Author Topic: Locks with no keys?  (Read 2512 times)

Offline jazzygm

• Not said much yet
Locks with no keys?
« on: 22 April 2004, 13:54 »
My lovely mk2 16v didnt come with a key for ANY of the locks (yeah, its blatantly had a break in previously, but HPI was clear  >:( ) except the ignition, which is fine because it has central locking, but if anything should happen to the battery, I'd be screwed! ::)

So I phoned up Heathrow VW in Ashford.  They dont keep the templates on record, and they couldnt just fabricate a key for the locks... so they want to replace all the locks  :o he reckoned half hour for each lock, with 4/5 locks (glove box!).  He said it was 45 plus VAT per hour of labour.... then he said there wouldnt be any charge for parts as they'd just be using the existing stuff...

Am I about to get ripped off royaly?

Offline Fraiser

• I live here
Re:Locks with no keys?
« Reply #1 on: 22 April 2004, 13:58 »
i reckon you should go and get a lock set of someone who is breaking a golf - shouldnt be too hard to find and wil be a lot cheaper - you should be able to do it yourself mate.

Speedydub

« Reply #2 on: 22 April 2004, 14:01 »
I was just going to say, you could prolly get another set of locks for less........

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 22 April 2004, 14:06 »
can get a whole lock set from www.volksbits.com for not much money :)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline jazzygm

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 22 April 2004, 14:10 »
true, you can, how easy are these to fit?
Also, are the door handles all one unit, coz mine have a metal strip inset in them that looks quite nice imo!

Offline Overseer

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 22 April 2004, 14:14 »
no boot lock either?

coz if the battery does go (i assume it's got remote central locking) then you could climb through to open a door, and/or the bonnet through the boot. have thought about delocking mine since i never use the key to get into it, std thing is to use rear door handles.

and i didnt think HPI covered break ins.. only stolen/recovered/write offs and for if theres outstanding finance
« Last Edit: 22 April 2004, 14:18 by Overseer »
Used to have a '97 MK3 16v GTI 3dr in 'Black Magic'... now have a '55 Civic Type-S...

Offline winstonb

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 22 April 2004, 14:18 »
Im not sure thats true about the templates not being kept, unless they mean that they only keep them fo rso many years...

Anyway, find the lock numers (i think you'll have to take lock barrel out or somthing) and get a blank from VW.  Take blank and number to locksmith and they should be able to sort you out.

Offline Overseer

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 22 April 2004, 14:22 »
hang on.. templates?

the previous owner of my old polo had an extra key made and they had to pay for a 'code'
Used to have a '97 MK3 16v GTI 3dr in 'Black Magic'... now have a '55 Civic Type-S...

Offline winstonb

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 22 April 2004, 14:41 »
i reckon Template=Code.  you look up the code in a book to give the exact shape to cut (thats how i understand anyway)

Offline Overseer

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 22 April 2004, 14:59 »
bah.. i'd phone another dealer, lol