Author Topic: Common Problems With Mk7 GTI  (Read 5547 times)

Offline Imjustsid

• Just got here
Common Problems With Mk7 GTI
« on: 30 June 2016, 13:18 »
Hey guys,

I am a complete newby to this forum, but i am looking at buying a DSG Mk7 GTI  looking at getting 2013 (13-63 Plate), I was originally going for a Mk6 but i`ve managed to scrape a bit money together!

I was hoping that you guys could point out some commons issue i should look out for or beware of?

Cheers,

Sid

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
Re: Common Problems With Mk7 GTI
« Reply #1 on: 30 June 2016, 13:38 »
At that age it might still be in warranty so you've nothing to worry about.
Have you looked at the cost of a new one?
It might surprise you as the % rates are better on new as well as the dealer contribution and if you buy from a broker like drivethedeal or get your local dealer to match, you might find you are better off with a new one.

If you are willing to post your deposit and monthlies folk can advise you further.

For instance a new 5dr GTI DSG on DTD is £22,895 (includes dealer contribution) that works out at £1k deposit at £297 a month.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 30 June 2016, 19:22 »
You did the right thing stretching for a MK7 - the ride and refinement as well as the level of standard equipment is massively improved over the MK6. Not a lot to avoid with the MK7 except a manual GTI/R that has been chipped or running a box - the manual clutch seems to not have much overengineering, and a few turbos have blown too - the GTD seems to have more scope for upping the performance - have you considered a GTD with a box? GTI beating performance (once moving - the GTI will still be a little quicker off the line), amazing mid-range and diesel economy.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 01 July 2016, 11:17 »
Personally I would take the GTI over the GTD any day purely on the fact that the GTI is the most iconic Golf ever. Yea you can spend money on a tuning box / remap and get it as fast as a GTI but if you want speed get it done to the GTI and you can get the R's performance..

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 01 July 2016, 15:51 »
Fingalonga: I wouldn't dare map my R or a GTI - too many knackered clutches (manual) and turbos. The GTI and R don't seem to be overengineered, unlike the GTD and the TDIs in general. I do feel the GTD looks better than the GTI too with the nicer wheels and no lipstick through yhe front light assemblies. 300ps in FWD may prove a tad slippery too.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Pukeylukey

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 01 July 2016, 16:38 »
+1 for the Gti, I rather like the "lipstick" on mine 👍
Mk7 gti

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 01 July 2016, 17:58 »
At that age it might still be in warranty so you've nothing to worry about.
Have you looked at the cost of a new one?
It might surprise you as the % rates are better on new as well as the dealer contribution and if you buy from a broker like drivethedeal or get your local dealer to match, you might find you are better off with a new one.

If you are willing to post your deposit and monthlies folk can advise you further.

For instance a new 5dr GTI DSG on DTD is £22,895 (includes dealer contribution) that works out at £1k deposit at £297 a month.

Or just rent a new one

https://www.gateway2lease.com/cars/volkswagen/golf-hatch/golf-hatch-2.0tsi-220-gti.php?id=7076533

£200 plus deposit
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 01 July 2016, 18:01 »
Yeah I would definitely look at leasing. Although that deal is only 5k miles a year.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 01 July 2016, 18:21 »
Yeah I would definitely look at leasing. Although that deal is only 5k miles a year.

Instant gratification stock car!

They will do other parameters, but sometimes the deal loses its special pricing when you ask for more mileage.
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Offline Imjustsid

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 01 July 2016, 19:25 »
Hmmm it's defiantly a option! I'll nip in to the dealers and see what deals they can offer and have look online.

I think leases and pcps are only good if your looking at changing your car every 3 years, I just want to keep it for a year or so have fun and then buy a more sensible "family" car.

I'll let you guys know how I get on.