Poll

Should I maintain a full VW service history on on 63 plate GTI pp?

Yep, stick with VW
7 (25.9%)
Doesn't matter, go to a decent indy and save a few pounds
20 (74.1%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Maintain a full VW service history?  (Read 4287 times)

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: Maintain a full VW service history?
« Reply #10 on: 10 February 2021, 22:46 »
Little off topic sorry :wink: what mileage do ye allow between service as book a little confusing?

It will depend on whether your car is set to time/distance servicing regime or longlife servicing regime. You can see when your next service is due by going into the settings submenu on the MIB screen.
7.5 GTD

Offline ExeNS

• Just got here
« Reply #11 on: 11 February 2021, 12:01 »
Thanks all for your thoughts - trusted indie it is!

Thanks Exonian for the recommendation too, I hadn't come across Volkscraft before so will definitely check them out when the time comes.

Little off topic sorry :wink: what mileage do ye allow between service as book a little confusing?

I'll be going for 10k miles or 1 year. I tend to do about 8k miles a year, so expect it will be annual for me.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 23 February 2021, 19:39 »

On my mk5 it seems like it's every 3k miles, on the mk7 I do every 5-6k miles.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #13 on: 23 February 2021, 21:23 »
Should be quite clear from the service book but failing that, just look at the car itself, it will tell you how long until the next service.

It's definitely not 5 or 6k...I've had Ducatis with a longer service interval than that and a volkswagen is definitely not a temperamental Italian superbike.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 24 February 2021, 19:09 »
In my mind using a local garage is as good or better than a VW one. First of all they don't massively over charge you and often the mechanics have more experience. Dealer often have apprentices that get given the smaller/simple jobs VS experiment mechanics at a local garage.

Another thing and I don't know how common this is or if it's just certain manufacturers. A relative of mine was told by his mechanic that the Peugeot dealer doesn't use genuine parts once the car is out of warranty, but he will order genuine parts from them. Sure enough, he called the garage up and asked if they use genuine parts for repairs once the cars out of warranty. The woman on the phone confirmed that they use 'as good as genuine' parts once it's out of warranty. Sounds like a cost cutting thing to me to make their profits bigger

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 24 February 2021, 20:10 »
With Peugeot I'd doubt very much if you could say that any parts are "genuine". They are infamous for swapping suppliers and even versions of parts as cars are slapped together on the assembly line.

I've never seen so much craziness as trying to find replacement parts for a Peugeot.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 25 February 2021, 11:16 »
Should be quite clear from the service book but failing that, just look at the car itself, it will tell you how long until the next service.

It's definitely not 5 or 6k...I've had Ducatis with a longer service interval than that and a volkswagen is definitely not a temperamental Italian superbike.

I'm not saying everyone has to do 5/6K servicing, I just do it as I like fresh oil in the car. I think last year my car had 4 oil changes  :whistle:

Every 10k is suitable for most people, I just don't understand people doing 20k servicing...
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 25 February 2021, 11:25 »
20k servicing is for high mileage.... its the long life service interval and its the standard one set on all Mk7 golfs. Its 20k or every 12 months, whichever comes soonest (mine actually is currently b!tching about a service in 20 days despite me having done about 2k since last service!)

And the oil used for long life is the same one as is used for the low mileage annual interval.

If you are someone using a car for 20k miles a year (which I am), you aren't keeping it forever (unless you are nuts) and during its limited life with you its not going to cause any issues and even if it does, VW warranty will cover it.

On average, UK cars have a 10 year life...and will be built with this in mind.

You just have to think about it like that.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 25 February 2021, 12:07 »
Every 10k is suitable for most people, I just don't understand people doing 20k servicing...

If the oil is suitable then there is nothing wrong with longlife servicing. I had a new Audi A4 in 2003, ran it on the variable servicing which worked out at about 20 month intervals (or about 14k miles). I sold the car in 2015 to a friend who is still using it. Not sure on current mileage but well over 100k by now.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 25 February 2021, 12:17 »

If the oil is suitable then there is nothing wrong with longlife servicing. I had a new Audi A4 in 2003, ran it on the variable servicing which worked out at about 20 month intervals (or about 14k miles). I sold the car in 2015 to a friend who is still using it. Not sure on current mileage but well over 100k by now.

Agreed, use the correct oil and service as soon as the car tells you to. Should be fine.
7.5 GTD