Author Topic: Golf Mk2 Driver 1.8 '91 - Desperate help needed!  (Read 5377 times)

Offline KRdubber

• Not said much yet
Re: Golf Mk2 Driver 1.8 '91 - Desperate help needed!
« Reply #20 on: 27 February 2012, 08:46 »
Yeah thats right they are in the carb. I used a compressor, never used it in a can but cant imagine it being very effective.
A full strip down is probably nescessary as dirt can get lodged not only in the jets but in a number of places inside the carb, just make sure you remember where everything goes! and i assume you have a spark on all cylinders?

Offline Billy213

• Not said much yet
« Reply #21 on: 27 February 2012, 08:56 »
Yeah it wasn't ideal but it's all I have access to at home. I've found a few posts on another forum that recommended changing the rubber gasket the carb sits on as they fail regularly. £13 online so I'll change that whilst I'm at it. The problem they had was with one of the sealing faces so had to use hylomar.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #22 on: 27 February 2012, 09:15 »
The rubber gasket could be the issue here, definitely worth changing.

You've mentioned that you're running a Weber carb.  Do you have any hooky cold air feeds on the intake?  Icing is a common issue on these set ups and this will be exacerbated by a cold air feed, rather than the OEM induction set up.

Also make sure the hedgehog intake manifold heater under the inlet is hooked up - big red lead comes out the back of the motor.  These things can can disconnected when works is done and suddenly when the temperature drops you're in sh*t street with a motor that won't run.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Billy213

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 27 February 2012, 20:23 »
It's still running the original air intake box etc. but with a k&n filter. Not sure what you mean by the rest of it but I did notice there was an air pipe missing from the left side of the engine to the intake. It was like that when I bought and it hasnt been particularly cold recently. 

Offline T~L~C

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 27 February 2012, 22:38 »
You can get carb icing without it being cold, damp air alone can do it, I used to get bad spluttering / stalling on a 1.3 which was missing the air intake pipe... new air pipe & it ran perfectly... worth a try.

Offline Billy213

• Not said much yet
« Reply #25 on: 27 February 2012, 22:46 »
Right, I'll add that to my list then. Any links to what sort of pipe it is? I'm guessing similar to the one that goes into the right side of the air box, behind the filter, and into the rocker cover.

Could a poorly fitted air box also be a cause? I've noticed it wobbles around a bit, not the most secure feeling connection to the carb. I know it wont just fall off but it has a fair bit of play in it.

Offline KRdubber

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 28 February 2012, 09:24 »
The rubber flange could cause it take your airbox off completely and you can see the rubber flange it sits on, has it got a hole in it or is it hanging off? does it start with the airbox off? and how big is this pipe you say is missing, if you could post some pics i might be able to point out something obvious.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #27 on: 28 February 2012, 10:12 »
The rubber flange is under the carb.

The pipe that's been mentioned is the hot air pipe off the manifold and must be there to ensure the car runs right in cold weather.

Make sure the vacuum pipe is also present there - switches the hot/cold air intake.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline KRdubber

• Not said much yet
« Reply #28 on: 28 February 2012, 10:32 »
Yeah sorry i meant take your airbox off and you can see the flange the carb sits on.
Being a Weber has it got manual choke?
If the hot air pipe is missing it is a factor but in this weather it should atleast start.
It should start fine without the airbox on at all.

Offline Billy213

• Not said much yet
« Reply #29 on: 28 February 2012, 12:59 »
It starts fine with the air box off.

I'd say the pipe should be roughly an inch in diameter and runs into the air intake pipe.

Yep manual Weber. Gonna take the whole carb off when I'm back home and replace the rubber regardless of condition. The carb its self looks fairly old. I never even realised it had a webber fitted in the first place because it looked too old.