Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2740143 times)

Offline evo GT

• Not said much yet
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #870 on: 13 April 2014, 18:18 »
Took the nice weather opportunity to photograph my GTi collection

http://www.flickr.com/photos/evo_gt/
« Last Edit: 13 April 2014, 18:21 by evo GT »

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #871 on: 13 April 2014, 21:15 »
@monkeyhanger. Apart from them always moving my seat and steering wheel even though I specifically ask them not to Pulman in Sunderland or Durham are good.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #872 on: 14 April 2014, 07:31 »
@monkeyhanger. Apart from them always moving my seat and steering wheel even though I specifically ask them not to Pulman in Sunderland or Durham are good.

That's the other annoying thing. They only drove the car into the workshop and back, but pissed about with every setting or control in the car. Fair do's, move the seat and maybe the steering wheel so you can drive it safely. But do you have to set the climate control to 23C, put the aircon on, change 3 of my DAB presets, change the car from sport to individual then change every setting within individual to something different to what I had?

Pulman from now on, even if it is highly inconvenient for me (due to being further away). Going to ask to speak to the Benfield service manager and request smart repair at their expense.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline JBirchy

• Here all the time
« Reply #873 on: 14 April 2014, 16:52 »
Yesterday I had a great B-Road tussle with my brother-in-law who was in his BMW M135i

Excuse the poor pic, but it was superb! He did get away on the straights but not by as much as you might think. He said he was flat out too!

I do prefer the noise of his though, the straight-6 sounds wonderful! Was also very pleased that I got my golf trolley and big tour golf bag in the boot without having to take any clubs out, or put the seats down!

Done 1500 miles and the car is loosening up very nicely. Feels much keener to rev and fuel economy seems much better! No idea how, but my wife (who has no idea about driving other than to get in and go) is averaging about 38-39mpg driving around our A and B roads.

Wonderful car, really enjoying owning it.
MK7 GTI 3-Door DSG, Tornado Red, Discover Nav, Winter Pack, ACC, Keyless Go, Reversing Camera, Service Pack... Ordered 28th Oct... Collected 1st March!

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #874 on: 14 April 2014, 19:49 »
Rang Benfield up about my cluster of 4 chips with blobs of lacquer that must have happened during the recent warranty work. Service manager said "that couldn't happen" when I explained, but asked me down to have a look after workanyway. Get there at 4:20pm, speak to one of the service lasses at 4:25 to announce my arrival to the service manager, as she'd been busy with a returning customer and she went and saw the manager. "He's on the phone, he'll be straight out when the call ends". A bloke who looked like a manager was in and out of the workshop numerous times, but didn't approach me, I wasn't sure if he was the service manager. At 5:10 I was starting to get a bit pissed off, the service lass had been wall to wall busy with people picking up their cars, so I didnt get the chance to ask her to ask him again. At 5:20, the driver that'd dropped me off at work when I last left my car with them asked me why no-one had seen me  because he'd noticed I'd been there a long time. I told him what had gone on and he went off to find the manager. He came back after 5 mins and said he couldn't find him anywhere. 5:30 and the workshop was all locked up. I finally got approached by the service manager at 5:40, it was the bloke from earlier. Not wanting to argue with him about my wait before he'd seen my car (in case it influenced his decision) we went out and looked at the car.

He said that they wouldn't repair like that if they'd done it. I said that if they'd been left unlacquered, i'd have assumed that i'd been unlucky with stone chips, but as they were lacquered then it wasn't me so must be them. I also said that the fact there was 4 chips in 1 square inch said to me that no stone chip would have peppered an area so small and left the other wing unscathed. He agreed to sort it out, suggesting the front of the wing will need a spray and blend in with the rest rather an smart repair. They will want my car 2 days at the end of the month.

I then questioned him about the wait. He half apologised - what a wayne kerr. If he'd refused all responsibility and made me wait 75 mins, i'd have probably dropped him in the car park.  :evil:

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #875 on: 14 April 2014, 19:56 »
Do you really want them painting your wing they sound like a bunch of cretins. Tried to cover the chips up in the first place and then pi44 you about? I'd be straight onto VW customer service complaining about them. Mill car clinic at boldon are excellent.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #876 on: 14 April 2014, 20:06 »
Do you really want them painting your wing they sound like a bunch of cretins. Tried to cover the chips up in the first place and then pi44 you about? I'd be straight onto VW customer service complaining about them. Mill car clinic at boldon are excellent.

Well he said the repair was a gesture of goodwill as it couldn't really be proven either way, the only way to prove it was to have spotted it at the time and noticed the lacquer still tacky or touch dry but squidgy. With that in mind I think i'll have to let them do it. He did say that if the bodyshop decide smart repair is best then they'll do it. No money is coming from VW to cover this, so for him to offer up the dearest option seemed slightly reassuring.

VW customer services are a complete bunch of sheisters with no real power, and would not be paying (or making Benfield pay) for anyone else to do it. I'm shocked at how thin the TR paint is> I think because it has such great opacity and has to be sprayed in many thin layers to avoid orange peel, VW seem to put very little on. I'll probably not get red again for this reason, even though it looks great (IMO).

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #877 on: 18 April 2014, 17:32 »
Out of curiosity which benfield?
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #878 on: 18 April 2014, 18:37 »
Out of curiosity which benfield?

Silverlink, I took it to Silverlink after vowing never to go to Scotswood Road again.

I took my car to Benfield Scotswood Road for the shock mount bearings last Sept, and they were fixed at 11am, and I was told I was getting a lift at lunchtime, and then they couldn't find my car - it had vanished over the lunch break and then when it was back, they'd put 28 miles on it and only achieved low 30's mpg, so they must've caned it. Whoever it was had reset my odometer, but the mfd menus don't lie and said the car had been out for a 28 mile trip. When I brought this to their attention, I was given the old "it was out for a test drive". If that was the case, why was it ready to collect and then not ready, and no-one knew where it was? The bearing had been creaking so much prior to fixing that a 1/2 mile trip would have confirmed the fix. Some fecker had taken out my GTD for a lunchtime spin, it may have been the first one they'd had through their workshop.

Benfield are a bunch of cnuts!  :angry:

I'm sure they're punishing me for taking a Pulman bought car to them.

In future, even at massive inconvenience to myself, i'll be going to Pulman Sunderland for my servicing/warranty.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #879 on: 18 April 2014, 19:04 »
Before you do that it maybe worth reading posts by mkviken on the mk6 forum hes had issues with both pulman dealerships. Ive met mkviken and so know what issues hes had.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.