happier with mine now.

Well... Two of my three Porsche's had no cabin noise (and the third, did, but for a very specific reason and there was not much you could do)... and none of my BMW's did, either.... and none of these were rather boring (especially not the third Porsche, which was rather stunning and the vibration actually made me laugh)... 😉

It's odd, but I still expect the VW to have been better than what I am experiencinga dn I don;t think any of us should be chasing rattles and whatever... I had a Seat Cupra once that had an annoying rattle from the dash... The equivalent VW GTI did not do that, in those days,... But the SEAT was significantly cheaper... So should it have rattled.. no... but I kind of felt I could live with it more because of the value I was getting...

A Mk 7.5 GTI was, let's say, significantly more costly that the equivalent Hyundai i30 N Performance, and I did not hear any rattles in that when I tested it...

I have just now decided to actually write to VW and see what they say... My email may go into the bin marked "pending", but I shall give it a shot...

Give me something to do whilst still awaiting covid to pass... 😂

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 04 August 2020, 22:39 »
I’m 18 months into ownership and never had any such problems. Feels very well put together, it has surprised me to read complaints of vw build quality on this forum. Maybe something to do with quality of roads the cars are used on? All I know is mine is solid!
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Aparat

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 05 August 2020, 00:18 »
My car is 19 plate PP and rattles like mad. It was silent up until 9-10000 miles. Now it's just one after another. I'm well disappointed with the build quality of my car.

Interior noises are my worst nightmares because as soon as I can hear so many I'm thinking off selling the car.  :sad:
« Last Edit: 05 August 2020, 00:21 by Aparat »

Online Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 05 August 2020, 08:32 »
19 months from new and (touching a lot of wood) no rattles apart from an occasional creak from the drivers seat squab - I can live with that. Roads around my way are pretty rubbish, but I avoid pot holes and speed humps to save my suspension if that makes any difference?. It’s also generally just me in the car.
Compared to the Discovery 3 and 4 I had, also both from new, over a 13 year period, the GTI is a haven of solitude - there were so many creaks and rattles on both cars that cost a lot more than a GTI, I used to think something was wrong if they didn’t rattle.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline o`Neil

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 05 August 2020, 16:51 »
I have a few rattles, one in the drivers door, seems every VW I`ve owned has a rattle in the drivers door.

Another under the dash somewhere, that seems random and one underneath the rear I get over bumps. I`ve had a look and can`t find it.

The worst thing I have is road / tyre noise. I`ve even swapped tyres but that didn`t help.

Offline RM

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 06 August 2020, 07:14 »
Every VW I’ve owned has rattled. It’s to be expected IMO. I’ve also been through the family and had a Seat Exeo, Leon Cupra R, and Leon FR, and a Skoda Octavia VRS, and they all rattled too. In the Leon FR I got so fed up I paid for full sound deadening and that made a huge difference.

I once had a brand new Golf MK5 which rattled in the engine bay as well as the interior, so the few rattles I can’t resolve in my MK7.5 is relatively decent.

Offline DaveA

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 06 August 2020, 10:55 »
Every VW I’ve owned has rattled. It’s to be expected IMO. I’ve also been through the family and had a Seat Exeo, Leon Cupra R, and Leon FR, and a Skoda Octavia VRS, and they all rattled too. In the Leon FR I got so fed up I paid for full sound deadening and that made a huge difference.

I once had a brand new Golf MK5 which rattled in the engine bay as well as the interior, so the few rattles I can’t resolve in my MK7.5 is relatively decent.

Whilst I think it's that a lot of new cars maybe do rattle etc, I certainly don't think it is something we should come to accept (or consider acceptable) and expect... I mean, they do years of R&D on these things before they get released to market, and I don't think they deliberately go for the rattle as a free extra...

Having said that, it has to be the case that in any sample of similar models, some will and some will not... and maybe also the extent to which each of us is prepared to tolerate things is also a factor...

Personally, I think mine has way more "extra" noise than I would consider acceptable in a new car, and if other manufacturers can provide a noise free environment, then VW certainly can...

The question is whilst they are able to, do they want to...??

I guess it comes down to costs and to what degree they want to iron out any of these issues during R&D... Maybe not 100%... So, maybe the owners of new Mk 8's will find things they did not expect and VW can tweak design/construction later... But a 19 plate Mk7.5 is virtually end of model line and they have had 7 years or so to tweak things...

Just very disappointing considering VW would consider their Golf to be competing at the quality end of the market...

Offline DaveA

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 06 August 2020, 11:01 »
I’m 18 months into ownership and never had any such problems. Feels very well put together, it has surprised me to read complaints of vw build quality on this forum. Maybe something to do with quality of roads the cars are used on? All I know is mine is solid!

For sure if I end up on a stretch of new, smooth paving then many of the noises calm down and become quiet... But hardly any of the roads around here are such new, smooth paving... and, yes, obviously we drive to avoid the worst of the problems, but a lot you just cannot avoid...

(as an aside, isn't this now becoming annoying, how much we have to be on the look out for bad road surface, as well as all the other things we should ordinarily be paying attention to as drivers... )...