Author Topic: Discover Nav Pro vs Standard Nav  (Read 5041 times)

Offline rjwojcik

• Here all the time
Discover Nav Pro vs Standard Nav
« on: 16 July 2018, 22:23 »
OK, so you get the following with the Discover Nav Pro.  Anyone know what the standard Nav comes with?  Any links?

Discover navigation Pro infotainment system  £1,325
Discover Navigation Pro infotainment system - Voice activated control system � responds to spoken voice commands for navigation and telephone functions. 9.2" colour touch-screen control system for navigation, DVD, CD and radio functions and Volkswagen Media Control, allowing remote control of the infotainment system via a smartphone or tablet. 64 GB SSD hard drive. Preloaded European navigation data, 3D map view, three calculated routes (Fast, Short, Eco), dynamic navigation based on TMC+, branded points of interest, Speed Limit Display3, photo display from JPEG and PNG files and SD card reader x 2. �Gesture Control� enables convenient operation of menu functions via a simple sideways gesture, easily select radio stations, songs or photos with a single hand movement. 3-years Car-Net �Guide and Inform Plus� access providing online access to a range of useful information such as traffic, fuel pricing, parking space availability, weather and news feeds. Includes online navigation software updates, enabling you to download the latest map data. Please contact your authorised Volkswagen retailer for full details
Current:
2018 RS4  - Navarra Blue / Black
Gone:
2016 A6 BiTDI - Midnight Blue / Black
2016 Golf GTD with a "lot" of toys
2016 M3 CP - Mineral Grey / Black
2009 135i - Le Mans Blue / Black

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Discover Nav Pro vs Standard Nav
« Reply #1 on: 16 July 2018, 22:52 »
You don't get voice activation, or the hard drive and you won't be able to have map showing on screen and in the virtual dash. You'll lose an SD slot without the pro as the maps are read from the SD card (not sure if this bothers people really). Pro looks much nicer and finishes the dash off. Could you do without pro, probably but it's still the first thing I've ticked on both my mk7 golfs.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline rjwojcik

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 16 July 2018, 23:17 »
You don't get voice activation, or the hard drive and you won't be able to have map showing on screen and in the virtual dash. You'll lose an SD slot without the pro as the maps are read from the SD card (not sure if this bothers people really). Pro looks much nicer and finishes the dash off. Could you do without pro, probably but it's still the first thing I've ticked on both my mk7 golfs.

Thanks
Current:
Gone:

Online Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 16 July 2018, 23:44 »
Standard Discover Nav doesn't have gesture control from the Pro, but thankfully it does have two rotary buttons, which makes operating it on the move far easier than the touchscreen.
7.5 GTD

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 17 July 2018, 08:52 »
The book is harder to decypher than the Enigma and half of the goodies you will never use anyway.
My wife has a PhD and she has sorted it for me, she also does all the navigating when we are on a run  :smiley:

One (major) problem is how it interprets road conditions and trafiic flow.
'Obstructions on the road'  in the UK can sometimes mean a diversion is advised, in France and Spain it is often a white van on the safety lane and a couple of guys with strimmers with nothing in sight for 3km on either side of the autoroute.

The cruise control is superb.
The speed is not via the road sign but its internal maps.
It identifies when your driving on the 'other' side of the road but not when going the wrong way up a one way street (took a Spanish cop to tell me) :rolleyes:

Offline rjwojcik

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 17 July 2018, 12:19 »
The book is harder to decypher than the Enigma and half of the goodies you will never use anyway.
My wife has a PhD and she has sorted it for me, she also does all the navigating when we are on a run  :smiley:

One (major) problem is how it interprets road conditions and trafiic flow.
'Obstructions on the road'  in the UK can sometimes mean a diversion is advised, in France and Spain it is often a white van on the safety lane and a couple of guys with strimmers with nothing in sight for 3km on either side of the autoroute.

The cruise control is superb.
The speed is not via the road sign but its internal maps.
It identifies when your driving on the 'other' side of the road but not when going the wrong way up a one way street (took a Spanish cop to tell me) :rolleyes:

I like the fact the nav will not argue / critisise you if you take a wrong turn, she's very patient with me.  God forbid, if SWMBO is navigating and I do not obey.   :grin:
Current:
Gone:

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #6 on: 17 July 2018, 12:39 »
Standard Nav doesn't get

- Voice activated control system responds to spoken voice commands for navigation and telephone functions. (unless you pay for it separately)
-9.2" colour touch-screen control system for navigation, DVD, CD and radio functions and Volkswagen Media Control, allowing remote control of the infotainment system via a smartphone or tablet. (standard can't play DVD or video files at all)
- 64 GB SSD hard drive. (standard runs from a SD card, sacrificing one of the two available for music)
- 3D map view - (sort of useful)
- Speed Limit Display (from map data)
-photo display from JPEG and PNG files and SD card reader x 2.
- Gesture Control� enables convenient operation of menu functions via a simple sideways gesture, easily select radio stations, songs or photos with a single hand movement.

The rest, it does.

But it can't display the map on the AID and the media unit at the same time - its one or the other on standard. Big feature? Not really, but it is useful if you have it.

TBH I'd say VW nav is a bit lame anyway. Using Android Auto on the basic one and you've got nearly everything the Pro one has, except a MASSIVE screen.

£1350 is a lot of extra cash to spend when basic nav comes "free". If I had to choose between a 800 quid basic nav and a 1300 quid pro nav, that's a bit different, but you don't get the money back for upgrading!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 17 July 2018, 12:57 »
I like the fact the nav will not argue / critisise you if you take a wrong turn, she's very patient with me.  God forbid, if SWMBO is navigating and I do not obey.   :grin:

We used to have some massive "disagreements" over directions with the occasional threat of getting out in some random place and my thinking what a great idea.... She would open the map book and struggle to find the right page let alone give directions when I was at a junction despite having been given a briefing prior to leaving :rolleyes: The advent of directions on her smart phone has done wonders for our respective blood pressures :laugh: Slightly more on topic, I find the built in nav to be average, it's directions can be odd, often too late to be able to follow at a busy junction/roundabout and when you select the route you want at the start it's often difficult to tell which routes it is offering as it is too far zoomed out (perhaps there's a way of zooming in?). So I've just replaced shouting at my OH with shouting at the sat nav... So to me, a smart phone is better and therefore I wouldn't pay the extra for Pro.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 17 July 2018, 13:05 »
I've never used sat nav to get me anywhere - it's just a nice picture to me. But then I'm a map and compass type of guy.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 17 July 2018, 13:28 »
Can't tell you how good the Pro is but the standard is as good as a nav needs to be.

Issues are that it's touch screen so I imagine losing the 2 knobs is a potential problem and can be used on all menus including Apple Carplay (some reviews have said same about no knobs!). Other main issue is entering a postcode which requires too any clicks before you can enter the postcode - gone round the houses before you've even set off!

Looks wise, the std screen in the 7.5 looks fantastic so you'd have to be nuts to pay for the upgrade in terms of it 'looks better'.

Personally, I'd spend the money on something else such as the pan roof or wheels.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey