Author Topic: Timing Chain tensioner Failure List (timing issue)- Please Update with Your Info  (Read 365607 times)

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
Right after reading peoples comments i take it i should get the car checked before anything happens to the chain ? Ive just bought the car its done 49k miles 09 plate. Whats the solution before i get the problem on the car ? I dont want to end up going to the garage and them making more money of me then they should.

Yes you should get it in asap and get on the required parts changed. An indie garage charge about £300-£500, but its defo worth it and the peace of mind is such a relief.

There is post in this thread with all part number needed.

Does this only effect golfs, or is it an issue on other vw group vehicles? Would an 09ish 2.0 tsi Tiguan or Passat have the same hardware and potential issues? Particular engine codes to look out for?

Yes it effects loads of 2.0 TSI engines from 09-10. I would get it checked out if i were in your position and google to see if its a problem on your model.
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline josh ack

• Just got here
Hi, took my car to Lookers VW I'm Middlesbrough as the chain is rattling on start up. they looked at the car and and have diagnosed it as the chain tensioner, but rang me as the man who does the warranty reports doesn't think I have a claim so I'd have to pay unless it actually fails on me, is this right as obviously id rather it be fixed under warranty than it break on me when I'm not expecting. I have 10 months das welt warranty. Thanks

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
I was under warranty, I got the service tech to push it through as a failed tensioner even though it had not failed fully.

If its failing to do its job correctly they can push it through.
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

Offline Gaz-M

• Not said much yet
Ive now changed mine to the updated version as a precaution.

Parts needed are tensioner, metal timing cover and oil/ filter ideally.

No more worries when starting the car!

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
Ive now changed mine to the updated version as a precaution.

Parts needed are tensioner, metal timing cover and oil/ filter ideally.

No more worries when starting the car!

You might also want to keep an eye on the below part, as this happened to me 9 months after having the tensioner changed.

NEW UPDATE - 03/02/2015

So it turns out the Gauze on the bearing housing had cracked and come off, luckily is hadn't gone far, it got stuck at the end of the tunnel so was easy to pick out. Martin the head tech at VW Crosshills explained that yet again it is another bad design by VW and there has been two revisions to the bearing housing since 2009.

This is the damage, you can see that 90% of the gauze had gone. :angry: :angry:

So they replace the bearing bush housing and the magnet (said they have to buy as a set). they were both fitted the next day and all seemed well, no rattle on start up and engine sounded fine. I got about 7 miles down the road and engine management light came on. So I scanned it when I got home and it threw this error code:

1 Fault Found:
000017 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): Retard Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)
               P0011 - 000 -  -  - MIL ON

Googled it and it came back with a few causes, mainly timing issue. Spoke to Ben at VW and he said bring it back and we will have a look again.

The head tech spend two days looking into and couldn't find an issue with the timing or anything else in the engine. To cut this story short he finally got to the bottom of it. It was caused by the below part not opening and shutting properly, the part is called Central Valve (for the cam) Part number: 06H 109 257 C. After replacing that the car has been starting and running sweet. So great job by the guys at VW Crosshills again. Cant thank them enough.

I just wanted to post this if anyone else who has had the timing chain done and then the noise comes back 6+ months later.

It will either be the Cam Shaft Magnet Assembly or this little valve thing:

Offline Gaz-M

• Not said much yet
Ive seen this pop up lately, so id rather fix it too. Mine is a mid 2010 car so may be the better design.

So where is this located, what part numbers are needed etc?

Revised parts available?

Is it a big job?

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
these are the parts i had installed / changed last time under warranty:

Offline Gaz-M

• Not said much yet
Nice one, is that 3 hours labour theyve charged? Is this thing under the cam cover for access?

Any idea what the 5 parts listed actually are, especially the more expensive parts?

Offline Scottw

• Not said much yet
Thinking of buying a gti....
Is there a list of part numbers I can use to see if it's got the latest tensioner fitted,believe there has been 4 different ones ?
Can this be checked while engine is in car ?

Has anyone had the new design fail or is it sorted now,

Is it easy to check the camshaft problem ?-any revisions on this part ?

Offline Bobbydazzlerr

• Not said much yet
Could anyone tell me where i can buy the latest chain tensioner? And how much are they? Dont vw do a recall on them?
Full blueflame 3inch turbo back system sports cat, pipercross panel filter, revo stage 2 remap 290 bhp 350 lbft, neuspeed short shift, heko wind deflectors, forge blow off valve.