Author Topic: New to the forum problems already  (Read 14402 times)

Offline Serhado

• Not said much yet
New to the forum problems already
« on: 29 April 2019, 20:55 »
Hi so i just bought my first golf and its a 1.8t gti Yreg

Car was all fine however one problem has arised when i full throttle the car it hesitates and doesnt seem to be any more urgent than say half throttle and also when the revs reach to about 4 5k rpm again it hesitates as if ive completly let go of the throttle sometimes to the extent where it feels as thoigh ive pressed the brake pedal instead.
What could be causing this issues anyone with similar problems?

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
Re: New to the forum problems already
« Reply #1 on: 29 April 2019, 22:47 »
Welcome to the forum.
Hesitation as you describe is a difficult one to advise on. Have you been able to scan the car for any fault codes?
Is it in good shape in terms of service and usual stuff, such as air filters replaced etc?

Build thread clicky

Offline Serhado

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 30 April 2019, 14:32 »
Hi thanks for the reply yes i have a fualt code p0172 which isnalong the lines of car running too rich.

Also have noticed my coolant tempreture guage rises extremely slowly and in town barely manages to get to 90°c and on motorway sticks to around 70 80° i mean because i cant step on it extremely hard because of the given fault at hand mototway speeds it rarely gets anywhere near 90

Offline Simeon

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 30 April 2019, 16:31 »
Ok, so first step is a new coolant temperature sensor, easy to change and cheap (do it when engine is cold!). If this is faulty then you could be getting incorrect readings to ECU and the dash - common cause of rough running as will cause it to run rich (P0172 fault code..)

If you still aren't getting up to temperature on the dash after changing sensor then you need a thermostat and coolant flush - thermostat will be stuck open preventing the engine getting up to temp.

Clear codes, take for a run and rescan and see what you get.

Also, give it a full service if it is new to you and you've not done it already
« Last Edit: 30 April 2019, 16:33 by Simeon »

Offline Serhado

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 30 April 2019, 20:20 »
Thanks alot mate do you have a place i can buy geneiune vw parts from or is eurocarparts good enough

Offline Simeon

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2019, 11:21 »
Genuine VW parts from the dealer (I tend to go to Skoda as it's sometimes cheaper) or just buy a known brand from GSF/ECP/Ebay, think last one I fitted was a Febi one and was fine, cost £10ish

Do double check, but I believe you want 059-919-501-A for the temp sensor

eg: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OEM-Germany-VW-AUDI-SEAT-SKODA-4-PIN-WATER-COOLANT-TEMPERATURE-SENSOR-059919501A/191571988595?hash=item2c9a949073:g:GqUAAOSwVtZaKBW9

I tend to reuse the o-ring and clip off the old sensor, but some prefer to replace - some sensors are supplied with these parts, some without, so check when you buy if you're bothered
« Last Edit: 01 May 2019, 11:29 by Simeon »

Offline Serhado

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 01 May 2019, 20:34 »
Thanks for your reply mate but bad news ive got a few problems mechnaics saying turbo needs changing

P0102 Mass airflow sensor signal too low intermittent
P1200boost pressure control valve(n249) mechanical malfunction
P1297 prrssure drop between turbo and throttle
P1137 fuel trim bank 1 (add) system too rich

Looks as tho i may have been sold a fualty car and because its private cant do f**k all

Offline Simeon

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 02 May 2019, 11:16 »
You could also just need to fit a temperature sensor.. :p

Fair enough, I'd get a second opinion though before chucking a grand at a new turbo etc [or scrap it and buy another]

Offline Serhado

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 02 May 2019, 13:27 »
Second hands going for 80 quid on ebay and 150 labor so the cost dont worry me im just thinking the turbo is stuck the guy i bought it off has only using this for nips to the shop what not hes barely used the turbo i reckon i just need to some how clear the gunk build up because boost comes in fine only when you rev to say about 4 5 k does ot hesitate then a little while later the eml will come on.

He said theres nothing wrong with the sensor it comes to 90 then the thermo opens and cools it back down to 60 70. If im not mistaken everyother car ive owned has always stuck at a healthy 90 once it warmed up.

Im getting another opinion today lets see what he says

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 03 May 2019, 00:46 »
Second hands going for 80 quid on ebay and 150 labor so the cost dont worry me im just thinking the turbo is stuck the guy i bought it off has only using this for nips to the shop what not hes barely used the turbo i reckon i just need to some how clear the gunk build up because boost comes in fine only when you rev to say about 4 5 k does ot hesitate then a little while later the eml will come on.

He said theres nothing wrong with the sensor it comes to 90 then the thermo opens and cools it back down to 60 70. If im not mistaken everyother car ive owned has always stuck at a healthy 90 once it warmed up.

Im getting another opinion today lets see what he says

Your problems nothing to do with the turbo don't take it back near the mechanic your using it will be a sensor at fault or a boost leak