Author Topic: horney - "mkII Gti 8v Track Toy"  (Read 46098 times)

Offline mattneck(Beavis)

• I live here
  • Bristol's Own (DJ) Beavis ;-)
Re: horney - "mkII Gti 8v Track Toy"
« Reply #20 on: 10 December 2009, 16:13 »
New boots

Toyo T1R's in 195/50 R15 flavour £150 fitted and balanced. Schweet.

nick

Thread Hijack-sadly I recognise that as being Ladymead Just by the paving and lighting in general :embarrassed:
Sig Removed. No Longer Applicable. New Sig? Nah. Not Yet..

Sharpo says: (16:57:39)
to be honest i dont doubt that half ggti users have a shortcut on their desktop for sharpie's last posts

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #21 on: 10 December 2009, 16:18 »
Your observational skills are strong!

nick

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #22 on: 20 January 2010, 12:06 »
Update time!

Firstly I've picked up a Corbeau Forza Sport 2000 Bucket seat in brand new condition in yellow for a bargain.

A mate also sorted me out with an old GTI drivers seat which I can now butcher and with Mark's help fab up a subframe for it. I'm going this route as it needs to be able to slide due to both me and my Dad driving the car and he's shorter than me!

Secondly when this car was built back in the day it had the VSAM Pro engine management fitted to it which in a nut shell is an ECU that controls the timing and also controls and extra (Digifant style) injector which is mounted in the metering head. This allows you to fine tune the K-Jet system for engines in a higher state of tune.

This is all good stuff except VSAM Pro is very much an antique in the aftermarket ECU world and as it pretty much pre dates the internet information is scant to say the least. However after much searching I found a chap in Oz who used to live here and ran it on a KR powered Corrado. This guy is a legend, he's managed to find a copy of the software for mapping it and is sorting me with a wiring diagram to make up the cable. I just need to pick up a cheap old lappy that has a serial port and Windows 95 or 98 and I'm away!

Lastly I have got myself a TIM Oil Pressure Gauge (Capilary type which I trust more) and a DIN slot 3 gauge holder which hopefully I'll be fitting on friday. The other two gauges are likely to be an Ammeter and an Oil Temp guage but these will be added later.

Cost carried over - £1,001
4 x Toyo T1R's fitted and balanced - £150
Bucket Seat - £65
Oil Pressure gauge and DIN pod - £Free (birthday present)
Old GTI Seat - £Free (thanks James!)
Total - £1,216

Nick
« Last Edit: 20 January 2010, 12:12 by Horney »

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #23 on: 07 February 2010, 15:23 »
Pics of the bucket at last.

Many thanks to Mark for sorting the subframe out and Simon for his welding skills.

And a couple of pics from todays Reading Meet.

nick

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #24 on: 19 March 2010, 19:47 »
Parts to be fitted this weekend

Nick

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #25 on: 24 March 2010, 19:17 »
Lights all working:

Harnesses in:

Bonnet pins and new bonnet fitted:

Thanks to Mark the CV joint has also been replaced but no pics of that.

I have also been on a further shopping spree and have purchased an Oil Cooler off Diamond Hell and some Polycarb windows. I'm getting the 2 1/4 light parts and the NS window from JonLeeper as he bought a set but has a late spec car so they're not needed. I've today ordered the OSF window with a slider and the two rear side windows from a chap on ClubGTI. Keeping the rear screen glass as I like having a demister.

Nick

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #26 on: 20 April 2010, 21:51 »
Update time for this thread with no chat!

Recently fitted has been a rear strutbrace, poly carb windows of which there are no real pics. Next up it went to Springfest.

15.4217 @ 89mph. Well chuffed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMtmiiYLkcc

Next up purchased a MKI GTI oil cooler setup off Diamond Hell.

Oil cooler collected from Mr Hell at the side of the M3. It's the MKI GTI style which has a different filter housing with an inbuilt thermostat and two take offs for the air/oil cooler. Spent yesterday afternoon doing some research on whether to run with or without the stat and figuring out how to get it all to fit. Today I've cracked on and so far got the oil cooler itself physically mounted in the car by fabricating a bracket for the slam panel and hacking out the lower part of the slam panel.

Cost carried over - £1,216
CV Joint - £27
Harnesses - £65
Dash Bulbs - £5
Bonnet Pins - £10
New Rad - £47
Oil Cooler - £40
Polycarb windows - £127
Gearknob - £10 (it's just not a GTI without a proper GTI golf ball)
Total - £1,547

Nick

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #27 on: 27 April 2010, 14:16 »
So 18 months to two years ago the Golf in the hands of Alex the last owner had a loss of oil pressure and needed the bottom end rebuilding. The culprit:

I've been suffering less than perfect pressure myself so today I pulled the pump out.

Look familiar? Seems to be paint and sealant on both occasions!

Oil pressure is now a healthy 20psi (1.37 bar)at idle @ 80deg Oil temp, hurrah!

Not the hardest job in the world but not helped by a paper gasket having been used last time the sump was refitted. It was a right pig to clean it all up.

I'll be cleaning up the old pump and adding it to my increasingly large box of spare parts. I spoke to Alex earlier and he confirmed it had had a new pump when the lump was rebuilt last time.

Took it for a run and pressures are much more respectable. Chuffed.

Cost carried over - £1,547
Oil Pump - £34
Oil Filter - £6
Oil - £26
Total - £1,603

Nick

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #28 on: 26 June 2010, 23:28 »
I need to update this with a few more purchases but for now on with the main event.

Yesterday I did another of the excellent trackdays organised by Richard for the 928 boys down at Castle Combe. It was an interesting day with 5 or 6 red flagged sessions that meant less time on track that I would have liked. THe car however was superb and I came away from the the day with some useful knowledge. Firstly I now know what to do with my tyre pressures on the semi slicks, secondly I need uprated ARB's and thirdly I need to get back to Combe asap. I had such a ball.

Some more pics from yesterday thanks to Mrs Horney:

A vid of a flying lap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynMN5-hsoic

Another vid of a couple of laps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIBAOBi1-Ek

And a vid of my Dad doing a fair few laps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRPPa_2IkNg

Nick

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #29 on: 18 September 2010, 15:53 »
Been a while since I updated this.

I’ve done another trackday which was frankly a disaster. The plastic baffle on the pil pick up pipe decided to take a vacation around my bottom end on the 2nd session of the day. The result being a sudden loss of oil pressure due to all the mashed up plastic clogging up the gauze on the pick up pipe. Let it coole down, quit for the day and nursed it home very carefully! Of course I didn’t realise the cause at the time, just had no oil pressure but none leaking out anywhere. I only found the cause when I pulled the sump the following weekend. Decided to fit a proper baffled sump and a MKIII GTD windage tray to stop this happening again.

After that disappointment I thought my track action for the year was over until a friend recommended entering an Autosolo which I duly did last weekend and it was truly brilliant. I was rubbish and finished 14th out of 17 in class but had a blast. By the end of the day I was much improved and looking forward to doing a few more and getting better results.

Course 4 run 2 with a bit of a mistake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsAuyfIZvPE

Course 4 run3, my best of the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcqINifRIPY

One from the morning going the opposite way to the first two I posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsTHjn9ol-M

Last one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAhFcAY3LUY

Some photos of the day:

120910 064-1 by James_Fabian, on Flickr

120910 063-1 by James_Fabian, on Flickr

120910 062-1 by James_Fabian, on Flickr

120910 052-1 by James_Fabian, on Flickr

120910 044-1 by James_Fabian, on Flickr

120910 043-1 by James_Fabian, on Flickr

120910 040-1 by James_Fabian, on Flickr

Thanks to my mate James for these pics.