Author Topic: GTD Sound Actuator  (Read 82339 times)

Offline westwoap

• Not said much yet
GTD Sound Actuator
« on: 19 September 2013, 13:42 »

Hi folks

Just joined the VW crew and ordered (21/08/2013) a Tornado Red GTD which is due for delivery 29/01/2013.

Ive been looking at this forum and must say its superb.

I do have a question and thats about the sound actuator. Ive been hearing different things about it and was wondering if you could clear up a couple of questions

1) Does it make any difference to the exhaust notes when in Sport mode or any mode in that matter
2) Is it just a sound that comes through the speakers?
3) Does it just create a vibration through the windscreen to give the rumbling sound of a petrol engine?

Any help would be appreciated

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: GTD Sound Actuator
« Reply #1 on: 19 September 2013, 13:55 »
It makes quite a difference to the sound of the car (internally). There seems to be a little sound actuator action in “normal” (engine seems louder than when in “eco” and a lot in “sport”.

I wasn’t a fan of the sound actuator when I got my car a week ago, it sounded rattly/rumbly rather than hummy/rumbly (like my Scirocco was). The engine note somehow seems different now, more raspy (probably just in my mind) and I now prefer it. I would guess at a device behind the windscreen causing the noise – this is how it worked on the Scirocco 170TDI and MK6 GTD.

If you don’t like it, you can set the engine to “normal” within “individual” driving mode and have everything else set to “sport” (like steering etc) – although it will dull the throttle response to do this (seems no way of separating sound actuator from pedal response within “engine” setting). You could unplug it if you never want to hear it again but want the “sport” throttle response.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline me109

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 20 October 2013, 15:20 »
Between 1-2 k rpm in sport mode a get a very nasty buzzing noise I hate it, sounds cheap.
Audi veteran, on order 1st VW..  GTD, Black, Dynaudio

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 20 October 2013, 16:08 »
Between 1-2 k rpm in sport mode a get a very nasty buzzing noise I hate it, sounds cheap.

Sure it's the actuator correctly doing it's stuff? Mine has a buzzy rattle at around 1500rpm, behind the radio. I'm convinced it's a fault (like the heater matrix pipes vibrating) rather than the actuator. I will be paying a visit to the dealer for warranty work on it and the squeaky/creaky front drivers side shock mounting/bearing.

Offline me109

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 20 October 2013, 17:31 »
Monkeyhanger sounds like you have the same faults as me. The front suspension has just started rattling too. Calling the dealer in the morning.
Audi veteran, on order 1st VW..  GTD, Black, Dynaudio

Offline andyk11

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 20 October 2013, 19:17 »
I've got the buzzing noise as well... in sport mode from low revs it's behind / to the left of the radio.

I've also got very squeaky suspension at < 25mph on uneven roads... mostly when the car is being jostled from side to side.  A trip to the dealer is in order methinks.
Tornado Red GTD ordered 25th April, confirmed BW34. Built sometime in BW36, now in the UK and delivered 27/09 :-)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 20 October 2013, 21:08 »
I'm going to finish appraising the TDI-tuning.co.uk box before I put mine in for remedial work and maybe get my parking brake sensors done (I had a single handbrake failure about a week into ownership).

Offline Skinnee D

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 04 November 2013, 17:59 »
Just noticed that the latest price list offers a GTD "exhaust sound actuator" for about £250 but it doesn't make clear if this is the speaker in the exhaust system, or just the internal sound that was previously included as standard.
GTD + 3 pedals :-)

Offline neilgcal

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 04 November 2013, 20:29 »
Yeah this is what I would really like to know. I'm BW 44 so should be built but I'm not and now in BW 45 where it costs extra. From the test drive the GTD defo has it when you drive in sport profile inside but not out. Would like some sound in it!! Can cope with none outside.

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 05 November 2013, 09:30 »
Yeah this is what I would really like to know. I'm BW 44 so should be built but I'm not and now in BW 45 where it costs extra. From the test drive the GTD defo has it when you drive in sport profile inside but not out. Would like some sound in it!! Can cope with none outside.

Its odd... car manufacturers have worked hard for years to significantly reduce nvh to the point where they are now having to artificially add it...  :laugh:

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)