Author Topic: Dan's mk2 8v to ABF project **Build For Le Mans??**  (Read 62427 times)

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
Well on the 24th November 2010 I picked up a car that i'd loved since ive loved cars.. My mk2 GTI.. My budget was very strict and i didn't want a minter i paid £900 of the gueens notes with a full tank of petrol which i thought was a steal for a car like this..

The car is a 3dr Royal metallic blue GTI 8v just tipped over 150k which is low mileage.. Also its on a J reg so an AUG 91' car.. I viewed and purchased the car in the dark so the next day after getting it home i didn't know what to expect.. The car surprised me it seems to be a very straight car very few visible rust spots but time will tell once i take trim panels off etc.. The paint work has also suffered really bad from lacquer peel around most windows and the drivers door which makes me think this has had a spray job before and not a good one..

The interior well the seats seem to be in mint condition.. Everything else inside the car seems to have took a battering during its life and multiple pieces of interior trim are broken or missing..

To this day i know absolutely nothing about mk2's so this is a project for the car and for my own learning.. the car pulls very well and no signs of smoke or losing of oil/coolant etc which is a good thing and i was told the engine only good for 150k but it seems to be great at the moment..

This will be an ongoing project lasting at least a year as i will doing all the work (well as much as possible) myself including a respray at some point next year.. So dont expect updates every day or so as progress will be slow.. If you have any questions about what im doing or parts you may have feel free to pm me..
« Last Edit: 17 February 2013, 12:40 by tech1889 »
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
Re: Dan's mk2 8v to ABF 'restoration' project
« Reply #1 on: 06 March 2011, 14:47 »
Well some good news.. the mk2 has moved into its new home next to my garage and its fenced in so its secure   there was more room than expected and i can get in and out of the car....

Finally have the MK3 here im taking the engine out over the weekend so will have loads of pics for you guys to look at..  once this is done 'operation restoration' can begin 

Drove it for 5 mins last week and realised i miss this already 

Update soooooooooonnnnn........

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #2 on: 06 March 2011, 14:49 »

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #3 on: 06 March 2011, 14:49 »
Well 'Operation Restoration' has begun.. ive booked the next 2 days off work to do some more.. ive stripped the front end off.. removed some wiring from engine and of course the lights.. rust doesnt seem to bad from what i can see at the mo just a lot of bits need refurbing as i will in due course..

The project is hopefully going to start going at a better pace as i need this finished as im gona get rid of the leon and use this as my daily driver..

Once the loom is removed it will be sent off with the mk3 ABF loom to RubJonny to work his magic and splice them together for easier installation plus i dont have the time..

The ABF needs to be lifting onto my engine stand and is going to be given..

New cambelt, waterpump and tesnioner
New auxiliary belt
new rocker cover gasket
remove sump clean and clean pick up
New oil pump
And going to generally check over the engine to see if anything because of wear and tear needs replacing..

updates to follow soon.. and pics hopefully

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #4 on: 06 March 2011, 14:50 »
Right a little update from todays efforts..

Read up a little on removing the dash and i thought i might as well so i can get to the wiring much easier and why its out i could change to a mk3 golf heater matrix so i dont set on fire while driving along one day 

Heres pics of how she stands today.. im hoping to find a welders who will sort out all my rust problems.. and then in a couple of months should be going body shop for a full respray.. door shuts.. windows removed the whole thing.. I also removed a very bad immobilier/alarm today was fitted very cowboy so will be tidying up the wiring that it left over the coming weeks.. and a thatcham cat 1 fitted once the car is finished..

Going to remove the carpet soon and look for rust as i dont wana drive the car and spend loads of money on it to then in a years time find loads of rust..

anyways heres the pics..

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #5 on: 06 March 2011, 16:54 »
Good luck with the project :afro:

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #6 on: 06 March 2011, 19:05 »
Cheers Wayne.. I only started a dub rides thread as well as a project thread is that im gona need help at various stages throughout this build so as you cant post in project threads thought i may as well ask my questions in this thread  :smiley:

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #7 on: 07 March 2011, 20:44 »
il be watching this one.  :smiley:

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #8 on: 07 March 2011, 21:21 »
Right i have just received a cordless impact wrench to see if that will free my seized 30mm hub nut...

I need to remove the drive shafts ive read odds and sods but what do you guys recon is the easiest way ?? I bought a 12 point spline m8 bit as advised from threads...  any other tools needed ??

Ive bought a 11mm brake spanner because i want to remove and refurb my brake servo to make removing the wiring much easier.. any advice on removing this ?? and do they really wear out and worth replacing as its quite rusty but seen replacements for like £130 so quite steep...

Cheers

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #9 on: 08 March 2011, 13:54 »
Sand the servo off and paint it.

A breaker bar and some scaf-pole is more likely to resolve your seized nut issues than some impact gun.  Admit it to yourself, you've bought a toy, not a tool.

You'll need the 12-spline bit to do the driveshaft bolts.  Get everything cracked off before you start doing anything like releasing brake lines etc - it'll make your life a lot easier if things are slackened off before it's all apart and non-functioning.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.