Author Topic: bye bye golf!  (Read 15406 times)

Offline BiGUKG

• Here all the time
  • Simples!
bye bye golf!
« on: 26 July 2010, 21:58 »
Here's the pride and joy of the moment, my first car and a 1.3 Golf Ryder. It was my twin brothers first car and we made it how it is today from standard together as a little project. I bought the GTi lights for him, and lent him the money for the wheels, actually, I'm the one who found the car on Autotrader for him and convinced him he HAD to buy it.

He wouldn't be that grateful though since a few months after it needed a new exhaust all the way through, new shock absorbers, new brake pads, work on one of the rear drums AND major work to replace burnt out valves. Anyway, it's been an absolute pleasure to make it as it stands today and as a first car, I couldn't be prouder of it. It drives beautifully, it looks stunning and it's everything a VW should be. So well built, reliable and brilliant!!!

A few pics of how it stands now, I have put smoked side repeaters on it since these were taken weekend before last when I took ownership. I will try and find some pics of what it looked like standard too!

Really genuinely chuffed with how the back looks....

Front looks a little bare, so I've got a GTi grille on its way. Short of buying a big bumper, which I can't afford at the moment I don't know how else to "jazz it up".

Any comments wlecome, but be kind, I love it to bits. I've only had it just over a week and I must of cleaned it (and the bloody wheels!!) enough times to average out atleast once a day, if not more. Can't get enough of cleaning it which I enjoy almost as much as driving it. There's nothing like standing and admiring it spotlessly clean!

« Last Edit: 02 February 2011, 18:36 by BiGUKG »

http://www.vw-southeast.co.uk
"The community for enthusiasts and owners in the South East"

Offline Little JT

• Not said much yet
Re: Tornado Red MK2 Golf Ryder, with GTi bits!!
« Reply #1 on: 26 July 2010, 22:51 »
lOOKS GOOD its nice to see another ryder going around :wink:

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
  • I'm kind of a big deal...
« Reply #2 on: 26 July 2010, 22:55 »
It look lovely that :afro:

Offline BiGUKG

• Here all the time
  • Simples!
« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2010, 23:10 »
Not bad for nearing 20years old, just clocked on to 115k and isn't in bad nick at all all things considered!
My brother owned it for 3 years and only drove it for one of the three, had a job with company cars for a while then brought a lovely MK4 Golf which I'll put some pics up of tomorrow too. I'll try and get some decent one of it clean with the smoked side repeaters too.

Really keen to keep this thread updated with any developments, issues/problems etc although there aren't many. Ultra reliable since it's had the work done.

I do badly need armour door plates though cos some fck faces have tried to break into it with a screw driver! And I don't want that happening again. Does have "Clifford Protected" stickers on the windows, which to be honest are probably more of a detterant (cant spell) than door plates would be! All good for security though and want as much as possible, I'd be so gutted if anything happened to it!!

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #4 on: 26 July 2010, 23:20 »
Loks good :afro:

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
« Reply #5 on: 27 July 2010, 00:29 »
As I have said on my Dubs Thread... Great looking car.... Something to be proud of...

Just need to add the Red Bumper strip (I wouldn't bother with the side stripes as you cant get the proper OEM alloy backed stuff)... and put on some Eibach springs which will lower it to a 16V level... these cost about £130.00 but are worth every penny...

If you are looking for a good OEM look drop the smoked side's and fit clear ones and then get some clear "edition one" bumper lense's, my lad picked some up on here for a fiver & they were proper HELLA ones... Bargin just like your alloys...

Your rear lights are fine as they are 16V smoked ones...

I may have a GTI grille for you... Where are you based???

Look forward to some more piccys....

Lovely Car & she is a credit to you M8... :wink:

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline BiGUKG

• Here all the time
  • Simples!
« Reply #6 on: 27 July 2010, 09:01 »
Thanks mate,

The smoked sides do look lovely, I'll see if you change your mind when you see piccys! It does look good and if I did go down the big bumper route (something I'm not too sure about at the moment!) then I'd probably have smoked bumper lenses too!

I should have one being collected for delivery today mate, but still looking all over for a pair of door plates. There were people sitting outside in a car yesterday looking at the MK2 and the brothers MK4 which makes me so uneasy. I spent all night going to the window to make sure there was no-one trying to get into it! If I catch anyone even looking at it the wrong way, I'll be outside with something heavy in my hand to see them off!!

I'll try and get some more pics on after work today, I'll give it a little bit of a clean first then I'll get some good pics :)

Oh, and you're right. It does really need lowering and I'll look into the Eibach springs. How much would you suggest lowering it though from what it is now? I was thinking about 35mil but I don't know enough about it to buy anything based on a judgement I've made about it. It badly badly needs a GTi set up with the shocks etc though. Body roll by it's bucket load, even on long bends in the road!

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
« Reply #7 on: 27 July 2010, 12:32 »
Eibach springs only come with 2 drops as far as I know... 30 & 60mm i went for the 30mm and that suits me fine..

If the shocks are knacked stick on Boge turbo's from GSF... Its what I have... replace all the topmounts with the OEM MK3 ones and it will improve the handling 100%... Then if still flush but on uprated ARB's I dont know if Eibach ones will fit yours but I guess you gould look at bog std GTI ones...

Ask around the forum... as there are more technical peeps than me..

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline BiGUKG

• Here all the time
  • Simples!
« Reply #8 on: 27 July 2010, 13:39 »
What I really need to do, money permitting, is get up the scrappy with my brother or step Dad, find a half decent MK2 and have everything I can off it! Definitely think lowering it 30mm is on my list of things to do though, but that'll have to go hand in hand with GTi shocks and ARBs.

I took some pictures of it just now (on my lunch break!) so I'll upload those when I get in later on :)

Might be going up to Prept at Brands tomorrow night in the MK4 with my brother and fiancee, but won't be taking the MK2 up there. Might well make an appearance at the August one though!

Offline BiGUKG

• Here all the time
  • Simples!
« Reply #9 on: 29 July 2010, 23:00 »
Just uploaded loads of pics so hope these don't bore anyone but I love all of them in their own way!

At work...

After a clean....

Side repeaters... can see the key type scratch on the wing  :angry:

Showing the condition a bit....

and again...

and finally some pics of the MK2 with my brothers MK4 and the fiancees MK4 Ibiza,

I really do think the side repeaters make the world of difference and look lots better. Next little thing is new number plates, maybe pressed ones but I'm not sure they'd look that nice. To replace the crooked rear one!!