Author Topic: Wheel Dilema  (Read 5520 times)

Offline Tally Wacker

• Not said much yet
Re: Wheel Dilema
« Reply #10 on: 16 May 2019, 09:12 »
Cheers guys. I'll check out that shadow chrome, decided whatever I go with blacks not for me.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 16 May 2019, 09:15 »
Personally I'd pack them away and keep them until you come to sell the car. Most secondhand buyers will probably accept that corrosion is the norm, and if yours haven't got too bad yet, they'll more than likely think they are pretty good.

There are quite a few really nice aftermarket wheels that suit the Golf really well. It would be nice to make your car personal to you, but be able to revert it back to standard to appeal to more people when you sell it.

Despite the initial outlay of new wheels, if you look after them, you'll be able to sell them on and recoup some money. If they depreciate by the amount of money you'll spend on a refurb/colour change, you've lost nothing. If you have another Golf that you might like to fit them on, it will save you the £1000+ wheel 'upgrade' option.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 16 May 2019, 09:36 »
Personally I'd pack them away and keep them until you come to sell the car. Most secondhand buyers will probably accept that corrosion is the norm, and if yours haven't got too bad yet, they'll more than likely think they are pretty good.

There are quite a few really nice aftermarket wheels that suit the Golf really well. It would be nice to make your car personal to you, but be able to revert it back to standard to appeal to more people when you sell it.

Despite the initial outlay of new wheels, if you look after them, you'll be able to sell them on and recoup some money. If they depreciate by the amount of money you'll spend on a refurb/colour change, you've lost nothing. If you have another Golf that you might like to fit them on, it will save you the £1000+ wheel 'upgrade' option.

That's a good point.

Think these would look good.

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 16 May 2019, 09:45 »

This is what I did with my mk6 Golf GTD - diamond cut wheels put into storage and a set of VW Rotary’s in anthracite grey powder coat fitted. I traded in my Golf against my current Polo GTI and I’ve done the same - I have the original diamond cut alloys in storage to put back on the car when the time comes to sell it. The Polo GTI is wearing a set of anthracite coloured powder coated VW Motorsport alloys.

Interestingly, when I came to part with the GTD, the VW dealer didn’t want it with the VW Rotary alloys fitted - they wanted the original diamond cut wheels put back on. I had no problem selling the VW Rotary alloys though.

So to the OP; bear in mind that if you part ex your current car against another VW in a few years time, if you’ve changed the finish of the original wheels, it could impact the amount the dealer offers you - of course, there are other options for selling your car (Tootle, private sale etc.), where the buyer might not care whether the wheels are diamond cut or powder coated / painted.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Tally Wacker

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 16 May 2019, 10:16 »
Cheers guys. All very valid points & plenty to think about.

Offline Tally Wacker

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 16 May 2019, 10:56 »
Would putting alternative 19" or even 18" wheels be a straightforward swap over or would other things need to be altered etc? 

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 16 May 2019, 17:51 »
It's not as straightforward as the diameter of the wheel. You also need to consider wheel width, weight, offset and bolt pattern. Best to stick as close to OEM as possible.
7.5 GTD

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 17 May 2019, 16:05 »
Similar to the photos of Santiagos on here, I’d say the Brescias would look good painted in shadow chrome.

Aftermarket wheels for Golfs are easy enough to find but few styles suit the shape of the car really well which is why most people stick with OEM.
5x112 mm PCD, 57.1mm centre bore
ET between 50 and 40 for 8” (can go 35 on rear), and circa ET45 for 8.5” with 235/35/19 tyres if going wider than 7.5J.

18” much cheaper, especially for tyres. They can look a bit small in some styles but Borbet FF1 8x18” look spot on.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Tally Wacker

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 20 May 2019, 17:31 »
Thanks. I've now got 3 of the Bressica wheels showing corrosion. I've been to VW Dealership  where someone from the services desk looked at it (not even from their body shop)& said one wheel has a small chip in it, nowhere near the corrosion & he said the other wheel "looks" like it's been painted!! It's all just bs,  I've had it from Mercedes on my last car & it's any excuse they can come up with to get out of a claim & how can you argue without taking it to court etc. Anyway after careful consideration I've decided I'm having all 4 wheels powder coated in Flash Chrome.if it effects the value of the car later down the line be so be it. But I carnt afford to buy a spare set of wheels & tyres & store the originals for however long I keep the car & I can't be doing with having the wheels recut every year or so. Was a bit concerned about having the wheels refurbished would invalidate the warranty but hopefully apart from the warranty on the wheels (which hasn't been any good for me anyway) I should be ok. I'll probably find the VW Warranty on the whole car will be invalid because I had the wheels refurbished knowing my luck.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 20 May 2019, 18:56 »
You haven't got a warranty on the wheels anyway or they would have agreed to replace them today for you. Getting them refurbed or done a different colour won't affect anything else on your car.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.