Author Topic: The Photography Thread, back again by popular demand!  (Read 263289 times)

Offline jamie_pyrite

• I live here
Re: The Photography Thread, back again by popular demand!
« Reply #200 on: 01 January 2009, 23:50 »
Here's a picture from Christmas Eve. Went for a meal with the GF's family and her baby cousin ended up playing with a hairbrush from a Christmas Cracker! I'm unsure about the colours..

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #201 on: 02 January 2009, 00:06 »
Nick, when you do portrait shots with more than one person in the pic do you set the AF point selection to auto or manual centre? Some of my shots have one face in focus and the other not. Just wondered what you did. And do you know if you can select more than one focus point on manual mode as it only lets me select one of the 9 points. Auto mode is a bit hit and miss sometimes not selecting what I want in focus.

The reason you're having probs is because you need a higher F stop. The smaller the F stop the smaller the depth of field (How far back things are in focus). A low F stop gives a very blurred background very quickly as you travel away from the point of focus backwards and forwards. A high F stop and nearly everything is in focus.

Does that make sense? Your 2nd person in the above example is out of the "Field of Focus" as it where. By upping the Fstop you increase the depth of this field and therefore bring the 2nd person into focus.

You can only select 1 focus point. On auto it is just showing which areas are in focus which is why it lights up more than one spot.

nick

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #202 on: 02 January 2009, 00:08 »
Here's a picture from Christmas Eve. Went for a meal with the GF's family and her baby cousin ended up playing with a hairbrush from a Christmas Cracker! I'm unsure about the colours..

The eyes have it! Excellent shot mate.

Nick

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
  • I'm kind of a big deal...
« Reply #203 on: 02 January 2009, 00:09 »
Can someone explain why a lens with a rating of f1.4 is better for night time shots?

Is it because it can let more light in?

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #204 on: 02 January 2009, 00:13 »
Can someone explain why a lens with a rating of f1.4 is better for night time shots?

Is it because it can let more light in?

Bingo!

A lower F stop (in this case 1.4) means it has a bigger aperture and can therefore let in more light. This means you can shoot in lower light conditions and also it allows you to have a very shallow depth of field (an effect caused by a large aperture). Low F stops can only be achieved with expensive glass so you'll find only fixed length and very expensive zooms will go to low Fstops.

Nick

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
  • I'm kind of a big deal...
« Reply #205 on: 02 January 2009, 00:16 »
I'm trying to bag a nice Minolta 50mm f1.4 lens to go with my A200, hopefully I'll have one soon  :smiley:

p.s. thank you :afro:

Blazing Storm

« Reply #206 on: 02 January 2009, 00:18 »
Nick, when you do portrait shots with more than one person in the pic do you set the AF point selection to auto or manual centre? Some of my shots have one face in focus and the other not. Just wondered what you did. And do you know if you can select more than one focus point on manual mode as it only lets me select one of the 9 points. Auto mode is a bit hit and miss sometimes not selecting what I want in focus.

The reason you're having probs is because you need a higher F stop. The smaller the F stop the smaller the depth of field (How far back things are in focus). A low F stop gives a very blurred background very quickly as you travel away from the point of focus backwards and forwards. A high F stop and nearly everything is in focus.

Does that make sense? Your 2nd person in the above example is out of the "Field of Focus" as it where. By upping the Fstop you increase the depth of this field and therefore bring the 2nd person into focus.

You can only select 1 focus point. On auto it is just showing which areas are in focus which is why it lights up more than one spot.

nick

What F stop do you think is suffient for a hand held pic? Obviously I don't want the shutter speed to be too slow or it will blur. I understand letting in less light with a higher F stop will mean it needs a slower shutter speed for a good exposure.

Thanks Nick, I understand what you are saying. Tomorrow I hope to get some more shots so have more time to experiment.

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #207 on: 02 January 2009, 00:23 »
f8 is the magic number. Start there and work your way up or down and see how you get on. Try using 2 bottle on a table set apart and one a bit back from the other. Set the camera up on a tripod (Or a pile of books or something if you don't have a tripod) and experiment with F stops starting from as low as it'll go and work your way up. You'll be surprised at how it effects your shots.

Once you've done that it'll give you an idea of how it effects your shots at different settings and you start to take that into account when your taking shots. After a while it becomes 2nd nature to pick the right F stop when you compose each shot. Well at least get it roughly right and tweak it from that shot onwards.

Nick

Blazing Storm

« Reply #208 on: 02 January 2009, 00:29 »
Thanks Nick, I'll experiment with the settings. I've ordered a Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod so am looking forward to trying out longer shutter speeds.

Offline jamie_pyrite

• I live here
« Reply #209 on: 02 January 2009, 00:57 »
Thanks Nick, I'll experiment with the settings. I've ordered a Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod so am looking forward to trying out longer shutter speeds.

Manfrotto? Jealous, I am! :)