Author Topic: NEW GTD arrived at dealer what to look out for?  (Read 5087 times)

Offline ams_sxi

• Not said much yet
NEW GTD arrived at dealer what to look out for?
« on: 17 June 2017, 12:24 »
This is the first time i've ordered a brand new car.

Is there anything I should look out for on collection or ask the dealer to do?

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: NEW GTD arrived at dealer what to look out for?
« Reply #1 on: 17 June 2017, 12:25 »
Check it all over for scratches, dings that can happen during transport.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 17 June 2017, 14:37 »
Look at panel fits, check that the doors and the boot open and close cleanly.

Ask them to show you all of the optional extras that you've ordered - making sure that you know what they are and how they manifest!

Check you've got the GTD chrome inserts on your keys.

Check the locking wheel nut is there.

See if you've got foglights and if not, ask for the money :)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline sadsac

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 24 June 2017, 14:23 »
There's been other threads on this too so check them out
2016 GTD DSG deep black pearl discover pro dynaudio climate windscreen adv tel prep parking pack

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2017, 16:34 »
This is the first time i've ordered a brand new car.

Is there anything I should look out for on collection or ask the dealer to do?

There's lots to look out for if you want to be really thorough. It's easy to get carried away with the occasion when you collect your car; you just see a shiny new car and can easily miss something that might be more difficult (or inconvenient) to get rectified once you've left the dealership.

The list below is fairly comprehensive, although not exhaustive, but will hopefully be useful;
  • Suspension pucks; check that these have been removed, or at least get the dealer to confirm they have.
  • Wheel nut covers and wheel centre caps; have they been fitted?
  • Check the locking wheel bolt key and tools in the boot and the space saver spare is present.
  • All the options that you ordered are on the car and get the salesperson to demonstrate them to you to ensure they're all working.
  • Front fog lights (as you're getting a GTD); check they're present.
  • Check all the electrics (lights, windows, infotainment system etc.) are working.
  • Check bodywork carefully;
     - ask for the car to be inside, under cover and in good lighting, especially if it's a rainy day, as it's not possible to inspect a wet, rain covered car properly.
     - if the dealer normally does the 'unveiling ceremony' (car covered in a blue fabric cover), I would specifically ask for this not to be done. The cover can inflict swirl marks on the paintwork when it's put on and removed.
     - ensure all panel gaps are even and no panels are dented, dinged, scratched, chipped or misaligned, and that there aren't any paint colour/shade differences between panels.
     - check condition of paintwork for paint imperfections (e.g. paint runs or dirt/debris embedded in the paint) and quality of dealer preparation (no swirls or scratches inflicted by the dealer).
    - check there is no damage or marks on the wheels that could be caused by the lashing straps on the transporter lorry when it was delivered to the dealer.
  • Check interior trim for damage - scratched plastic, dirt on seats etc. and the carpet mats are in the car.
  • Check that all manuals are present and in the folder. Check that PDI section of the service book has been completed and stamped.
  • Ensure you have two keys and the plastic ID tag, and the chrome 'GTD' key fob tops have been fitted to the keys.
  • Check underbonnet fluid levels are correct.
  • Check the correct service regime (time and distance or flexible long life) has been set.
  • Check the VIN on the car and accompanying documentation match.

« Last Edit: 24 June 2017, 16:36 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl