Author Topic: Locks with no keys?  (Read 2517 times)

Offline jazzygm

• Not said much yet
Re:Locks with no keys?
« Reply #10 on: 22 April 2004, 18:00 »
Think I might! Will have to see if they say the same thing!
All for a key (p.s. I already have a blank key as well!... its the 16V corrado key with light and sheath  ;D i love ebay  ;D )

Offline JMallows

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 22 April 2004, 18:58 »
I have a car the same age as yours and i just bought a new key, from VAG. He said it wouldn't be too hard to get a key cut, but it would be easier to get it cut from an existing key. I wasn't paying too much though i'm afraid. Try looking for a lock/key code/template on the door. The bloke told me that if i did't have a key then to look for this number and they would cut it from this code. I think when he says they don't keep the codes on file, he means they dont have it to match your car, but the code is on your car. It is possible for them to do it, i just know it!! Look for this coe, then phone up and say can you cut a key to this code......? Let meknow what they say!

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 22 April 2004, 19:43 »
Also, are the door handles all one unit, coz mine have a metal strip inset in them that looks quite nice imo!

you can take that bit out and swap them if needed :)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline jazzygm

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 28 April 2004, 13:05 »
Phoned two completely seperate VW garages now, and they both said the same thing... NO!  ::) Peter Cooper in Southampton were of more use, he said I should try locksmiths as they have special tools to find out the exact shape a key should be for a lock, so I think that's going to be my next step. If not, looks like I'll be getting all new locks...  :-\

Ah, the joys of owning a 16 year old car!!!  ::)

Offline vixteris

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 28 April 2004, 13:12 »
i had a key cut to fit a lock for my fiesta not long ago - it didnt fit all the locks tho, i had to get a seperate one for the door - also had to get out the ignition barrel and i havent got the boot one done yet. all cos i lost one poky key  ::)  make sure u get spares everyone!!  ;)

Blue MK2

« Reply #15 on: 28 April 2004, 14:55 »
just remember mk2 bonnets can be opened from the outside with one long finger or screwdriver. just push the lock, lift open the bonnet, then charge the battery maybe?
« Last Edit: 28 April 2004, 14:57 by Blue MK2 »