Author Topic: Timing Chain tensioner Failure List (timing issue)- Please Update with Your Info  (Read 362531 times)

Offline andygo

• GTI forum regular
I would have thought >2011 cars would be ok, but I can only comment on Golf gti tsi engines really.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
If anyone would like to dig through the 35 pages and find the relevant details from owners not on the list on the first page I will update it with their info. I simply haven't had time to do so.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Clarkie

• Just got here
Timing chain slipped or snapped on my 59 plate golf gti just before Xmas. Has been with the dealer the last week and 1/2. No previous knocking noise that I could tell just would not start that morning. Paid visit to the dealers this morning car after they had stripped it down needs a new engine! 40k odd miles... 6.5k

Not long off the phone to VW customer services.....raging

Offline joe6

• I live here
Timing chain slipped or snapped on my 59 plate golf gti just before Xmas. Has been with the dealer the last week and 1/2. No previous knocking noise that I could tell just would not start that morning. Paid visit to the dealers this morning car after they had stripped it down needs a new engine! 40k odd miles... 6.5k

Not long off the phone to VW customer services.....raging

Hope your discussion with VW customer service was fruitful. Under sale of good act 1979:

Quote 'Beyond six months, it's up to you to prove that the problem was there when you received the goods even if it has taken until now to come to light.

So, you may need to prove that the fault was not down to ordinary wear and tear or damage you caused, and that the product (or a component) should have lasted longer than it did.

To do this you may need an expert's report, for example, from an engineer or a mechanic.

Always try to keep the cost of any report proportionate to the value of the claim and, if you can, try to agree on an expert you and the seller both agree has the necessary expertise.' end of quote

So since the chain is not a service item (check at 120k is the service schedule) and failed in normal use they should be footing the bill.

Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Clarkie

• Just got here
Stilling waiting to here the outcome.. To be fair the VW Customer Services team have been very good on the phone but holiday period has made it hard to get a resolution. Been without the car for over 2 weeks now and still no idea what is going to happen.

Offline Clarkie

• Just got here
I tell you, all you people previous in this thread that have had this issue and received good will from VW or your dealerships you dont know how lucky you are!

Im banging my head against a wall between my dealer and customer services and getting nothing at all.

Waiting for a response from the service manager with a detailed account of what has failed in the engine and what has caused the catastrophic failure. I have involved citizens advice in fact anyone that will
listen :grin:

surely this is not right??

Offline Rgdogg

• GTI forum regular
Give Ben at servicing a ring at VW Crosshills, he will be able to advise you better than anyone, he sorted a few chain tensioners off this forum!
Gti, Candy White, 3door, DSG, Leather, Rear LEDs, Bluefin, Milltek, vwr intake, Focal speakers.

Offline Clarkie

• Just got here
Thanks for the reply.

Bit far south for me Im based right up in the north of Scotland so they probably cant do anything. The reason for no goodwill is becuase I have not had the car serviced by the VW garage the last two years while out of warranty. My tact is this is a well know issue with this model of car and VW should be doing something about it. FACT

They have even admitted to me what has caused the catostrophic failure.

Offline charlie

• I live here
As long as it has been serviced within vw standard servicing and you have proof of this then the man on the moon can service it. It shouldn't make a difference.
2012 black pearl Golf gti mark 6 5 door leather cruise 510rns bluetooth acc dab sunroof park assist rear camera parking sensors storage pack and the luxury pack :-) sold :/( now aiming a 2013 passat alltrack

Offline LUB

• Just got here
So after a month of negotiating, I got some form of outcome.
First quote was for £6.7K and VW were prepared to pay 50% of it. I rejected this highlighting that I bought the car from a dealer and had full VW service history and that no-one ever ever mentionned the possibility of this problem occuring.

2 days later I had a final offer for me to pay £1,250 for a new engine with 2 years warranty and the diagnostic fees waved as well (as one would expect).

I was hoping for more, but with the car being only 48K miles, I do want it sorted.