Author Topic: Dealer prep left buffer trails -help!!  (Read 9842 times)

Offline SimonHunterBelfast

• Just got here
Dealer prep left buffer trails -help!!
« on: 03 December 2016, 07:05 »
Hi all,
been reading a lot on this forum, but first time poster! Would appreciate some advice from those who've been there before and done it sort of thing . . .

I picked up my new Mk7 GTi at the start of November and am absolutely delighted with the car itself. However, and it's a big however, the overall exterior paintwork was rough, which the dealer agreed to fix. I left it to them for two days and got it back but couldn't assess the work due to a combo of work and also the lack of strong sunlight at this time of year.

I returned to my work carpark last night (Friday) and noticed that the car park lights were showing up buffer trails. I got home and tested using a strong led light and the whole car is covered in buffer trails. I immediately rang the sales guy and they are going to speak to their bodyshop on Monday.

I'm not confident that they have the expertise to fix it, so I anticipate an interesting discussion this coming Monday!!

Should I suggest that an external detailer do the corrective work and the dealer picks up the bill? What rights do I have? What are alternative options open to me?

thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: 03 December 2016, 11:07 by SimonHunterBelfast »

Offline Pinky1959

• GTI forum regular
Re: Dealer prep left buffer trails -help!!
« Reply #1 on: 03 December 2016, 15:04 »
I would strongly advise them you are not happy and I would hold out for a detailer of your choosing to do the work and they should pay and give you a courtesy car while its in getting done , after all they have tried to fix it and mucked  it up big time .
Good luck stick out for what you want and let us know what they say.

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 04 December 2016, 08:51 »
I would strongly advise them you are not happy and I would hold out for a detailer of your choosing to do the work and they should pay and give you a courtesy car while its in getting done , after all they have tried to fix it and mucked  it up big time .
Good luck stick out for what you want and let us know what they say.
Thanks Pinky1959, I'll update on here tomorrow.
The dealership is v professional in almost every way, and I've been v pleased with them through the whole buying process. Indeed I've used their bodyshop on a couple of ocassions and have been just as pleased with them.
I'm thinking that its a case of a person in the bodyshop using a Rotary polisher, when a DA was required. Maybe they just don't have a DA? I don't know.

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 05 December 2016, 22:10 »
Well, Good news, the dealer got in touch and left a vm this evening.

He's suggesting putting it to a local detailer in Belfast PMG Autocare - http://www.detailingbelfast.co.uk/ who's work I don't really know, except that I had been on to his website a few times and his facebook page. And he works on the premium brands so he must be doing something right.
I don't know what he is offering yet in terms of repair/restore, but I might call by on my way in to work tomorrow morning and see what he proposes to do to get it right...

So, halfway to a result!
 :rolleyes:

Offline Pinky1959

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 25 July 2017, 13:27 »
Thread revival

How did you get on with getting the paintwork sorted ?

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 20 December 2018, 19:23 »
PMG sorted it out. V professional, explained the work they were going to do. Left it with them for a couple of days and went swimmingly.