Author Topic: How do you clean your Austin’s ?  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
How do you clean your Austin’s ?
« on: 16 August 2019, 08:38 »
Hi

I’ve now tried about 6 different brushes.

I’ve tried my Woolies but can’t  get everywhere due to the size of the alloy spokes.

I’ve tried my Ez brush which cleaned the best being bendable and can get everywhere.
But lots of micro scratches on the black paint.

I’m currently using a bendable microfibre brush But isn’t easy to use and just about fits between the alloy and PP calliper.

Thanks
2014 gti pp dsg

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: How do you clean your Austin’s ?
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2019, 09:43 »
Not Austins, but I use a combination of Wheel Woolies to clean the wheel barrels and painted brake calipers, and a Wo-Wo microfibre wheel mitt for the face of the wheel and behind the spokes;

https://wo-wo.co.uk/collections/wo-wo-car-detailing-products/products/microfibre-wheel-wash-mitt

Gets good customer reviews too.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2019, 11:10 »
The Golf's wheels with gloss black and polished (Austins, Parkers etc) aren't that easy to clean well. The 18's are tight to the larger brakes at the front and black gloss is very easily swirled and also brake dust likes to eat it. I use wheel woollies and the middle size brush works on the front and larger one on the rears. Using a fall out remover first helps (Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel or Korrosol). I used Platinum Wheels on mine after 12 months/8k miles and it was extremely hard work to get them properly clean which included full clean, clay bar, hand polish then sealant.

A ceramic sealant will make life easier but once a wheel is past it's best, it is extremely hard to get it properly clean. But if it's had a life of cheap hand car washes (harmful products) or lots of miles and not a lot of cleans, sometimes a full refurb is the only option if you want mint wheels.

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 16 August 2019, 11:16 »
The Golf's wheels with gloss black and polished (Austins, Parkers etc) aren't that easy to clean well. The 18's are tight to the larger brakes at the front and black gloss is very easily swirled and also brake dust likes to eat it. I use wheel woollies and the middle size brush works on the front and larger one on the rears. Using a fall out remover first helps (Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel or Korrosol). I used Platinum Wheels on mine after 12 months/8k miles and it was extremely hard work to get them properly clean which included full clean, clay bar, hand polish then sealant.

A ceramic sealant will make life easier but once a wheel is past it's best, it is extremely hard to get it properly clean. But if it's had a life of cheap hand car washes (harmful products) or lots of miles and not a lot of cleans, sometimes a full refurb is the only option if you want mint wheels.

I agree.

I’ll be getting the alloys refurbished in the next few weeks.

I asked the refurb company if I can come in after the wheels have been painted and seal them a week before fitting and he sounded a bit surprised !

Just got to decide what sealant. I’ve used c5 and dlux in the past but heard good things about r-evolve on detailing world.

https://liquidelementsuk.co.uk/products/r-evolve-x-ceramic-wheel-coating

I really want to apply via airbrush to get a good coating but I’m a bit nervous!
2014 gti pp dsg

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 16 August 2019, 11:32 »
If you can get them sealed then life will be much easier for you!

Managed to get mine pretty good after 8k.

I used https://www.carboncollective.com/product/platinum-wheels/
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 17 August 2019, 13:01 »

Face down on your drive? Wait till you roll it over lol  :laugh:
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 17 August 2019, 18:16 »

Face down on your drive? Wait till you roll it over lol  :laugh:

Yes it does look like that but it’s actually on a step with tyre part. Don’t think face down on the drive would be too sensible!
NOW - 330e M Sport