Author Topic: Mk4 sump removal  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Rogersdave77

• Just got here
Mk4 sump removal
« on: 10 December 2016, 12:32 »
Hi, I have a split in my sump, I have the replacement sump and got all nuts loose except the deep set one at gearbox end.... I am using ball head hex but the nut has been rounded of in center, I have tried getting a socket on it but because of the angle I can't get on to it.... Has anybody had experience of the? How do I get it out?!?!

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: Mk4 sump removal
« Reply #1 on: 10 December 2016, 14:11 »
Use a tork slightly bigger or a spline and tap it in.

Offline Rogersdave77

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 10 December 2016, 17:09 »
I have sorted it ☺️ the bolt housing was screwed, undid all bolt, knocked the sump and it came off. New sump is back on.... Just gotta wait 24 hours for sealer to harden.

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
« Reply #3 on: 10 December 2016, 21:03 »
Glad you got it sorted...bit curious how the sump got the split in the first place...did you hit something, or did it just appear?
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline Rogersdave77

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 10 December 2016, 21:42 »
The car has been sat a while on mates drive, took it for mot and nothing was said, drove it all day Thursday, and then I saw 5 litres of oil on my drive. Very tiny split that opened up as the sump got hot oil in it, guess the oil got thinner also and leaked out.
Got the sump on ebay, paid for delivered and fitted in less than 36 hours 😂😂😂

Offline Rogersdave77

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 10 December 2016, 21:45 »
There are signs on the sump that something hard had been run over at some point.... I am guessing a curb when someone has parked it up at road side.

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
« Reply #6 on: 10 December 2016, 22:10 »
Thanks mate...that makes sense to me. I have a similar model and I was a bit worried about it being a common fault.

Good job with the replacement.

:smiley:
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline Rogersdave77

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 10 December 2016, 22:15 »
Will only find out if it's a good job when I put oil in her and run her for a bit with no leaks 😂😂😂
By the way... If anybody need to do there sump swap there are gaps in the flywheel so you can get to the two stubborn deep set bolts..... Just put car in gear, raise one wheel off ground and have a mate gently turn the wheel while you look up at bolt until gap comes round....