Author Topic: Golf R in the flesh  (Read 17694 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: Golf R in the flesh
« Reply #120 on: 05 March 2021, 10:26 »
What can we say?  :cool:   :shocked:

https://youtu.be/GdX1YiruB64
Had to turn it off as arsee hamilton, computer says no.
Someone will have to give me cliff notes. :grin:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #121 on: 05 March 2021, 11:40 »
There is a lot of howling by owners of other marques about these R drag races.

Lots of "VW must be cheating"

I am fairly sure that drag race performance is not just a (quoted) power to weight ratio issue.

Its going to be something to do with the powerband and the shift points on the automatic gearboxes. I doubt very much when in "sport mode" that most cars are shifting up at the absolute optimum point, but instead shifting up at the redline (because it looks good on the dials).

I suspect VW could well be "gaming" this, but not for dumb tests like this, but actually have set the car up to actually perform optimally for road use...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline miromen

• Not said much yet
« Reply #122 on: 09 March 2021, 15:39 »

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #123 on: 18 March 2021, 06:01 »
Snoopy’s fave YouTuber again.
Skip to 10 mins as I’m pretty certain the first half would be agonisingly awful to watch.
https://youtu.be/fJ5rmIcJBIY
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #124 on: 18 March 2021, 06:10 »
Skip to 10 mins as I’m pretty certain the first half would be agonisingly awful to watch.

Can’t say I was surprised by the results here. The way that R is pulling away from others in these drag races there had to be more bhp on tap.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #125 on: 18 March 2021, 09:40 »
Archie’s R came off the DMS dyno with 340ps ( it’s basically brand new ) with the anticipation of 350-355ps when it’s done another 2000 - 3000 miles.

He said if you’re redlining, and your revs don’t drop below 5000 the 8R is always above 300ps whereas other cars ( a45, mk7.5r ) drop significantly. So gearing and electronics win

Watch from 12m 30 ish

So I was actually correct in my assumption earlier..... peak power is not the be all and end all in drag racing!

TBH this has been the most ridiculous debating point about road cars that I've seen in a long time. Its even more daft than Ring laptimes. At least a laptime is indicative of handling capabilities on top of flat out acceleration and top speed.

Still, well played VW, you've created an internet sensation and I'm sure your order books will fill up now people aren't talking about haptic buttons, unlit heater controls and the absolutely essential missing bonnet gas strut  :whistle:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #126 on: 18 March 2021, 13:25 »
For my sins i actually skipped most of it and watched the dyno result part last night before seeing this thread only as i was curious. His camera work gives me motion sickness.

Owners like him is why i would pick a Clubsport over the R  :wink:
The 100-200kph times of both are nearly the same so
I'd take the CS over the dragqueen R
« Last Edit: 18 March 2021, 14:13 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline AndyGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #127 on: 18 March 2021, 19:03 »
VW excuse is trying to discourage customer from buying internal combustion.
VW teamed it "Way to zero" apparently it is design to lead customers towards electromobility.
Then make me an ID3R then   :undecided:

Look at the Cupra Born. I believe it’s based on the id3 platform. There will be an id3R. Please forget this post if it never happens.  :grin:
From what I have read they are looking to do a ID3R but not before 2024 (I think they really want to gen next batteries in it, so you can have some performance and some range.

I battled through AHR video beginning to end and was amazed and then read all the comments on VWROC saying oh yeah but the DMS dyno always over reads. But the basic premise about gearing and power delivery still hold and are very interesting what they have managed to do.

2022 Polo GTI, Reef Blue
2022 Audi RS3 Tango Red
2016 Golf R 3dr Manual, Lapiz Blue
2013 Polo BlueGT 3dr, Blue Silk
2007 Polo GTI 3dr, Diamond Black

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
« Reply #128 on: 18 March 2021, 19:23 »
Saw my first Golf R in the flesh today and Tiguan R and I have to say it looked pretty good, as did the Tiguan.  For me it needs the performance pack for the back spoiler and two less doors, but in lapiz blue (or the unavailable moonstone), I could be tempted.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #129 on: 19 March 2021, 08:29 »
Is that VW Northallerton Trev? I've bought my last two GTis from them 👍
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.