Author Topic: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on 19” Santiagos  (Read 8804 times)

Offline Peter_S

• Not said much yet
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on 19” Santiagos
« on: 03 December 2018, 07:21 »
Has anyone got any photos of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on 19” Santiagos?

I’m about to purchase a set but am concerned how the the tyre will help protect the rim edge and, how it will look (I seem to see many replacement tyres on cars which just don’t look right).

Thanks,  Peter-S
MY16 5-door Carbon Grey DSG PP DCC Michelin PS4S (March 2019) on 19” Santiagos Discover Media (Gen 2) Car-Net App-Connect (Apple CarPlay)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on 19” Santiagos
« Reply #1 on: 03 December 2018, 09:49 »
Here you go :smiley:

2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline GS WAX

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 03 December 2018, 19:18 »
I’m in the same boat although have brescia’s, looking at PS4’s to replace the factory installed pzeros, may I ask what you changed from and what (apart from grip levels) differences you noticed, noise, steering response and mainly the absorption of bumps.

Cheers
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #302

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 03 December 2018, 19:51 »
I’m in the same boat although have brescia’s, looking at PS4’s to replace the factory installed pzeros, may I ask what you changed from and what (apart from grip levels) differences you noticed, noise, steering response and mainly the absorption of bumps.

Cheers

I had P Zeros before and yes, grip is so much better, they seem to be better on bumps and for general ride quality, haven't noted anything obviously different in steering but 90+% of the time I'm on a dull commute. Noise levels are similar with one difference being the concrete sections of the M25 in Surrey which give a horrendous drone, all cars/tyres I've experienced have had trouble with that but these are the worst. Fortunately that section is not too long :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Peter_S

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 04 December 2018, 14:48 »
Watts, thank you very, very much.  They look just perfect don't they?

I was beginning to think I might not get a response, so this has really made my day. 
I'm going to put an order in for 4 this week.

I was going to revert to P-Zeros because they look great and I've been pleased with them and I couldn't risk the expense and displeasure of getting x4 MPS4s and then finding that I didn't like how they looked on the rim.

Your images are excellent if you don't mind me saying so and do those rim protectors really protrude what looks like 2-3mm?
Even if they don't, it wouldn't put me off getting them after seeing your images.

Best wishes,   Peter_S
BTW you've reminded me to put some details on my profile which include  MY16 5-door Carbon Grey DSG PP DCC Discover Media (Gen 2) Car-Net App-Connect (Apple CarPlay)
MY16 5-door Carbon Grey DSG PP DCC Michelin PS4S (March 2019) on 19” Santiagos Discover Media (Gen 2) Car-Net App-Connect (Apple CarPlay)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 04 December 2018, 21:37 »
You're welcome :smiley: They are a much better tyre than the Pirellis, tramping is an extremely rare occurence now whereas the Pirellis could be pushed into it with relative ease. The rim protection is good too. They seem to have dropped quite a bit in price recently too, they were £180 each after discount on Black Circles when I got mine, more like £160 now.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Peter_S

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 05 December 2018, 17:31 »
Watts, "The rim protection is good too."  That's what I wanted to know.   Thanks for the reassurance.

Yes, KwikFit have today quoted £748 (x4 tyres £676 and £72 fitting)
I might be able to get a discount because I know the manager at the centre I use.

Our size 225/35 R19 Y is not currently available on their website which means that we can't take advantage of Michelin De Luxe Winter Kit promotion which is a pity.
The tyres are available at any KwikFit centre (but no Winter kit promo) although it seems they would have to scrape them up from all corners of the country for me.
That's a pity because I'd like all 4 to be from the same batch - date number on sidewall, crazy I know.

https://www.kwik-fit.com/offers/michelin-winter-kit-2018

I'm in no rush to change so I'll make enquiries at other places such as the one that fitted Cross Climate+ to my wife's MINI Cooper Coupé R58 - very pleased  with those.

Peter_S

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 05 December 2018, 17:46 »
Try Blackcircles, you get a discount for ordering 4 so £156 each fitted (£624 all in). You just choose from their selection of garages where you go to get them fitted. Very easy and a big saving on the price you've been quoted.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Peter_S

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 06 December 2018, 10:56 »
Watts, I will definitely try BlackCircles, thanks.

I had a Lexus IS 250 from new a couple of years ago.  The dealer only charged me £25 for fitting  4 Hankook Vento S1s which I obtained myself from Camskill.  Customer goodwill they said.  What do you think a VW  dealer might charge for fitting?

BTW when I had my MY06 GTI MkV and changed tyres I used the OE VW medal valves about £11 each I recall.
Do we need to use metal valves our Mk 7s?

Peter

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 06 December 2018, 14:02 »
You could ask your VW dealer though I suspect their idea of customer service won't match Lexus. Metal vavles aren't necessary. Another option to look at is Costco, they are usually keenly priced and review well in terms of standards when fitting.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.